[Pro] Search box

Hi,
Does anyone know how to make the search box with results on the Softpress KnowledgeBase page as shown in the example…

Thanks

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Are you talking about the style of the search box actually on the page you have linked to? Or how to use Simple Site Search (which is what that page refers to)? Or do you mean the “live search” that starts returning results while you type?

Walter

On Nov 19, 2015, at 10:02 PM, colin hart email@hidden wrote:

Hi,
Does anyone know how to make the search box with results on the Softpress KnowledgeBase page as shown in the example…

Thanks

Simple Site Search Action suite (Pro Only) - Freeway - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hi Walter,

I mean the style and the live search function of the search box on the page…

Thanks

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

The style is easy. Use the Placeholder field in the Inspector to add your “Search KnowledgeBase” text to the field. All browsers display this as light text that disappears the moment you start typing into the field. To get the little magnifying glass in there, locate or create such an image, and set it as the background-image of the text field using CSS, and in the same style, use left padding to keep the text and placeholder text from overlapping that image. Something like this:

input.search {
  background-image: url(Resources/your-search-icon.gif);
  background-repeat: no-repeat;
  background-position: left center;
  padding-left: 22px;
}

Now as far as the live search goes, you will need to have a search engine on your server that can respond to queries with a simple list of results, and you will need to use an “Ajax” (out-of-band JavaScript HTTP) request to send those requests to the server after the visitor types something. If you were planning on using SimpleSiteSearch for this, you can’t, at least not as it is currently designed. I just built one of these for Comedy Central, and it was not a lot of work relative to the rest of the site, but that was because all the content was in a database, and I was using Rails, which has excellent support for Ajax requests baked in.

The KnowledgeBase is built using a PHP/MySQL application (can’t remember the name of it for the life of me!) that includes this lovely feature out of the box. It’s not something that was built entirely with Freeway, although the templates (HTML) were built in Freeway, and then cut up and combined with the rest of the PHP files that make up that system.

It strikes me that SimpleSiteSearch could be extended to provide this feature, but I didn’t write that Action so I can’t comment on how difficult it might be. The fact that the search engine is entirely written in JavaScript means that it would be uniquely positioned to provide this feature without a lot of server configuration or databases needed.

Walter

On Nov 20, 2015, at 7:45 AM, colin hart email@hidden wrote:

Hi Walter,

I mean the style and the live search function of the search box on the page…

Thanks

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options