[Pro] Master items, inserted losing connection

Greetings,

I am working on this site that that has inserted html items, as I want the body area length to change as client inserts his own WebYep loop elements to grow the site at her own discretion.

Inside one of these Master page inserted items, I have an html, and inside it a series of graphic elements (letters) that are set as page links on the site.

site: http://www.woodlandgardens10.com/hostacatalogA.php

The letters are all graphic links to pages throughout the site. I built a master page for these lettered catalog pages, but now as I change links (or anything else on this Master) the pages built off this master will not change. Only one page (the A page) has retained it’s connection to the master. The only thing I have changed on these various pages built off the master is the title line of the page. A, B, C, D-E etc. I am still trying to wrap my mind around why the pages lose connection to the Master.

Only the wrap element itself on each page has the option for retaining its Master Content and Master Settings:

The alphabet listing box does not have any Master choices, and I understand that this has to do with the item being “inserted” instead of drawn on the page:

I do see the differences here between the item types, but I do not understand why the items inserted cannot keep their connection to the Master.

In order for the client to maintain her store on her own,
(it is setup with a web yep loop element, linked to a shopping cart system elsewhere within the site with a database)

I have to be able to have a site that is able to grow and shrink with the amount of items that she inserts. This site will eventually contain 400 plus products that she will maintain herself. But, if one of the categories happens to change one day, I will have to manually change all the pages, all the boxes and all the links. This should be able to be a Master page, one change and BOOM, it changes on all the pages. But (due to something I am not comprehending yet about this program) some items lose their connection to the Master.

My contention for a while has been that the ELEMENTS should be master or non master elements, and regardless of what pages they are on or where they are positioned in a page, the content could be edit-able. I guess I am thinking like some kind of master element that is sort of, on a server…and the box on the Freeway page just references that master element. Then, regardless of how the page is set up, the master element could be changed ONE TIME and anywhere in the site that the element appears it would be changed, because it is a master ELEMENT with no link to a particular page. This to me would make sense, as then nested or inserted items could never be a worry about loss in connection to a Master page.

Now, I have a site with (by the time I am finished, counting the hosta store and the daylily store) I am going to have to change 30 pages by hand every time they request a design change to the header or footer. And, another huge consideration is what will this do to the Web Yep elements on that page…after she has 100 loops on a particular page, if I change something on the top in the header or bottom in the footer, is this going to make the page lose its connection to all of the web-yep items on that page?

I know I am relatively new to this, and I appreciate this community’s help in helping me conquer the program.

Rich

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

An alternative is to use an ‘include’ for the Menu/Navigation and there are actions to help with this.

Put your menu/nav on a blank page and apply Walter’s Template Helper action to it

Then on the master page where you want it to appear insert a markup item such as

<?
include("includes/_mymenu.php");
?>

Obviously with the path and name changed to suit the menu partial

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

If you do this particular trick, be sure to switch your Freeway
document from “Separate Resources folders” to “One big honkin’
Resources folder”. Otherwise, all the links to images in your include