[Pro] Referral Spam Bots

I have witnessed via my Google Analytics that my site is being hit by spam referral bots from a number of known spam entities.

From my reading it appears that placing code into the htaccess file on the server is the best solution and have further read that Wordpress have specific plug-ins to accommodate this.

Being a FW7 user is anybody aware of such an action or can advise how best to rid my site of these pesky spammers ??

Regards
Paul

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

There are no Actions that do that for Freeway. It’s pretty easy to create an htaccess file and upload it to your server yourself though.

Just open a text editor such as TextWrangler (free from the App Store), create a new file, add the text that you’ve read about and save as htaccess (no dot at the beginning). Now upload the file alongside the index.html file using an FTP application (Cyberduck is free, but I like Transmit).

Once it’s uploaded add the dot to the start of the filename and that should be it. If you need to access the file again, you should be able to show hidden files on the server using your FTP application (the dot at the beginning of the filename makes it hidden).

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 9 Jun 2015, 3:35 pm, Joe Billings wrote:

There are no Actions that do that for Freeway. It’s pretty easy to create an htaccess file and upload it to your server yourself though.

Just open a text editor such as TextWrangler (free from the App Store), create a new file, add the text that you’ve read about and save as htaccess (no dot at the beginning). Now upload the file alongside the index.html file using an FTP application (Cyberduck is free, but I like Transmit).

Once it’s uploaded add the dot to the start of the filename and that should be it. If you need to access the file again, you should be able to show hidden files on the server using your FTP application (the dot at the beginning of the filename makes it hidden).

… create a new fil and “add the text that you´ve read about”…?
What text ???

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

On 9 Jun 2015, 2:51 pm, Paul Rowe wrote:

From my reading it appears that placing code into the htaccess file on the server is the best solution

Oh, I figured the source of this information ^ also provided some suggestions! What are you seeing in your Analytics that you want to block?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Joe

I am seeing the following refers appearing :

4webmasters.org,
trafficmonetize.org,
best-seo-offer.com,
guardlink.org,
www.event-tracking.com,
free-social-buttons.com,
buttons-for-your-website.com,
www5.free-social-buttons.com,
www.Get-Free-Traffic-Now.com

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Paul,

I’ve been seeing the same thing on some of my websites. However, adding the code to your .htaccess file won’t fix many of these, because they aren’t even visiting your website with a bot, they are just running the JavaScript that Google Analytics uses for your website.

Here’s a really good guide that talks about how to avoid all referral spam bots: http://www.ohow.co/what-is-referrer-spam-how-stop-it-guide/

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Caleb / Joe

Wow - what a ton of great information from you both (thanks greatly) and what a ‘can of worms’ I seem to have stumbled upon !!

Ill read into the issues and hopefully put a stop to this site spamming.

Thanks and regards
Paul

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden