[Pro] Upload

Hi!
I have tried to upload my site to my server via FTP. I entered the data required, and everything SEEMED to work. However, when I enter the name of the site in my browser, I come to a page called ‘Index of/’, but none of my files.
Here are the data I entered:
Server: 185.82.22.193
Directory: 1st attempt empty, 2nd attempt ‘/’ (without the quotes), both as adviced by the server
Port: first empty, then 21, as above
Password:…
Web address: http://www.landshape.net.
FTP mode: 1st & 2nd attempt Automatic, 3rd Passive.

In the 2nd and 3rd attempt, the software obviously only looked for changes, since these attempts passed much faster.

What is wrong?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Do you have some upload instructions from your service provider?

My guess is that the files need to be uploaded to a different directory.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Jeremy, thanks for your reply.
The 1. advice by my provider was as said to leave the directory field blank.

After the upload with these data, that SEEMED to work, the files show up in home/landshap, but to in home/landshap/public_html.

Later, another member of the staff advised me to use /home/landshap/public_html

If I try that, I get the error report “Cannot complete upload because a file or folder could not be accessed. [5550 Can’t change directory to /home: No such file or directory]”

Kind regards - Hening

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Hening,

What I would do to figure this out is to use a third-party FTP program (Cyberduck, Transmit etc.) to investigate the folder structure and upload a test index.html page.

When you’ve found where it needs to go (so that it shows up when you visit your web domain), use that as the directory in Freeway.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Jeremy

I have tried that earlier, using FileZilla. I could drag the file landshape.net.freeway into the public_html folder, and after the upload, it showed up there. And when I entered landshape.net into the browser, it showed landshape.net - but as files, not ‘rendered’ in the way it does when ‘published’ in Freeway. It looked like this:
Index of /landshape.net
-Name - Last modified - Size - Description
Parent Directory
Media
Site Folder
landshape.net.freeway
landshape.net.freeway_/

That’s why I wanted to go back to the upload function of Freeway.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Usually, if you see a page that lists an index of files, it’s because you haven’t uploaded your own index.html file.

1. Make sure that your home page has index.html as its file name (in Freeway).

2. After publishing from Freeway, try uploading this file (“index.html” in your Site folder) to the public_html folder (using FileZilla)

3. See if it shows up in your web browser

4. Delete all the other files and folders that you uploaded with FileZilla. You generally don’t want to upload your freeway document (landshape.net.freeway) or your Media folder or your entire Site folder. (Freeway will upload the relevant contents of your site folder, but it won’t upload the folder itself.)

5. If FileZilla shows the directory as /public_html or public_html, trying entering these in the Directory field in Freeway (try public_html first, then /public_html if that doesn’t work).

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

ad 1
Hm, the Inspector shows: Title: Home ; File: index.html. Is that OK? Or shall I set the Title to index.html too?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hm, the Inspector shows: Title: Home ; File: index.html. Is that OK? Or shall I set the Title to index.html too?

That’s just fine!

Don’t change the title - this is what shows up in the browser title bar or tab bar.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

After publishing from Freeway, try uploading this file (“index.html” in your Site folder) to the public_html folder (using FileZilla)

Hm, In FileZilla, I can only select folders for upload…

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hm, In FileZilla, I can only select folders for upload…

I think it should let you drag a file from your source folder to your upload folder.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Uff! FileZilla shows the files in a panel separate from the folders! As a Mac user, I’m accustomed to see them indented under their respective folders…!
So I dragged index.html from the local panel of FileZilla to the public_html folder on the Remote Site pane, which worked and was described as successful.
But when I enter landshape.net in my browser, I see the blank Home page, without the text, and I can not navigate to the rest. Understandable, since nothing else has been uploaded …?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Hening,

So I dragged index.html from the local panel of FileZilla to the public_html folder on the Remote Site pane, which worked and was described as successful.
But when I enter landshape.net in my browser, I see the blank Home page, without the text, and I can not navigate to the rest. Understandable, since nothing else has been uploaded …?

Yes. This shows that public_html is the correct folder.

The next step is to try and upload your site from within Freeway. Select Upload in the File menu and enter public_html as the Directory name.

If that doesn’t work, try putting a slash at the start (/public_html).

Actually, you should be able to determine the Directory path by looking at what FileZilla shows in the field labelled “Remote site”.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

WOW! Indeed that worked with /public_html! Thank you for your help!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden