[Pro] Updating Mals Cart

I would like to have a small ‘shopping cart area’ near to the top of the page (as in say http://boden.co.uk ) that updated with every item a customer added to it, then when ready the customer could select a checkout button and be sent to, in my case, Mal’s.

At the moment I use Tim Plumb’s super ‘Mals E-Commerce Suite’ but, as each item is added it sends the user off site to Mal’s to look at the cart where they are able to check out or return to site as they wish; all fine and good for my current site where I sell boots and shoes and would expect the customer to only buy a pair at a time. However I have been asked to build a site for someone who imagines multiple items purchased each session.

So my question is, is there a way I can collect the information regarding the various items purchased, sometimes with size, quantity and colour variables, update a ‘shopping cart area’ on the page, then allow the user to continue to browse and add further items to the cart (which visually updates) before hitting a checkout button and then all the info is sent to Mals?

Any help gladly accepted. I’ve never dealt with forms before but guess that this maybe the answer?

Many thanks,
David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

You might want to look at FoxyCart instead of Mals for this. What
you’re describing is an Ajax cart, similar to what Apple and the Gap
do on their Web stores. Mal’s can’t do this, and you can’t make it
work with an iframe because after you add something to the cart, it
tries to redirect you back to the originating page, so you’d end up
with a page inside a page.

Walter

On Mar 29, 2010, at 7:48 PM, David Murray wrote:

I would like to have a small ‘shopping cart area’ near to the top of
the page (as in say http://boden.co.uk ) that updated with every
item a customer added to it, then when ready the customer could
select a checkout button and be sent to, in my case, Mal’s.

At the moment I use Tim Plumb’s super ‘Mals E-Commerce Suite’ but,
as each item is added it sends the user off site to Mal’s to look at
the cart where they are able to check out or return to site as they
wish; all fine and good for my current site where I sell boots and
shoes and would expect the customer to only buy a pair at a time.
However I have been asked to build a site for someone who imagines
multiple items purchased each session.

So my question is, is there a way I can collect the information
regarding the various items purchased, sometimes with size, quantity
and colour variables, update a ‘shopping cart area’ on the page,
then allow the user to continue to browse and add further items to
the cart (which visually updates) before hitting a checkout button
and then all the info is sent to Mals?

Any help gladly accepted. I’ve never dealt with forms before but
guess that this maybe the answer?

Many thanks,
David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I am currently in the process of building a shopping cart with Mal’s but realise that I need the same functionality as David. How well does ‘FoxyCart’ integrate with Freeway Pro do you know? Is it as easy as Mal’s?

Thanks!
Amanda


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

There is an example how to do this using Mal’s Ecommerce on this site: http://www.tne.co.uk/mals/

They have lots of other useful Mal’s customisation examples

The exact page with an example is here http://www.tne.co.uk/mals/viewcart.php

David Owen { Freeway Friendly Web hosting and Domains }

http://www.ineedwebhosting.co.uk | http://www.PrintlineAdvertising.co.uk

On 30 Mar 2010, at 00:48, David Murray wrote:

I would like to have a small ‘shopping cart area’ near to the top of the page (as in say http://boden.co.uk ) that updated with every item a customer added to it, then when ready the customer could select a checkout button and be sent to, in my case, Mal’s.

At the moment I use Tim Plumb’s super ‘Mals E-Commerce Suite’ but, as each item is added it sends the user off site to Mal’s to look at the cart where they are able to check out or return to site as they wish; all fine and good for my current site where I sell boots and shoes and would expect the customer to only buy a pair at a time. However I have been asked to build a site for someone who imagines multiple items purchased each session.

So my question is, is there a way I can collect the information regarding the various items purchased, sometimes with size, quantity and colour variables, update a ‘shopping cart area’ on the page, then allow the user to continue to browse and add further items to the cart (which visually updates) before hitting a checkout button and then all the info is sent to Mals?

Any help gladly accepted. I’ve never dealt with forms before but guess that this maybe the answer?

Many thanks,
David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

waltd - thanks for your reply, I will look at FoxyCart but as I’m familiar with Mals I going to firstly attempt David Owen’s suggestion.

David - I think, just what I was looking for. However, not quite sure how to implement this with Freeway (5 Pro). Any tips to point me (and Amanda) in the right direction? Would I still be able to use Tim’s suite or the built in Freeway Actions?

Also, as you will be hosting the site, is there anything I would need to set up domain side?

Thanks in advance,
David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hi David,

The script will run on our servers. I’ve never actually tried to do this particular script in Freeway (although it one on the list to play around with).

It will take some understanding of how code works and how to place code into Freeway in the right places as there are no Actions for this.

Here is another tutorial of how to do this here (Best seen in Firefox as Safari does not like the page):

http://projects.jesseheap.com/all-projects/setting-up-a-summary-cart-on-your-site-with-php

David

On 30 Mar 2010, at 21:14, David Murray wrote:

waltd - thanks for your reply, I will look at FoxyCart but as I’m familiar with Mals I going to firstly attempt David Owen’s suggestion.

David - I think, just what I was looking for. However, not quite sure how to implement this with Freeway (5 Pro). Any tips to point me (and Amanda) in the right direction? Would I still be able to use Tim’s suite or the built in Freeway Actions?

Also, as you will be hosting the site, is there anything I would need to set up domain side?

Thanks in advance,
David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Thanks David,

This’ll keep me busy today. Might be back for some more help later!

Are you aware of any tutorials on the use of and inserting php in Freeway?

Thanks,
David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Try this from keith: PHP and MySQL Explained: lessons, script samples and book recommendations

this will help with starting off using php

then search this forum

David

On 31 Mar 2010, at 09:47, David Murray wrote:

Are you aware of any tutorials on the use of and inserting php in Freeway?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options