[Pro] Next version of Freeway

So a new version of Freeway should be arriving at some point. Has there been any word from Softpress on this next version?

Do you think they will still be using the some old codebase and give us the same old excuse why they can’t have more than one level of undo and other often requested features?

It’s been around 5 years or so since I started using Freeway and back then, and every version since then, I requested the default for modern apps, multiple levels of undo.

I was answered with the same excuse for the last 5 or so years;

“In order to do that we would have to rewrite the entire codebase from scratch.”

So, do it already. They’ve had at least 5 years of excuses and reusing old, old code. Plenty of time to rewrite from scratch and give us a modern coded Freeway.

I’m still using V6 because I will not give them any more money until they give us multiple undos and modern code.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

SP is notoriously tight-lipped about new features/versions so don’t expect much beyond the usual speculation by users.

Todd
https://creativ.space

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Since three of the last 4 major updates have been in
August/September, I was wondering if Freeway X with brand new code might be on the horizon.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Do you think they will still be using the some old codebase and give us the same old excuse why they can’t have more than one level of undo and other often requested features?

Just out of curiosity, what’s your current way positioning items?

1. Drop’n Drag
  2. Inflow

I’m asking this, cause you mentioned something like “old codebase” and I’m curious to what amount users stay modern and build pages with a modern Codebase.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

That’s the excuse I’ve been getting from them for over 5 years:

“We’d have to rewrite the code from the ground up” which implies they are still using their old code base.

Every other app that I use has been rewritten over the last five years from the ground up except Freeway.

Is Freeway 7 64 bit? Freeway 6 was only 32 bit in 2014.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

So a new version of Freeway should be arriving at some point.

I cant see there being a FW8 for some time - and I think that it will be unlikely that you will get multiple undos until v8.

I’m still using V6 because I will not give them any more money until they give us multiple undos and modern code.

So you dont want an easy way of getting a Responsive layout - I think that is certainly worth the £60 upgrade cost.

Certainly FW7 outputs Modern Code - it may not be built on it but for me multiple undos has never been a deal breaker.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Is V7 64 bit?

Do you have any other pro app in 2015 that only has one level of undo?

It’s absurd they didn’t think that was a valuable feature initially and even more absurd that they haven’t implemented it for the last 5 years.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Richard,

Many FW users share your frustration, and have tolerated it for much longer than you, but if you’re pinning your hopes of multiple undos on FW8 then the smart money says start looking for a new app. If history has taught us anything odds are all you’re doing is setting yourself up for more disappointment. Sure, you might get lucky and get it in v8 but is that a bet you’re willing to take?

Todd
https://creativ.space

Do you have any other pro app in 2015 that only has one level of undo?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I have other web design apps that I’m using. Needless to say every one of them has multiple undos.

I wouldn’t say I was pinning my hopes on FW8, but multiple undos with a modern code base would be most welcome.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

If you’ve been frustrated for 5 years, then you are almost halfway to where I am. So let me give you some tips. What I did about it wasn’t completely unique, but different than some-- and you may try it too.

Stop whining (mostly) about all the things Freeway doesn’t do and decide if what it does do is worth keeping. Then, maybe get some other apps to make up for as many of the things Softpress can’t seem to pull their heads out to get done.

You can get around multiple undo’s by simply not doing things you will later have to undo… e.g., become a better planner. No, I am absolutely serious. Maybe, also get used to manually undoing the stupid things you try. The pain of doing that a few times will teach you not to try stupid things. It’s like locking your keys in the car-- how many times must you do that before you just stop doing that?

Stop admiring how other apps work and wishing Freeway was as easy to use-- obviously you did something horrible in a past life and must be punished. Embrace the pain of knowing that you are working harder than is absolutely necessary… I think it’s some British character-building thing.

If you can’t physically remember all the correct CSS terms that Freeway horribly mangles (indent for margin, leading for line-height) then make a cheat sheet. You can also use it to remember all the different work-arounds to bypass the outdated Freeway UI (Hint: Everything is Extended)

If Freeway is still part of your workflow, then upgrade for Pete’s sake. You will be rewarded with some incremental workflow and stability improvements that, to people like you and me, will feel like immense advancements. Also, sometimes the updates sometimes have new bugs which can be quite refreshing when all you were expecting were the same old bugs we always get stuck with.

Some people at my level give up using Freeway all together and write the code they need by hand. I’m still pretty lazy and actually enjoy an app that writes almost half of the code I need automatically. It’s still work to make Freeway write the rest of the code I need-- the way I need it-- but it’s still almost as easy as writing by hand and I am just too lazy to do that yet.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 21 Aug 2015, 6:26 pm, The Big Erns wrote:

obviously you did something horrible in a past life and must be punished. Embrace the pain of knowing that you are working harder than is absolutely necessary… I think it’s some British character-building thing.

Very funny!

I’m still using V6 and unless I get FW7 in a bundle or a huge discount, I’ll still keep my eye out and hopes up for FW8.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Once again my question:

Just out of curiosity, what’s your current way positioning items?

1. Drop’n Drag
  2. Inflow

I’m asking this, cause you mentioned something like “old codebase” and I’m curious to what amount users stay modern and build pages with a modern Codebase.

And an example to one of your projects would help as well. This is for better decision if it is worth to spend more words in here.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I think I use both methods.

The old codebase reference is not what FW puts out, it’s the excuse Softpress gives us for not having more than one level of undo in 2015.

Aster been saying for over five years “We’d have to rewrite FW from the ground up” means they are using old code.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I think I am aware of the downsides of the app in use.

But what about your excuses.

Ernie already said he doesn’t need an undo - me neither. Todd even mentioned to use another one, you’ve got plenty of them. Do they make you a better designer - just by multiple undos?

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Ernie and Thomas are much more advanced than I, however my “no multiple undo” work around is using versioning and saving when I make useful steps/changes. Disk space is cheap.

For instance, my newest constructed site’s last version is called
MySite1n - The previous version was MySite1m - Starting with 1a, 1b, 1b, 1c - you get the idea. All you have to do is remember to SAVE. And if you mess up - you only go back to the last rev.

Meanwhile, enjoy the things FW does offer and talke note it has only just gone from v7.01 to v7.1 .1 - there could well be 7.2, 7.3, 7.4 and on before a v8.0

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

there could well be 7.2, 7.3, 7.4 and on before a v8.0

And of course there is no roadmap to say at which version point a new codebase may be introduced - I speculated at v8

I am quite sure that someone over at SP Towers is working on it - but how much of a priority it is???

Maybe you could give some sort of indication to SP of a monetary value you would consider worth paying to get this feature - it may (or may not) influence them if they thought it would squeeze more money out of the user base.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’m not making an excuse, SP has been making excuses for their old code for over 5 years.

And I’m not looking for a workaround.

I’m looking for a modern 2015 app that has multiple undos like every other pro app I use.

One level of undo is from the 1990s and whoever originally thought that was OK, and continues to think that is OK, is wrong.

I see this complaint all over the web about FW.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’m looking for a modern 2015 app that has multiple undos like every other pro app I use.

It would be a nice feature to have but I wouldn’t wait to upgrade because it wasn’t there.

There are plenty of added features in FW7 that are worth the upgrade cost - but maybe not for you.

You should use one of your other web design apps and stop moaning about FW.

We have heard it all before and for a lot of us it is not an issue.

Complaining is not going to make it happen any faster.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

And for a lot of others it is a major issue.

And no, I won’t stop complaining about it.

After all it’s 2015, not 1998.

Do you have any pro app that doesn’t have multiple undos?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Richard I hear what you are saying, but I suspect it’s more to do with people will generally pay for upgrades that allow freeway to write new code (as per media queries, css and responsive html ect) but they generally won’t pay much for features which they think should have been in the original application.

I suspect if every freeway user each donated a couple of hundred pounds up front, then there may be the financial resources for softpress to start again, but thats not going to happen.

Walter some time ago asked for a chunk of money to upgrade actions forge… and I remember what happened. Initially there was a poor response with just a hardcore user group who were committed to fund it … At the time I personally thought it was a worth while and great idea from Walter and this a request from someone who has donated thousands of hours in helping the community even after the initial round of fundraising failed… I still thought it was a great idea… I still do, but the realities are the majority of people don’t think it’s something they need to do or get involved in. It’s only when the community get excited over something that they generally get finically involved … no one’s going to get excited by multiple undo’s or a better css editing system or the countless little things which freeway doesn’t do well.

And although I whole heartily agree with you. I to would love to see multiple undo, the difference is I don’t think boycotting upgrades or not embracing other new possibilities (eg responsive site) if a specific application doesn’t have everything I want is the right way to go. Obviously from what you have written this specific lack of function is a big thing for you and I do hope multiples undos happen, but I wont hold my breath.

If everyone thinks my assumption is wrong then could I suggest a
lets get a new freeway written from the ground up with new code a new interface new css editing and yes multiple undo fund !! then once softpress feel they have enough in the kitty to divert resources to creating a new application then they can begin without the fear of running out of steam or more importantly money

I have my couple of hundred ready and waiting any one fancy adding to it?

kind regards max

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden