[Pro] upload difficulty

For some reason I am having difficulty uploading to a site that has not given that sort of problem for some years. I have tried passive, non-passive and automatic, all many times. Whereas previously I may have needed to try twice, or perhaps three times, I believe the number of my recent unsuccessful attempts would be close to twenty. Each time I am given the message “operation timed out” with the code [-26372:625:1220]. I am using satellite broadband, which is generally slow, but never previously with these results. I have checked with the ISP, and I’m presently using 54 Mb of a 10 Gb space, so that shouldn’t be the problem. Is there anything you can suggest, or is it just due to the slow internet speed?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

On 24 Feb 2016, at 07:18, John Halfpenny wrote:

For some reason I am having difficulty uploading to a site that has not given that sort of problem for some years. I have tried passive, non-passive and automatic, all many times. Whereas previously I may have needed to try twice, or perhaps three times, I believe the number of my recent unsuccessful attempts would be close to twenty. Each time I am given the message “operation timed out” with the code [-26372:625:1220]. I am using satellite broadband, which is generally slow, but never previously with these results. I have checked with the ISP, and I’m presently using 54 Mb of a 10 Gb space, so that shouldn’t be the problem. Is there anything you can suggest, or is it just due to the slow internet speed?

The problem with a satellite connection is not so much ‘speed’ as in bit-rate, but in delay. It takes time for each packet to get up there and back. This is similar to the delay you see on television news when getting a report from ‘our correspondent in xyz’ over a satellite link. It can be a second. This can confuse server software if the timeouts are too tight. If it used to work and now doesn’t, and you’re running the same OS as before, then something changed at their end or to the delays in the satellite link.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thanks David.
I’m going to try somewhere else with better internet accessibility, but the owner of the Mac that I have in mind does not have Freeway Pro at all. Do I need to take my whole computer, or is it possible to take the application itself and just some files, and if so, which files?
Thanks … John H

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 25 Feb 2016, at 05:10, John Halfpenny wrote:

Thanks David.
I’m going to try somewhere else with better internet accessibility, but the owner of the Mac that I have in mind does not have Freeway Pro at all. Do I need to take my whole computer, or is it possible to take the application itself and just some files, and if so, which files?
Thanks … John H

Just the folder that you have designated as the ‘Site’ folder for that site. FW only uploads from there. That’s the folder that
your browser looks at when you Preview.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks David
I can’t get anywhere with that idea – the owner of the other mac is away indefinitely.
The present file (I’ll call it A118) has 118 pages – it belongs with an amateur theatre company and has information about past shows, awards won, life members, costumes etc.
We have been promised a better satellite internet connection some time after April, but I’d like to get some current details out there before then.
I can save the current file as say, A118old, (to revert to when the satellite connection improves) and make up a new 2-page (current information) file which will hopefully upload better.
Questions: In making up the 2-page file, must I start a new file, or can I work from A118, deleting the pages and links I no longer need?
And if it is necessary to start a new file, do I work from scratch, or can I copy from A118?
Does the 2-page file have to be called A118 to upload successfully to the server which “is used to” a file called A118? Or can I call the new 2-page file A2 and upload it? Does that automatically replace the A118 on the server?
I’ll look forward to your replies – thanks again… John H

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

In making up the 2-page file, must I start a new file, or can I work from A118, deleting the pages

You can name your new FW file/changed file anything you like - the important thing to remember is that if you are creating a new file and want new pages then the file names of the new pages must be unique or they will overwrite existing files.

Your real problem is creating links from the existing file/pages to the new ones.

You might be best to edit a copy of the existing file, deleting all the pages apart from the ones you are changing (retaining file names) and then upload just those 2 pages - however if you have added/changed images etc. on the new pages the Resources for them should be uploaded too.

The problem can be that if an image/Resource is used throughout the site uploading new Resources can have unexpected consequences.

Can you share a link to the existing site and give us an idea of what you want to change and on which pages - that will help us give a more definitive answer.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Yes, it’s allegrotheatreco.com, and I would make the new file with just a simplified home page (probably without the “Last Show” details, replaced by a note explaining that the abbreviated file is hopefully temporary) and including the “News” page as well. Two pages should be easier to upload. I’ll probably put the email contact address on the home page as well.
From what you’ve said, it seems safer to delete all pages I don’t want (after saving the original with a different name) as well as all links to them, leaving just the home page and the “News” page. And leave the name of the file as A118?
I’ll be changing text on the two pages – I’m not sure how this fits with your advice “however if you have added/changed images etc. on the new pages the Resources for them should be uploaded too.”
Thanks … John H

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden