[Pro] Target Show Hide Layer

Hi,

Does the Target Show Hid Layer Action work when applied to responsive layers please? I thought it was working but it seems to work for about three mouse clicks and then scrambles the images into a different order and what shows etc…etc…

Could anyone advise me if there is a way to have 5 images layered that you can click or scroll through horizontally please within a responsive layout? I’ve tried Carousel but that 's not working properly either within a responsive inline design.

Is it time to move to Xway? I read in a note that you cannot add break points in the current release?

Many thanks

I’m using FW 7.1.4

Many thanks

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

In order to use the Target Show/Hide Layer action within a responsive layer, you need to insert the “base” image inline, like a character of text, and then apply each of the other variants as alternates within the Actions palette. You can’t layer multiple items and have them be treated as a responsive image.

Walter

On Nov 12, 2020, at 12:24 PM, gfel email@hidden wrote:

Hi,

Does the Target Show Hid Layer Action work when applied to responsive layers please? I thought it was working but it seems to work for about three mouse clicks and then scrambles the images into a different order and what shows etc…etc…

Could anyone advise me if there is a way to have 5 images layered that you can click or scroll through horizontally please within a responsive layout? I’ve tried Carousel but that 's not working properly either within a responsive inline design.

Is it time to move to Xway? I read in a note that you cannot add break points in the current release?

Many thanks

I’m using FW 7.1.4

Many thanks

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hi Walter

Thank you for your reply.

I thought that was what I had done. I have high res pass through graphic inline (like a Character of text) within a responsive box set to 100%. I created another identical layer and changed the group number ie: aqua 1 and aqua 2 and then have an inline thumbnails used as a trigger…

It’s very glitchy?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Walter

I have looked at this again and could you please advise me on what you mean by your instruction below? I cant see where to add these variations within the actions palette?

• then apply each of the other variants as alternates within the Actions palette

Many thanks

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Click once on the base image (inline) so its handles are showing. Then in the Action palette, there will be a two-segment tab bar. Click the tab that isn’t currently highlighted (I’m not in front of it at the moment, so I can’t recall the exact name). There you will see pickers to choose the images that will appear on each of the events (hover/click). Use those to navigate to the images you wish to use. The images must be exactly the same pixel dimensions as the base image, by the way, or there will be layout flickering.

Walter

On Nov 13, 2020, at 8:49 AM, gfel email@hidden wrote:

Hi Walter

I have looked at this again and could you please advise me on what you mean by your instruction below? I cant see where to add these variations within the actions palette?

• then apply each of the other variants as alternates within the Actions palette

Many thanks

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Walter.

Thank you yes, like when you add images to a rollover?

I am only seeing a one segment tab bar in the actions palette which shows:

Initially
Restore
Effect
Target Group

I see in the bottom right the action is number 2.0.17 Target Show / Hide Layer?

Is this the right version of the action?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Oh, shoot. I was thinking of rollover. I don’t know at all how to get this Action to work inline. Sorry.

Walter

On Nov 13, 2020, at 9:06 AM, gfel email@hidden wrote:

Hi Walter.

Initially
Restore
Effect
Target Group

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thank you, at least I know I am fighting a losing battle!!!
Thanks for trying to help me :slight_smile:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

me again!

Just to be absolutely sure, before I redesign my pages…

Could you confirm there is no way at all to have a carousel or layer images that work with a trigger button in an inline responsive design?

So all images have to be in an inline grid type arrangement (side by side) making all variations visible rather than one product visible and you can click / scroll to see other variations of the same design?

I have one design with seven variations and would like only one to be visible at time and the others appearing in the same window.

Thanks

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Carousel2 can be used in an inline layout, but it cannot be flexible within that layout. It doesn’t support percentage dimensions.

Walter

On Nov 13, 2020, at 9:35 AM, gfel email@hidden wrote:

me again!

Just to be absolutely sure, before I redesign my pages…

Could you confirm there is no way at all to have a carousel or layer images that work with a trigger button in an inline responsive design?

So all images have to be in an inline grid type arrangement (side by side) making all variations visible rather than one product visible and you can click / scroll to see other variations of the same design?

I have one design with seven variations and would like only one to be visible at time and the others appearing in the same window.

Thanks

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thank you. Yes I’ve tried the carousel option.

Ao you know if there any third party app’s I could design it in and slot it into my inline layout?

Hope so!

Do you think Xway is years off being up and ready?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Xway is in active development, and coming along nicely, but I would have no way to give you any sort of time scale towards its release. (I don’t have any inside information to give you, even though I’ve raised a beer with the Managing Director from time to time. In any case, I may have signed an NDA…)

I know that the developers have set Freeway conversion as a v1 goal, and while so far Xway is quite capable of building certain kinds of HTML layouts, it doesn’t cover the entire landscape of possible options present in Freeway. Depending on how you define Freeway conversion, this could mean a longer time to hit that goal. If the decision was to cover a very limited number of layout styles, with much manual cleaning needed after conversion, then this could be done much sooner. The devil, as always, is in the details.

I’m reminded of the Import HTML feature added to Freeway in v3 or so. I saw that with great excitement, and tried it out exactly twice. Both times, trying to read in HTML that Freeway had just generated. The results were amusing at best, and unusable in the other. Perhaps it was meant to read in long-form HTML such as you might get from MS Word. Anyway, if your hope is to open your Freeway document in Xway and carry your work forward without fuss, you’re probably going to be waiting a while. Starting from a blank page in Xway (or any other app) will always be my recommended path, because you get the benefit of taking “what you meant”, which you can look at in a browser side-by-side with your new work, and converting that into the new-world styling in your new design idiom.

Walter

On Nov 13, 2020, at 9:47 AM, gfel email@hidden wrote:

Thank you. Yes I’ve tried the carousel option.

Ao you know if there any third party app’s I could design it in and slot it into my inline layout?

Hope so!

Do you think Xway is years off being up and ready?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thank you Walter, I agree its better to start from scratch when Xway arrives.

Could I ask you about your sticker action? Does this work to stick the menu to the top the page on an when inline and responsive please in FW7?

I read a thread on here which makes me think it won’t work? Is there a simple way to create a sticky top menu bar please?

Best wishes

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

According to the page on ActionsForge:

This Action may only be applied to a CSS-positioned Layer element, either a stand-alone layer, or a nested layer (CSS checkbox checked). If you are using Freeway 5.5’s RPL on the same page, be sure to experiment with the Remove from RPL Action on the “stuck” element as well.

I know I made a run at trying to make it work with inline elements, but I couldn’t work out how to make it work both ways. You can try overriding the position of the element using the extended attributes. Try adding position: sticky; top: [some number]px to it and see if that makes it do what you need.

Walter

On Nov 13, 2020, at 1:50 PM, gfel email@hidden wrote:

Thank you Walter, I agree its better to start from scratch when Xway arrives.

Could I ask you about your sticker action? Does this work to stick the menu to the top the page on an when inline and responsive please in FW7?

I read a thread on here which makes me think it won’t work? Is there a simple way to create a sticky top menu bar please?

Best wishes

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Just to comment on this:

A “layer” in Freeway terminology is a CSS box that is absolutely positioned. That doesn’t include inflow (relatively positioned) boxes.

If you look at the Inspector palette in Freeway, there is a Layer checkbox for non-inflow boxes, but a CSS checkbox for inflow boxes.

Jeremy

On 13 Nov 2020, at 14:11, Walter Lee Davis email@hidden wrote:

Oh, shoot. I was thinking of rollover. I don’t know at all how to get this Action to work inline. Sorry.

Walter

On Nov 13, 2020, at 9:06 AM, gfel email@hidden wrote:

Hi Walter.

Initially
Restore
Effect
Target Group

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Walter

Thank you.

I’ve had a play around with your sticky action and it does seem to work, providing you are happy to ‘stick’ the elements at the same place on each page. When you try adjusting the stick on the phone size pages etc. it changes them on all the pages sizes.

Would your suggestion below enable me to change the position for the stick on each different size page? If so could you tell me how to add this command you suggest below please?

Many thanks

You can try overriding the position of the element using the extended attributes. Try adding position: sticky; top: [some number]px to it and see if that makes it do what you need.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I don’t know if the extended CSS changes based on page size. You might need to write your own size-based media queries in the page head, manually. There’s nothing about this that would be easy or predictable based on how Freeway 7 implements media queries.

Walter

On Nov 17, 2020, at 12:51 PM, gfel email@hidden wrote:

Hi Walter

Thank you.

I’ve had a play around with your sticky action and it does seem to work, providing you are happy to ‘stick’ the elements at the same place on each page. When you try adjusting the stick on the phone size pages etc. it changes them on all the pages sizes.

Would your suggestion below enable me to change the position for the stick on each different size page? If so could you tell me how to add this command you suggest below please?

Many thanks

You can try overriding the position of the element using the extended attributes. Try adding position: sticky; top: [some number]px to it and see if that makes it do what you need.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden