[Pro] Page fit screen - responsive ?

Hi everybody.
I use Freeway 5.5.
I would like to create a page wich is able to always fit the browser window width. Here is a little sketch to show you how I wish it would be :

-#1 (in red) : browser’s frame
-#2 : logo and name
-#3 : 4 menu items
-#4 : narrow image
-#5 : some thumbnails from a showcase galery

I would like that #1, #2, #3 could expand in the same position on any size of the browser’s window and I would like that #4 (narrow image) always stays the width of the browser’s window

Well… I hope you see whay I mean…
I tried the way Waltd explain in this post : Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

But it doesn’t work at all… I can’t figure out why… sorry…

And anyway… Could what I want work with FW 5.5 or should I use FW7 and his responsive feature ?

Thanks for your answer

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Could what I want work with FW 5.5 or should I use FW7 and his responsive feature ?

You can do it with 5.5 but it would be much easier with 7

And neither can we without something to look at.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

The reason “why” is pretty simple:

Lower V6, FW printed styles “inline”. This is the strongest argument in web and can’t be overwritten (cascaded) per se. Well - it can (theoretically) by using the

!important  

rule. But this is a weird operation, cause you need a more fine-tuned behavior of items in a responsive design.

I started making pages responsive in late 2012 (FW5.5+) and I can’t recall correctly. All I know is, that it was an incredible bunch of externalizing the required css-properties, removing IDs from items, classifying them and re-collect them in new sheets. I still know only one or two handful users on this board ever managed this.

So I hereby double Davids recommend switching to V7.

Whatever you decide, allow me an important note:

Learn inflow-constructions (aka box-model). This is the underlying framework allowing you to have the magical 100% width(s) as well as others in one document. This can be done by seeking FWT, searching for video-screencasts or even using templates (Softpress) or Backdraft (Caleb).

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options