[Pro] Next version of Freeway

If you’ve been frustrated for 5 years, then you are almost halfway to where I am. So let me give you some tips. What I did about it wasn’t completely unique, but different than some-- and you may try it too.

Stop whining (mostly) about all the things Freeway doesn’t do and decide if what it does do is worth keeping. Then, maybe get some other apps to make up for as many of the things Softpress can’t seem to pull their heads out to get done.

You can get around multiple undo’s by simply not doing things you will later have to undo… e.g., become a better planner. No, I am absolutely serious. Maybe, also get used to manually undoing the stupid things you try. The pain of doing that a few times will teach you not to try stupid things. It’s like locking your keys in the car-- how many times must you do that before you just stop doing that?

Stop admiring how other apps work and wishing Freeway was as easy to use-- obviously you did something horrible in a past life and must be punished. Embrace the pain of knowing that you are working harder than is absolutely necessary… I think it’s some British character-building thing.

If you can’t physically remember all the correct CSS terms that Freeway horribly mangles (indent for margin, leading for line-height) then make a cheat sheet. You can also use it to remember all the different work-arounds to bypass the outdated Freeway UI (Hint: Everything is Extended)

If Freeway is still part of your workflow, then upgrade for Pete’s sake. You will be rewarded with some incremental workflow and stability improvements that, to people like you and me, will feel like immense advancements. Also, sometimes the updates sometimes have new bugs which can be quite refreshing when all you were expecting were the same old bugs we always get stuck with.

Some people at my level give up using Freeway all together and write the code they need by hand. I’m still pretty lazy and actually enjoy an app that writes almost half of the code I need automatically. It’s still work to make Freeway write the rest of the code I need-- the way I need it-- but it’s still almost as easy as writing by hand and I am just too lazy to do that yet.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: