[Pro] Styling of Text within a Table

I have a style set up with a tag of td. and a Name.

When i create a table and insert the necessary text, the text still needs manual styling ie i have to select the text and then apply the correct style.

What am i doing wrong please?

John

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

I can’t speak for tables at all, John - but isn’t there the (I cite from SP):

Beautiful data tables (new)

which should make creating own styles pretty needless?

Tag-styles are usually not reflected in Freeway’s workspace (which isn’t entirely true cause some do). But it may happen (for this reason) that you need to force publish. Do they show in browser (where the truth is?)

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thomas,

I am obviously doing something wrong again as they do not show up correctly in the browser either???.

Sorry not sure i understand the comment about the Beautiful tables …

John

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Do you have an active link for this?

I use tables so rare, I’m perhaps not the best to judge, but there are extended styling opportunities (perhaps). Just grabbed this from:

Feel freedom with … when you scroll down.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thomas,

OK, You are referring to the Action Table Styler, which i do use, it helps in making the table more interesting to view, by changing background colours and borders etc.

Ref the active link, this is part of a larger web site and i cannot display this particular table at this time as it has information that is only available later in December, I will try and rig up a quick test site so that you can see it.

but i can’t do that now.

John

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hello,

Ok my example table is here:-

http://www.reenoserve.com/tabletest/

The right hand cols are the ones under test (Excluding the heading)

The text in the top two rows of the top two cols is formatted incorrectly, it is the wrong colour and it should be centered.

But i have realized how do you format different cells to format differently if for example you want one cell to be in Blue and the other in Red, have i answered my own question here…???

You cannot use the td tag?

so you have to style manually?

thx

John

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

if for example you want one cell to be in Blue and the other in Red, have i answered my own question here…???

You cannot use the td tag?

Not on its own as the td tag will target every cell.

You could use the Extend button (in the cell section in the Inspector) to add a class of blue or red to the chosen cells and then use

td.blue { mystyle: myattribute; }

td.red { myredstyle: myredattribute; }

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

David,

Thanks, i think i will give up on the changing colour idea as the particular cells in question will change colour depending on the content.

On the basic question of the td tag, it does not work for me on the table as illustrated using the link provided in the previous post, so not sure what i am doing wrong there?

thx

John

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

it does not work for me on the table as illustrated using the link provided in the previous post, so not sure what i am doing wrong there?

Where did you add this td style? Not seeing it at that link.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Dave,

Ok, Back to Basics for me now.

When i create a Style for Table Cell data format, i can assign it to a particular Cell through the Inspector.

When i create a Style for Table Cell data format and assign the tag td to that Style, i can no longer assign it via the inspector as it is no longer available to me…( however it is still listed if i choose to Edit the Style)

I assumed that the td style was loaded via the resources into the browser and used that way… this is wrong i assume…??

Thx

John

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Let me say it that way:

A TAG style is something a browser is aware of. It simply knows to handle cause it’s part of it.

Creating a real TAG style means, that you change browser’s default behavior “globally”.

A simple example are “links”:

We don’t style “specifically” the link appearance, we overwrite the default behavior towards our needs. So changing the default blue underlined link to something closer to our design. Links are

<a> Tags

They don’t require any prefix cause a browser knows what he does. We can manage its appearance whether page-wide or item-specific.

A TAG style in Freeway is to create in the TAG field (ENTIRELY) without having something in the name field!!! Those are naturally not for the use of an item: It’s global.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thomas,

Thank You… got it…

And. if i create a td style with no name the cells in the table assume that td style unless i go into that cell and override the style manually in the inspector, so that will be useful for me when it comes to changing the colours of certain cell Text

And the td style is in effect in the Page view “Design Mode” which is always helpful.

Thanks Again

John

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

You could use the Extend button (in the cell section in the Inspector) to add a class of blue or red to the chosen cells and then use

td.blue { mystyle: myattribute; }

td.red { myredstyle: myredattribute; }

Dave,

Thank You for your input on this, i have the td set up correctly now but I am trying to change the font size on another table on the same web site using your suggestion of the Extended Button,

i have td.smalltext font-size:10

this does not seem to have the desired effect, do i have to sepcify a style name in the above as oppossed to the Font-size statement?

Thank You

John

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

i have td.smalltext font-size:10

this does not seem to have the desired effect, do i have to sepcify a style name in the above as oppossed to the Font-size statement?

td.smalltext assumes that the cell you wish to affect has the .smalltext class name applied to it and that you have added the font-size:10 attribute correctly in the style inspector.

BTW 10 what? px, ems, inches

As usual an example of a page that isn’t working for you will tell us so much more about what you are doing wrong.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Dave,

I have reset my Table Test page it is here:-

http://www.reenoserve.com/tabletest/

i have a style with a td tag and no name set up.

and the text in the subject page appears to be following that td style, however when i look at the style of the text in the cells in the Page Design view it has a style associated which is totally different. so here is the 1st confusion factor for me – which is the correct style for the cells ???

So in this simple example if i want to change the font and size of the text in the column “head 2” how do i do this please?

Thanks again.

John

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Have a look at the style you created - see any obvious errors?

td { color:#036; font-family:'Open Sans', HelveticaNeue, Helvetica Neue, Helveica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size:14px; text-align:center }

Spelling - critical when dealing with Font names : Helveica

Quotes around font names - names with a space in the should always be enclosed in straight quote marks. ie Helvetica Neue should be ‘Helvetica Neue’

if i want to change the font and size of the text in the column “head 2” how do i do this

Columns are far more difficult to style than rows. Create a tr style and it will apply to your rows create a tr.myclass style and it will apply to rows with the myclass style.

Columns are really just individual cells that happen to be on different rows directly above one another - no commonality.

You can select all the cells in a column in the FW interface and add certain attributes to them all at the same time - like bg colour, alignment etc. and (using the extend button ) add a class.

There is the tag but FW’s interface doesn’t allow you to interact with that and it wouldn’t overwrite the specificity applied to a cell within that column anyway.

So if I wanted to change all the styles in a particular column I would add a class to all the cells in that column and use a td.mystyle tag to style them. Remembering that you can add a class name to all the cells in a column in one go.

NB You could use advanced selectors - something like

td:first-child { /* first column */ }
td:first-child + td { /* second column */ }
td:first-child + td + td { /* third column */ }

But that is probably overkill for your needs.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Dave,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time of this issue.

ref the misspelling and incorrect format of Font names, i have absolutely no idea how this happened. (as a note i have experienced FWP File corruption issues recently and Softpress are investigating! i wonder is this issue linked)
Anyway i have edited the font names in the Font Sets within FWP.
On the issue of having a style for a col, i have considered your response and explanation and i think i will give this a pass for the time being.
However, if i want to set up an alternative style for a whole table i assume i can insert td.alternativestyle in the Extended option ?

I will give it a try and see how it works out.

Thank You

John

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

i have experienced FWP File corruption issues recently and Softpress are investigating! i wonder is this issue linked

Unlikely

if i want to set up an alternative style for a whole table i assume i can insert td.alternativestyle in the Extended option ?

If you are styling a whole table then you would probably add the class to the table itself and then use something like

table.myclass td {myattribute:myvalue;}

Unless you were just targeting specific cells.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Dave,

Ok I must admit i do not understand…

table.myclass td {myattribute:myvalue;}

i assume i have to include these in the Table Extended field.

table.myclass is the Name correct?

myclass is this a style i create in the normal style menu?

td {myattribute:myvalue;} is this in the value field?

if i create a style in myclass what am i supposed to put into myattribute and myvalue?

all i want to do in this case is to define a Font, Size, colour and Align… to cover the whole table

sorry very simple basic questions but !!!

John.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On Dec 2, 2015, at 6:37 PM, ejw email@hidden wrote:

Dave,

Ok I must admit i do not understand…

table.myclass td {myattribute:my value;}

This is how you would write the CSS long-hand. And myattribute and my value are totally made-up, not to be copied in your work!

i assume i have to include these in the Table Extended field.

table.myclass is the Name correct?

table.myclass would go in the Tag field, and the Name field would need to be made blank (this is difficult – you have to tab into the Name field, delete whatever is there, and then tab back out of it so it “sticks”. Anything else, and you end up with a Freeway-generated name. Very sneaky!).

myclass is this a style i create in the normal style menu?

You make the style above (the Tag-only style) using the normal style menu.

td {myattribute:myvalue;} is this in the value field?

If you want to add a style attribute that isn’t in the “normal” part of the interface, you use the Extended dialog for this. Click that in the Edit Style dialog, and then in the sub-dialog, you would click new, then in the Name field, enter the part to the left of the colon. Skip the colon, Freeway will add that for you. Then the part after the colon goes in the Value field. If you see a semicolon at the end of the attribute, then don’t enter that, either. To be completely clear, don’t enter any curly-braces, either.

I recommend you read a good primer on CSS, so you can read it and at least know what the parts of the language are and where they go.

if i create a style in myclass what am i supposed to put into myattribute and myvalue?

all i want to do in this case is to define a Font, Size, colour and Align… to cover the whole table

All of these attributes can be added within the normal part of the interface. You will not need to get into the Extended part of the interface at all to do these.

Walter

sorry very simple basic questions but !!!

John.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden