[Pro] Single line indents with HTML text

Dear Freeway people,

Apologies if this seems a rudimentary question, but I’ve looked for answers here and in the Freeway guides and can’t find anything. I’m setting poems for a website in HTML text, some lines of which (that is, in the main body of the poem) are variously indented. The only options that seem available in the Inspector palette are first line indent, entire text block indent, and right indent, and I’ve been through the text styles without coming up with an answer. Any advice greatly appreciated!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

What you need is a line-break (not a return). As in all Mac DTP applications, the shortcut for that is Shift-Return.

Another approach is to use a different tag (not a paragraph) to format your poems. I often use an ordered list if I’m hand-coding, and can create a style that suppresses the line-markers. This maps nicely in terms of the code to how a scholar would think about a poem.

Type in the poem with a full return after each line, and two returns after each stanza. Select the first stanza as a block, and in the Inspector’s List segment, press the Indent right arrow once. Change the Style picker to Numbered. Now look in your Styles palette. You’ll see a new paragraph style (named style42 or similar) highlighted. Control-click on it and choose Edit Style from the contextual menu. Give the style a memorable name in the Name field. Click on the Extended button and press New in the sub-dialog that appears. Enter the following name/value pair:

• Name: list-style-type
  • Value: none

(If you’re reading this in mail, don’t type the back-ticks (`). They are there to format this message a little more clearly on the Web, and you won’t see them in the Web view.)

Okay out of the stack of dialogs, and preview, and you should see the numbered markers disappear. The poem will still be indented, which may not be what you want. If that’s the case, go back to your Styles palette, make note of the name of your new poem style, say it’s labeled as ¶stanza. Now choose New Style from the “gear” menu and in the Tag field, enter .stanza li (leading dot is important). Tab into the Name field and delete whatever is there, then tab out to make sure that Freeway notices that you want it to be empty. Finally, in the Extended dialog as before, enter Name: margin-left, Value: 0.

There’s lots of other things you can do while you’re in here. You can create a font preference in the ¶stanza style, you can set the Space Before and Space After in ¶stanza to set the inter-stanza spacing, you can set the Leading in the .stanza li to govern how tightly the lines will appear when a long line wraps in a narrow browser, and you can set Space Before/After to govern how much line-spacing there is between lines of the poem.

Now that you have those two styles created, you can apply the ¶stanza style to each of the following stanzas in the poem. Just select all of the lines of the stanza and click once on ¶stanza in the Styles palette list. It’s very important that you never apply the .stanza li style to anything on the page – this is a Tag-only style, meaning it is stepping outside of Freeway’s understanding of HTML, and you just have to trust that it is working, even when it only appears to do so in the Preview mode.

Walter

On Jul 3, 2013, at 7:38 AM, Gerry wrote:

Dear Freeway people,

Apologies if this seems a rudimentary question, but I’ve looked for answers here and in the Freeway guides and can’t find anything. I’m setting poems for a website in HTML text, some lines of which (that is, in the main body of the poem) are variously indented. The only options that seem available in the Inspector palette are first line indent, entire text block indent, and right indent, and I’ve been through the text styles without coming up with an answer. Any advice greatly appreciated!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Dear Walter,

Lordy—many thanks for this incredibly detailed explanation. I greatly appreciate the time and care you have put into this. I’ll have a go based on what you’ve advised and let you know how it goes. Really all I need is something that’ll help me indent individual lines within a stanza block by varying degrees. In something like InDesign you simply highlight the line and use the left indent, setting the mm values. I’d wondered if something similar was possible in Freeway, but it seems not. When I just input manually using the spacebar or the tab (another way of doing it in the DTP program) nothing happens in Freeway, of course. I have a very limited html knowledge, but enough to put the spaces in in HTML, but I’ve never understood how to get into HTML in Freeway which I believe is more complicated anyway in how it handles the code. My thanks again!

Gerry

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Spaces and tabs, no matter how many you put in a row, always collapse to a single space. That’s just how HTML works. If you want to (and I don’t recommend this) you can put non-breaking spaces in the line to give it the indent. Option-space makes those. But you would never align text with spaces in a DTP app, right?

You can create a set of styles for each of the amounts of indent and apply them to individual lines in the list. In the Extended interface, the attribute you want to enter is padding-left, and set [whatever number]px (no space between the number and the px) as the value. Make sure you don’t do anything to make that a paragraph style, and give it a distinctive name. You should be able to apply that to a single line in your list without breaking the style of the list itself.

Walter

On Jul 3, 2013, at 9:10 AM, Gerry wrote:

Dear Walter,

Lordy—many thanks for this incredibly detailed explanation. I greatly appreciate the time and care you have put into this. I’ll have a go based on what you’ve advised and let you know how it goes. Really all I need is something that’ll help me indent individual lines within a stanza block by varying degrees. In something like InDesign you simply highlight the line and use the left indent, setting the mm values. I’d wondered if something similar was possible in Freeway, but it seems not. When I just input manually using the spacebar or the tab (another way of doing it in the DTP program) nothing happens in Freeway, of course. I have a very limited html knowledge, but enough to put the spaces in in HTML, but I’ve never understood how to get into HTML in Freeway which I believe is more complicated anyway in how it handles the code. My thanks again!

Gerry

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Many thanks again, Walter. This is invaluable. I’ll experiment with it and see how I get on. I’ll look at making the style sets you’re recommending as it sounds like this is the professional way to go about things.

With best wishes
Gerry

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden