[Pro] Overlapping items in preview

Hello all, Its been some time since I have posted here which is maybe a good sign as maybe I have not had any issues! Maybe!

I am trying to setup a quick site. I cam across an issue that I don’t appear to be able to resolve and yet it could be something simple I am missing.
I attach two images which illustrate the issue to be resolved.

Image 1 shows how things look in the page working and image 2 shows the preview and also how it appears in the browser. The main graphic with the logo is a full image used as a background image in a html item ‘body’.
Why is the footer-wrapper covering half of the background image in the html item above it? What am I missing?

Any helpful insights would be much appreciated.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Is the footer (or footer-wrapper) a “layer” item rather than an inflow CSS item?

Layer items are problematic because they are positioned independently of other items (not counting parent items).

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

The way I like to describe layers in Freeway is individual sheets of glass, stacked on top of one another, which you are looking through at the page. Anything on one pane cannot affect anything on any of the other panes.

Walter

On May 20, 2021, at 10:32 AM, Jeremy Hughes email@hidden wrote:

Is the footer (or footer-wrapper) a “layer” item rather than an inflow CSS item?

Layer items are problematic because they are positioned independently of other items (not counting parent items).

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hello Jeremy and Walter,
Really good to hear from you both.

The footer wrapper is an inline item after the body wrapper. In the screen shot I hope that you can see the structure if that helps?
In this setup there are no layers.

Or am I misconstruing things!?

Hear from you when you can.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

If there aren’t any layer items, then maybe you have some floated items that are behaving in an unexpected way - I notice you are using the Clearfix Action.

If you send us a cut-down version of your document (duplicate it and remove the extra pages), I could take a look at it. You could send it (or email a link using a transfer service such as Dropbox) to support at softpress dot com.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hello Jeremy,

Thats very kind of you.

I shall email it in the next few minutes.

Much appreciated.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’ve looked at the document, and the reason it’s collapsing is because “body” is set to a percentage height (99.89%). You need to be careful with percentage heights, because there has to be a fixed height attached to the parent (or one of its ancestors) for the percentage to be calculated from. In this case, the parent item (“body-wrapper”) has a flexible (undefined) height, so CSS ignores the percentage value and calculates the height of “body” from its contents (background images don’t count as content).

It’s easy to fix this by changing the height of “body” to match the height of its background image. You can do this by selecting “body” and choosing “Fixed” from the Height popup in the Measurements section of the Inspector palette.

[The fact that Freeway’s layout doesn’t match what you see in the browser seems to be caused by some kind of circular miscalculation in Freeway. If you remove the percentage heights from “body” and its children, without setting a fixed height for “body”, Freeway’s layout matches what you see in a browser.]

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hello Jeremy,

Thats great. Thats it sorted.

I had put in the percentage height whilst trying out a few options to resolve the issue.

I hadn’t thought to try fixed as the height as I thought it might prevent the box from flexing.

I guess the important take from this is that the background image is not content but as the name suggests, its in the background! Always glad to learn of course.

Thank you for your support. Much appreciated.

Heres to xway whenI get started on that!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden