[Pro] Question About Site Redesign

First of all, please excuse my lack of technical knowledge. I’ve used Freeway for many years (very basic site for my music lesson business). I recently saw a notification on a Google search that my site isn’t mobile friendly. Did some research and stumbled upon Backdraft. I was able to build a scaled down site using the Backdraft template that I would like to upload to my server (GoDaddy). I’m concerned about a few things.

1. What effect this will have on my SEO

2. How do I go about uploading the new site (as my business isn’t showing up on searches on mobile devices presently). Do I go onto the FTP page on GoDaddy and delete ALL folders or specific ones.

I did some searching on the site and was little overwhelmed reading about FTP clients, 301 redirects and root files! I’m really clueless when it comes to this stuff. The main reason I latched onto Freeway years ago was that it was fairly straightforward for a dolt like me to make a website on!

Thanks in advance!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

What effect this will have on my SEO

That depends on how good or bad it is just now. Can you share a link to your current site?

How do I go about uploading the new site

I am assuming from your post that you do NOT use the built in FTP features of FW. WhatI would recommend is that you upload your new site into a subfolder on your existing site so that you can thoroughly test it before you delete/replace the existing site.

Get it live (in that sub folder) and we can have a look and suggest pointers to make it better than the existing site.

It is as easy as filling in the relevant details under the Upload Tab in Freeway File>Document Setup ie

Server: www.yourservername.com

Directory: usually something like /public_html/

Username and password are self explanatory

Web address www.yourservername.com

FTP Mode: try it on Auto

But first I would use your FTP page in GD and make a subfolder ie test at The domain name YourServerName.com is for sale | Dan.com then in the Directory setting I would change it to /public_html/test

By doing this you can upload without having to delete anything you have already. Once you are happy with how it all looks and behaves then you can delete the existing site and change the Directory to /public_html/

BTW - it should be obvious when you are in GD’s FTP section exactly what your Directory is actually named - different servers call it different things such as httpdocs or www or public_html

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hey David!

Thanks so much for your response. I’ve got students the rest of the night so I’ll have to delve into this later. I’m a little daunted by the instructions but I’ll look more closely when I’m done teaching. In the meantime:

Here is my current site: www.robertferrell.com

I’m ranked pretty high up in Google for drum lessons and drum charts. My new Backdraft site is much smaller and scaled down. I used the exact same page names and meta tags on the new site.

I do use the FTP upload built into Freeway. I really am a hack with this stuff but I upload PDFs of the transcriptions I do for my students and have people from all over the world download them for free so I need to have access and control rather than have an IT guy/service. It helps draw traffic to my site!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I just took a screen shot of my file manager on GD and I’m unsure of which file is my directory. I’d post it here in a reply but can’t seem to figure out how to do that!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Looking at the FTP page at GD has me even more confused. Not sure how to create the test folder and get my new site in there. I’m fairly confident I’m one of the most tech incompetent folks to ever post on this board!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Put the screenshot on a page on your site upload and post a link here

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hey Dave,

I figured out why I couldn’t find a way to create a subdomain. I’m subscribed for Economy hosting on GoDaddy which means I’m not allowed to create a subdomain. I have to upgrade to their deluxe package in order to do that. Currently I’m trying (unsuccessfully) to get FileZilla to connect to my site so I can save my site files to my machine then see what happens if I delete everything from my root folder at GoDaddy and upload my new site fresh. It seems something in my network configuration or firewall is preventing FileZilla from accessing the server. I’m getting the “Connection Reset By Peer” error message. I’m going to try and figure out that issue when I’m done teaching for the night.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’m subscribed for Economy hosting on GoDaddy which means I’m not allowed to create a subdomain.

You dont have to create a subdomain - just a sub folder ie yoursite.com/testfolder

Then set the new FW doc to upload into yoursite.com/testfolder

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Alternatively you can use your existing FW doc to do it for you.

Create an empty subfolder within your existing FW doc and upload.

Now the new folder will be there and you can upload into it from your new FW doc.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks so much Dave! I appreciate you being patient with me as well. I know just enough about this stuff to make me dangerous. I’m not exactly sure how and where to make this subfolder but I’m going to give it my best shot!

I was hoping I could just delete the old website and upload the new one but it looks like doing that might have repercussions for SEO even if I upload pages with the same names and meta tags. If I continue to get frustrated though I may just do that anyway and start fresh again.

Thanks again for your patience!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden