[Pro] Random Black Background

I use a lot of images with transparent backgrounds. I import them as PSDs and have Freeway convert them to JPGs.

However, very randomly images will appear with black backgrounds instead of white on the published site. My solution is to simply republish the site and upload it again… but then a different image that was fine last time now has a black background instead.

I used to be able to publish about 3 times to get all good images, but now the number of black background images is outnumbering the number of correct ones, no matter how many times I publish. It’s very embarrassing and looking very unprofessional.

Because I have to modify images over time, creating dedicated JPGs with white backgrounds would add time and likely result in mistakes. This was a big selling point for me…

Just to clarify, no image on my site has any setting in the inspector, in any tab of it, set to black.

Is there any way to fix this? Thanks.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

You could try using the Edit / Resources dialog, and press the Resample All button there. That will force all the images to re-build in Freeway. It’s odd that the problem is traveling like you describe, though. How many images like this are in your site?

Another thing you could try is to export them as 24-bit PNG images from Photoshop, and replace the PSDs in your Freeway document with that format. That way there will be no quality loss, and Freeway may deal more easily with a flattened PNG rather than the poorly-documented PSD format, particularly if there are layers and transparency involved.

Walter

On Sep 14, 2018, at 2:50 PM, Tim email@hidden wrote:

I use a lot of images with transparent backgrounds. I import them as PSDs and have Freeway convert them to JPGs.

However, very randomly images will appear with black backgrounds instead of white on the published site. My solution is to simply republish the site and upload it again… but then a different image that was fine last time now has a black background instead.

I used to be able to publish about 3 times to get all good images, but now the number of black background images is outnumbering the number of correct ones, no matter how many times I publish. It’s very embarrassing and looking very unprofessional.

Because I have to modify images over time, creating dedicated JPGs with white backgrounds would add time and likely result in mistakes. This was a big selling point for me…

Just to clarify, no image on my site has any setting in the inspector, in any tab of it, set to black.

Is there any way to fix this? Thanks.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

On 14 Sep 2018, at 19:50, Tim email@hidden wrote:

Freeway doesn’t normally republish images unless they have changed. Are you sure they are being republished (do they have fresh modification dates in the Site folder)? Or did you use Force Republish (or Publish Everything) to force republishing?

Are there any examples you can link to?

If there aren’t any currently, could you create a test document with PSD images and publish/upload to a different folder?

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thank you both for replying. Originally I thought resampling was working but then within a few publishes, the black is often back, so I don’t think it really effects this issue.

As far as I know Freeway always republishes my entire site each time I upload even without force republish. The file dates always change and it’s always a lenghty process before it ever starts uploading.

Here is a page I just updated. They should all should have a white background. The oldest images that are effected have black banding, as back then I did use a white background. (With this update I’m also noticing a new problem with borders being missing… that’s a new one.)

http://www.micely.com/Collections/halloweeninmicel.html

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Are these images silhouetted in Photoshop – is their background as a PSD completely transparent, with the gray checkerboard showing through? That could be the issue. When Freeway generates a JPEG, it samples the top-left corner of the image to decide what color to make the background, and if your image is transparent, it may be getting confused. Try adding a white background to these images in Photoshop, and re-importing or updating them in place in your Freeway layout.

Walter

On Sep 14, 2018, at 4:57 PM, Tim email@hidden wrote:

Thank you both for replying. Originally I thought resampling was working but then within a few publishes, the black is often back, so I don’t think it really effects this issue.

As far as I know Freeway always republishes my entire site each time I upload even without force republish. The file dates always change and it’s always a lenghty process before it ever starts uploading.

Here is a page I just updated. They should all should have a white background. The oldest images that are effected have black banding, as back then I did use a white background. (With this update I’m also noticing a new problem with borders being missing… that’s a new one.)

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I want to clarify about the top-left corner thing – this only applies to transparent images of any kind, when converting to JPEG or another format that doesn’t support transparent images. You could try changing these images in place to PNG output instead of JPEG, and see if that fixes them, too.

Walter

On Sep 14, 2018, at 5:05 PM, Walter Lee Davis email@hidden wrote:

Are these images silhouetted in Photoshop – is their background as a PSD completely transparent, with the gray checkerboard showing through? That could be the issue. When Freeway generates a JPEG, it samples the top-left corner of the image to decide what color to make the background, and if your image is transparent, it may be getting confused. Try adding a white background to these images in Photoshop, and re-importing or updating them in place in your Freeway layout.

Walter

On Sep 14, 2018, at 4:57 PM, Tim email@hidden wrote:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Walter, yes, they have a completely transparent background. So is it possible that Freeway is making completely different decisions about the same images each time it publishes?

I have tried setting Freeway output to PNG, but it still had the same issue, just with larger files, so I reverted to JPG.

It’s odd, I used to not have this issue, it’s just creeped in maybe the last 2 years.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 14 Sep 2018, at 21:57, Tim email@hidden wrote:

That doesn’t normally happen, but there are some Actions that can have this effect.

On 14 Sep 2018, at 22:05, Walter Lee Davis email@hidden wrote:

Try adding a white background to these images in Photoshop, and re-importing or updating them in place in your Freeway layout.

Or as a variant to this, try adding a white background to the image box in Freeway.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden