[Pro] unable to upload site

I have recently updated to el capitan. Using Freeway 7.1.1 . On the first upload since the system upgrade Freeway wants to reload the whole site but the upload fails each time and does not complete. I am uploading using passive and have tried non passive and automatic but each time it cuts out each time at a different place. Varying messages of time outs, network etc. I have thought of deleting the site using other software but am wary that I may not be able to reload. Is there anything else I can do?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Firstly try creating a new Site Folder on your Mac and set your Document to publish into that - in File>Document Setup (under the 1st Tab, half way down Site Folder)

Next Edit>Resources - make sure there are none missing then Update All and Resample All.

Restart your Mac and Freeway and then do a fresh publish into the newly created site folder and then try a fresh Upload.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks very much for the advice. Will try what you say tomorrow morning and report back.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Have tried what you said but to no avail. I also had a backup on Time Machine that was put there before the latest system upgrade so I bought that back onto my computer. The same thing happened again. The message I get mostly is ‘Timed out. Cannot complete upload because an error occurred while sending network data’.

I have had this happen occasionally in the past but a second try has always uploaded correctly. Not sure what to do now other than rebuild the site piece by piece and upload bit by bit which I don’t relish.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I have had this happen occasionally in the past but a second try has always uploaded correctly. Not sure what to do now other than rebuild the site piece by piece and upload bit by bit which I don’t relish.

Have you considered that this might be a server fault.

Try using a standalone FTP app like Transmit or Cyberduck and create a new folder on your server - then see if you can FTP the contents of your site folder into the new folder you created. That way you will not affect your existing site.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

I put a folder with a copy of the site folder inside on the server using Fetch and it uploaded without problem. Took a long time but worked. Still having the same upload problem using Freeway though. Not sure what to do now. Would a clean install of the system help?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 30 Oct 2015, 11:14 am, David King wrote:

… took a long time … but worked.

Sometimes cleaning the resources and reviewing file-sizes is a good thing as well. Of what files and sizes do we talk? I know - it’s not helping to fix this problem, but worth a question?

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I did wonder about file sizes as some photos are fairly big so had already started to review them. Could there be some corruption in the folder somewhere? It never stops uploading at the same place and had it done so I might have been able to isolate the problem.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hm - difficult to answer, and there has been lots of talks about this issue as well in the past.

Me personally, I detected some actions tend to force re-uploads - with the consequence of eliminate them towards hand-hack - especially with “heavy resources” involved.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I have recently been noting where it stops. It is always a photo upload and a fairly big file. This week is school half term which means it is possible there is much more traffic on the line and we are a rural area and not on fibre. Normally the whole site only seems to re-upload when there is a software update (as now) so all these larger files will have been uploaded previously separately as time went by. I just wonder if things may improve next week.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I have recently been noting where it stops. It is always a photo upload and a fairly big file.

Do you optimise your images?

It is quite likely that you are using images that have a far larger file size than you require. Generally you dont need an image file size any bigger than 200k (many much smaller). You should look at your pages and add up how many images X their file size to give you an approx page size. 0.5 - 1Mb total file size is good.

Post a link to your site and we can have a look.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

www.norfolkplantheritage.org.uk. The galleries have a large number of photos and I suspect some are too big so I will start looking at them. Your advice is much appreciated. Hopefully I can crack this problem.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden