[Pro] Metatag Weirdness

This is an old website I created in FW and the my client doesn’t have the budget to overhaul it or make it responsive. But I stumbled upon something strange/problematic today.

If you google “Flowersong Herbals” all is well. But if you google “flowersongherbals” (no space) google is not picking up the page descriptions or site description. What could be causing this? Is there a simple (ie not much time on my part/expense on client’s part) fix?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Not seeing an issue here.

It’s fine - you can’t do a fix for something that isn’t really broken.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Maybe a picture will help. Here are two screenshots. Searching “flowersong herbals” (with the space) looks correct. Searching “flowersongherbals” (no space) doesn’t show the meta data I’ve assigned to the pages.

However, when I go to the individual pages and “view source” I can see the meta data there.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

In my experience, if the term you searched for is in the metadata description, Google will often show that. However, if the term is not in the description, but elsewhere on the page, Google will tend to pull the section of text that contains that term.

In this case, Google’s algorithm has chosen to show the snippet for “flowersongherbals” — which is from the footer of the page, instead of the metadata description, because the footer contains that exact term.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I think it’s simply semantic weirdness, nothing else. This happens, when “graphic” messages are combined with text expectations. In other words:

The page title should reflect the H1 tag (vice versa) while the description follows the first paragraph after the H1 tag (vice versa). You flag the graphic headline with an ID of h1-flowersong and wrap the image in an h2 class. This all is not semantic cause google can’t interpret the image. Or in other words, google doesn’t really have a chance to uniquely determine what happens cause it misses some important components such as H1.

I’m no english expert at all, but to me there is a subtle difference between:

• Sun shine (invitation or a future incident)

and

• sunshine (current or past situation)

Is Flowersongherbal a special product or discipline? Or is Herbal a special discipline of the company “Flowersong”? I think the latter cause it matches more the google algorithm while the first happens to people that entirely uses “graphic” rather than readable HTML text.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks, guys. That makes a lot of sense.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I would say Google always looks at the domain name as the first important point of reference following by keywords following in the URL.

So when you search for “flowersongherbals” is picking up a much better/exact hit/match on your site’s URL and showing a site map of popular pages.

Whereas splitting the keywords "Flowersong Herbals” is returning contents from the page/s.

David Owen { Freeway Friendly Web hosting and Domains }

http://www.ineedwebhosting.co.uk | http://www.PrintlineAdvertising.co.uk

On 19 Oct 2015, at 22:15, Doty email@hidden wrote:

If you google “Flowersong Herbals” all is well. But if you google “flowersongherbals” (no space) google is not picking up the page descriptions or site description. What could be causing this? Is there a simple (ie not much time on my part/expense on client’s part) fix?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options