[Pro] Order Form

I have had a problem with my order form not coming to my email address. I talked with my host server they said two things were wrong. The sendForm was not sending SMTP authenticated email and the script sets the sender to the value of an input field from the form and is used by spammers. The fix was to use a SMTP authentication (they suggested https:??Releases · PHPMailer/PHPMailer · GitHub, class.smtp.php). My question is where do I put this SMTP script? In html markup? Before the html?
I will just add my email address that is connected to my website in the “From” field which, I think would be “Sender” in the Action Palettes.

http://www.waltonlasergraphics.com/orderforminandou.html

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

The PHPMailer class is not going to work with the code generated by any of the various form->mail Actions. You’d need to integrate the class code with the other PHP code (in the generated form handler written by the Action), so even if you updated the PHP file, it would be overwritten by Freeway the next time you published the site.

I would start by using the correct From: header, as you noted. That’s half the battle. I’ll have a look around for a more modern mail framework that I can twist into an Action.

Walter

On Apr 3, 2020, at 2:27 PM, Cindi Walton email@hidden wrote:

I have had a problem with my order form not coming to my email address. I talked with my host server they said two things were wrong. The sendForm was not sending SMTP authenticated email and the script sets the sender to the value of an input field from the form and is used by spammers. The fix was to use a SMTP authentication (they suggested https:??Releases · PHPMailer/PHPMailer · GitHub, class.smtp.php). My question is where do I put this SMTP script? In html markup? Before the html?
I will just add my email address that is connected to my website in the “From” field which, I think would be “Sender” in the Action Palettes.

http://www.waltonlasergraphics.com/orderforminandou.html

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thank you, Walt. I so appreciate all your help. I don’t know if this is any help but this is what they said:
We attempted to re-write the part of your script which sends the messages so that it used the latest version of PHPMailer. We saved a copy of your original file as FW_SendForm_orderforminonly2.php.original.
We created a new email address to be used for sending emails from the form: email@hidden. We added references to the necessary SMTP classes to the form script and configured the settings for sending the email. We test submitted the order form and confirmed the form email was sent successfully. The authenticated email did not get flagged as spam and was delivered straight into the inbox for email@hidden.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

If you can FTP in and preserve their edited form script, that would be an excellent start for you. At a minimum, if you want to test what the Action-generated form handler will do, try changing the From to that new address they created for you. See if that alone (without the SMTP bits) makes it through as well.

Walter

On Apr 3, 2020, at 3:13 PM, Cindi Walton email@hidden wrote:

Thank you, Walt. I so appreciate all your help. I don’t know if this is any help but this is what they said:
We attempted to re-write the part of your script which sends the messages so that it used the latest version of PHPMailer. We saved a copy of your original file as FW_SendForm_orderforminonly2.php.original.
We created a new email address to be used for sending emails from the form: email@hidden. We added references to the necessary SMTP classes to the form script and configured the settings for sending the email. We test submitted the order form and confirmed the form email was sent successfully. The authenticated email did not get flagged as spam and was delivered straight into the inbox for email@hidden.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I used the new email they made for me put it in the Action Palette “Sender”. I got a 404 error.
I used my email for my website (the same that I use for the “Recipient” field in the Action Palette and got a Success page, but no email.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Well, that’s information, but not progress. I’ve found a likely script to use, it will take a bit of work to Action-ize it, though.

Walter

On Apr 3, 2020, at 3:57 PM, Cindi Walton email@hidden wrote:

I used the new email they made for me put it in the Action Palette “Sender”. I got a 404 error.
I used my email for my website (the same that I use for the “Recipient” field in the Action Palette and got a Success page, but no email.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Just want to make sure I told you the right thing, I think I got it turned around:
I uploaded the order form with email@hidden in the Sender field in the Action Palette. It came back as a 404.
I uploaded the order from with email@hidden that they gave me, it came back with the success page, but no email.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Okay, one more thing I just found. On my site control for my host server, they have the new email they made up for me turned off. I will turn it on and then reload the website and see what happens.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Just tried it with that email clicked to on at the site control for my host server. No email, but I did get a success page.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I am enclosing the information that was sent to me from the host server to see if it makes sense to you. I have changed the “From” field to the email they set up for me. I put the PHP script they recommended in the html markup for the order form page, “before html”. I get my success page when I hit submit, but no email. Is this problem something other people have or is my case special? I am wondering if I should throw out the order form and start all over with it. But, what I’m thinking is that the order form is doing what it is supposed to. It is after it is submitted that it is not following orders.
I hate to keep bugging you and I thank you for your help. I don’t want to have to start all over with a new website, so I continue to work this out. Thanks again.

Copy of info from host server:
We reviewed the script for the order form FW_SendForm_orderforminonly2.php and noticed it was not sending SMTP authenticated email, i.e. the email messages do not get sent via an actual email server. Being un-authenticated is adding to email messages spam score as they pass through various email filtering systems, so such email may be rejected as spam on the recipients’ side.
Also, your script sets the sender (the email “From:” field) to the value of an input field from the form, while the actual sender would be a hostname like lsh[0-9]{4}.lsh.siteprotect.com.
This is basically termed spoofing of the email sender and is often used by spammers, so we would advise against it.

We recommend your script should be modified to use SMTP authentication, i.e. email gets sent via an actual email server, so there is no need to spoof the sender.
Sending emails via SMTP servers is always preferred as it ensures improved delivery, good control over returned messages and is less likely for your email to be flagged as spam at the recipient side.
There are standard solutions and free SMTP authentication classes that can be utilized to switch your scripts to use authenticated email.
We would recommend PHPMailer, Releases · PHPMailer/PHPMailer · GitHub as it is very popular and well documented.

If you like you can review the documentation for PHPMailer if you need to implement more advanced settings in your form, like for example add CC recipients, use HTML in the body of the email, configure a reply-to address, etc. You can consult with your form developers if further assistance is needed with adjusting the code of your scripts.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

If you can copy the edited PHP script (that they modified for you) and paste it into a private Gist: https://gist.github.com and send the address of it personally to me (not to this mailing list, where your password will be stolen instantly) I can have a look at it to you. If you’re viewing this online, then click my name while logged in to access contact information. If you’re seeing this in your e-mail, then you already have my address.

Walter

On Apr 14, 2020, at 9:30 AM, Cindi Walton email@hidden wrote:

I am enclosing the information that was sent to me from the host server to see if it makes sense to you. I have changed the “From” field to the email they set up for me. I put the PHP script they recommended in the html markup for the order form page, “before html”. I get my success page when I hit submit, but no email. Is this problem something other people have or is my case special? I am wondering if I should throw out the order form and start all over with it. But, what I’m thinking is that the order form is doing what it is supposed to. It is after it is submitted that it is not following orders.
I hate to keep bugging you and I thank you for your help. I don’t want to have to start all over with a new website, so I continue to work this out. Thanks again.

We reviewed the script for the order form FW_SendForm_orderforminonly2.php and noticed it was not sending SMTP authenticated email, i.e. the email messages do not get sent via an actual email server. Being un-authenticated is adding to email messages spam score as they pass through various email filtering systems, so such email may be rejected as spam on the recipients’ side.
Also, your script sets the sender (the email “From:” field) to the value of an input field from the form, while the actual sender would be a hostname like lsh[0-9]{4}.lsh.siteprotect.com.
This is basically termed spoofing of the email sender and is often used by spammers, so we would advise against it.

We recommend your script should be modified to use SMTP authentication, i.e. email gets sent via an actual email server, so there is no need to spoof the sender.
Sending emails via SMTP servers is always preferred as it ensures improved delivery, good control over returned messages and is less likely for your email to be flagged as spam at the recipient side.
There are standard solutions and free SMTP authentication classes that can be utilized to switch your scripts to use authenticated email.
We would recommend PHPMailer, Releases · PHPMailer/PHPMailer · GitHub as it is very popular and well documented.

If you like you can review the documentation for PHPMailer if you need to implement more advanced settings in your form, like for example add CC recipients, use HTML in the body of the email, configure a reply-to address, etc. You can consult with your form developers if further assistance is needed with adjusting the code of your scripts.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

https://gist.github.com/waltoncindi/6a995ee12a6469a1583c2053e13af550

On April 14, 2020 at 8:38 AM Walter Lee Davis wrote:

If you can copy the edited PHP script (that they modified for you) and paste it into a private Gist: https://gist.github.com and send the address of it personally to me (not to this mailing list, where your password will be stolen instantly) I can have a look at it to you. If you’re viewing this online, then click my name while logged in to access contact information. If you’re seeing this in your e-mail, then you already have my address.

Walter

On Apr 14, 2020, at 9:30 AM, Cindi Walton wrote:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden