[Pro] Process question

I thought I’d sent this question already, but maybe I didn’t hit SEND. Anyway, this may be more of a methodology question then a technical question.

I’m making a template – a master page – for my reviews. I’d made a skeleton for different categories that I can fill out when I make a new review. And then I have some text lower on the page and then a footer. So far so good.

When I drag the master page to make an instance, I type the ratings into the different categories. Most of the time, I’ll probably have more to type than I left space for in the default object. What I was hoping is that the the categories would expand and push down the categories that appear below them and then also push down the text at the bottom of the page and the footer. What’s really happening is that each category is fixed in its position of where it begins and they all appear on top of one another. Also, the page doesn’t expand, so my text at the bottom of the page appears mixed with some of the reviews, and the page doesn’t expand, so the footer appears in the middle of the page.

I know how to get around this. When I add text to each section, I can resize it for that particular review. I was hoping to avoid that by basing the page on the master page. Was I overoptimistic, or are there some settings for these objects and for the page that will allow me to accomplish what I’m trying to do?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Sure. What you are trying to do is build a vertically flexible page. That’s pretty normal. The issue is that your template is probably (I imagine, you haven’t shared a link) set up with vertically-sized HTML boxes on the page for each of the content areas. Absolutely positioned, vertically dimensioned elements cannot move other elements on the same page around. Instead, they act as if they were all alone on a sheet of glass, and all the other elements are on their own sheets of glass. When one grows, it simply over- or under-laps its neighbors. What you need to do is get those elements into an inline construction, so they can push each other around.

Try this, just to get the basic idea.

On a new blank page, draw an HTML box as if it was a grid column on your page. Make it the width of your text boxes, and let it span from near the top to the bottom of the visible default page.

Then, double-click inside that box (so you see a flashing text cursor) and choose Insert/HTML Item from the main menu. You will see a 100px square in the top left of the box. Click once on it so the handles appear, then drag the bottom-right corner out to make it the same width as the outer column. Type some placeholder text into this inline box, and then click elsewhere and back on the box so it is selected (handles showing) again. Copy it to the clipboard. Now, double-click in the area below that first child box, and when you see the flashing text cursor (may be hard to see) paste as many times as you have additional content areas. Finally, click on each of the inline boxes, and in the Inspector, set the height to Flexible. Repeat this with the outermost box, too. Now, if you put a ton of content in the first box, it will press the other boxes down (and grow the page height almost indefinitely).

You’ll need to learn some more tricks with this layout style. For example, if you want there to be a defined space between the boxes, you would set that by clicking on one of the inline boxes and setting either the top margin or the bottom margin to the distance you need. You treat these inline boxes as if they were individual words or letters of text, not as if they were objects you drew on the page and positioned exactly where you wanted them. But what you gain with this approach is the absolute ability to make this page look great no matter how large or small the user sets their browser font size, or make a flexible or responsive layout without any headaches, and of course, one template will serve for any length of content.

Walter

On Aug 10, 2018, at 4:20 PM, chuckbo email@hidden wrote:

I thought I’d sent this question already, but maybe I didn’t hit SEND. Anyway, this may be more of a methodology question then a technical question.

I’m making a template – a master page – for my reviews. I’d made a skeleton for different categories that I can fill out when I make a new review. And then I have some text lower on the page and then a footer. So far so good.

When I drag the master page to make an instance, I type the ratings into the different categories. Most of the time, I’ll probably have more to type than I left space for in the default object. What I was hoping is that the the categories would expand and push down the categories that appear below them and then also push down the text at the bottom of the page and the footer. What’s really happening is that each category is fixed in its position of where it begins and they all appear on top of one another. Also, the page doesn’t expand, so my text at the bottom of the page appears mixed with some of the reviews, and the page doesn’t expand, so the footer appears in the middle of the page.

I know how to get around this. When I add text to each section, I can resize it for that particular review. I was hoping to avoid that by basing the page on the master page. Was I overoptimistic, or are there some settings for these objects and for the page that will allow me to accomplish what I’m trying to do?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options