[Pro] Problems

The Ambient template contains a “header-wrapper” item. This contains two items: “navigation” (the menus) and “logo”. “header-wrapper” is followed by a “body” item that contains the main page content.

Since you say that you want the image to be above the CSS menus, I think that you should be placing it somewhere in the “header-wrapper”. The page is designed to have header content (usually the same on all pages) followed by body content (specific to each page). You probably want to make these changes on a master page.

The key to responsive design is to use inflow elements rather than layer elements. These are a little awkward to use in Freeway, but you can create them by clicking inside a box (so there is a text cursor) and choosing “HTML Item” or “Graphic Item” from the Insert menu. The items inside “header-wrapper” are also floated, which allows them to be positioned next to each other.

One way that you can distinguish inflow elements from layer elements is that inflow elements have a “CSS” checkbox in the Inspector palette, while layer elements have a “layer” checkbox. Inflow elements also have lack “position” fields. One other difference is that layer items display a small triangle in the top-left and bottom-right corners.

Inflow elements are used for responsive design because they are within the page flow, so they change their position in response to the way that previous content is displayed. Layers are independent of other content, so they normally stay in the same position and are unaffected by previous content.

Jeremy

On 12 Aug 2019, at 15:15, Chris Bevan via freewaytalk email@hidden wrote:

Yes, I was deleting the existing image and replacing it with my own. It does very strange things with the layout of the CSS menus, which I wanted underneath.

I think the template is a responsive one, as the pages change depending on what device it is viewed on.

On 12 Aug 2019, 2:07 pm, waltd wrote:

I’m not at all familiar with that template, but are you trying to draw the image into place, or selecting the existing logo container element, removing its image, and replacing it with your own? If this is a responsive template, I would not expect the former approach to work at all.

Walter

On Aug 12, 2019, at 9:56 AM, Chris Bevan via freewaytalk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Walter’s advice is good. It’s not easy to make substantial changes to a responsive page in Freeway unless you have a good understanding of how responsive design works. Another option would be to see if there is a different template that is closer to what you are aiming for.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Jeremy and Walter. That’s quite helpful to know, I have noticed how brittle Freeway is in responsive design and thought it was me!! which i’m sure has something to do with it. . Should we expect responsive to be easier/more stable in Freeway 8. I’ve loved freeway since v1.1 but have been struggling with the responsive inflow.

Looking forward to 8 though.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Ok, no problem, it’s an incompatibility of wacom. Thanks for everything.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden