[Pro] Suddenly a blue border appears when I click on a linke. I don't want it

Adding a few files and fine tuning a (very simple) website, I discovered that I had somehow reset it to show a blue border when I left-click on a link. It isn’t going to stop the site functioning, but I don’t want it.

The trouble is that I cannot for the life of me discover what I did and how to revers it. I have tried everything. Can anyone point me in the right direction? All I want is NO border when a link is clicked. Here is what it looks like:

Imgur

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Is this happening in one browser, or different ones (more than one)? Which browsers specifically? What you are seeing is the “outline” attribute, and this is usually part of a robust effort to enable differently-abled persons to use the Web, sometimes with assistive devices, sometimes with nothing more elaborate than the tab key. Most browsers allow a person to navigate the page without using the mouse. In order to enable this, there has to be a visible means of differentiating which element of the page currently has focus. Ultimately, focus happens when you click something with the mouse cursor, but before that, you can tab through the elements of the page, and the blue highlight will appear around each focusable element in turn (links, form elements). When it does, you have to press the Return or Enter key, and that’s the same as a mouse click to the browser.

If you really want to get rid of this, first, ask yourself who you will be disenfranchising. (It might be you one day, after that awful wood-chipper accident.)

If you still want to get rid of it, you can add this code to the Before /HEAD portion of the Page / HTML Markup dialog:

<style>
a:focus { outline: none !important; }
</style>

I am kidding about the wood-chipper. I HAVE seen Fargo. I would not wish that on anyone.

Walter

On Apr 2, 2020, at 8:59 AM, patrick powell email@hidden wrote:

Adding a few files and fine tuning a (very simple) website, I discovered that I had somehow reset it to show a blue border when I left-click on a link. It isn’t going to stop the site functioning, but I don’t want it.

The trouble is that I cannot for the life of me discover what I did and how to revers it. I have tried everything. Can anyone point me in the right direction? All I want is NO border when a link is clicked. Here is what it looks like:

https://imgur.com/r5XLGK2

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thanks for the swift response. I’ve just checked and it happens in Safari, Chrome and Opera but not in Firefox.

So you reckon this is a browser attribute and nothing to do with my site?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

PS I have just read your message properly (skimmed it first of all) and I take your point about disenfranchising some people. In my case, though the site is nothing be a list to pdfs files to be downloaded (as I say it is very simple).

Having said that, I have a follow-up question: just how DO I get to the pages HTML code if and when I want to tinker a little with it. That’s another aspect of Freeway which has puzzled me (thought admittedly the point of Freeway is not to have to bother with the coding.)

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Freeway is an HTML generator. It does not read (or even understand) HTML. But it can write it perfectly, starting from an object model of the page design, and then “dumbing down” that model into whatever level of HTML you would like.

“Getting” the page code is as simple as viewing source in your browser, while you are previewing the site there. Depending on your browser, this may be a top-level command in the menu, or, as in Safari, hidden in an advanced preferences enabled “Develop” menu.

Another trick for reading the source is to designate a programmer’s text editor (BBEdit, TextMate, SublimeText) as a “browser” in the File / Preview in Browser / Browser setup sub-menu. Once you do that, you can choose to preview any given page in that editor, and you’ll see the code that Freeway has generated.

Note carefully: editing that HTML text will not change what you see in the Freeway design interface. In fact, Freeway will consider that file to be “damaged”, and replace it the next time you preview or publish. Everything that Freeway generates is one-way. It’s an artifact, as ephemeral as the PostScript that your word-processing application sends to the printer. The map is not the territory.

So the point is, you can read the generated HTML, and you can learn from it what happens when you poke something in the Freeway interface. But it’s a one-way trip, and you have to make any desired changes in Freeway, then preview or publish, then look at what changed.

Walter

On Apr 2, 2020, at 10:01 AM, patrick powell email@hidden wrote:

PS I have just read your message properly (skimmed it first of all) and I take your point about disenfranchising some people. In my case, though the site is nothing be a list to pdfs files to be downloaded (as I say it is very simple).

Having said that, I have a follow-up question: just how DO I get to the pages HTML code if and when I want to tinker a little with it. That’s another aspect of Freeway which has puzzled me (thought admittedly the point of Freeway is not to have to bother with the coding.)

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options