[Pro] Responsive Woes

I’m not trying to step back into this conversation, I really am not following it nor do I want to even put my head back into this space just yet. But I did leave without making a point that, like it or not, I think explains the practical issues with making “responsive” easier with something like Freeway.

First, I must point out that the little challenge James put out there, between the both of us we had devised no less than 3 ways to accomplish the task… and that was without giving it a good long think. So? Well, the thing about CSS and page code in general, is there is always more than one way to build or solve a design… sometimes there are more than I can count. So, when we layout something in Freeway, how does it decide which solution to implement? Which strategy or tactic to use? What inflow layout people are saying is that this is something for Humans to decide, something that users should decide.

Any “canned” solution would have to be a one-size-fits-all solution from the developers (AAAGGHHH!) which is what you get with other products which tradeoff that simplicity by limiting your ability to create custom design.

Responsive is more complex than even the surface that Freeway is scratching and I’m just saying that it is wishful thinking that it can be tackled without giving up something, either control of our design or our ignorance of how the sausage is made.

Should Freeway be easier? Yes, absolutely. But let me suggest that it should be easier to use as a learning tool, a training wheel and not a crutch.

I think that’s about all.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: