[Pro] Uploading using TLS

I’m currently using Tsohost to host all my websites.

Over the past few days they have told me I cannot upload/amend any websites other than by uploading using TLS? I don’t have this option of my Freeway 7.

Don’t have a clue where to start by using Filezilla or similar as always just used the freeway upload for the past 20 years!

Advice Please.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Hi Gordon,

It does get a bit confusing with all the new/old security now required to use the internet.

I think Tsohost are trying to get people to upload files using a secure connection.

A bit of googling and reading I came up with this…

TLS is Transport Layer Security and SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) are both network protocols that allow data to be transferred privately and securely between a web server and a web browser

TLS replaced SSL in 1999 as the preferred method of encryption between server and Browser, it is open source and as such free to use. An example of it is HTTPS. SSL is the older protocol.

SFTP uses the TLS as its security protocol to upload files over a secure connection. It uses one port the encrypt both the connection and the data so it is a more secure form of file transfer.

I would first try uploading with that option selected in the Document set up window.

File > Document Setup… then the Upload Tab, and choose SFTP on the Upload Dropdown menu.

Hope that helps.

Steve.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I also use Tsohost to host one one of my sites and have had this same problem which has now been resolve - sort of.

First of all, you have to send them your IP address - they won’t let you upload until they ‘whitelist’ you - i.e. make sure you are proper

Aslo I got a message from them saying “The error message is referring to the TLS security mechanism. With this in mind make sure your FTP client supports the latest security protocol TLS 1.2”

The only way to upload then is via a FTP client, I use Fetch. As far as I know Freeway is not TLS 1.2 compliant - so I can’t upload directly.

They did also suggest a different host address to send via SFTP, but I can’t get that to work.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks for all your help guys. Now resolved. Now able to upload direct from Freeway. Four different chat sessions failed to solve it. I opened a service ticket and had the answer back in a couple of hours. Tried the upload and bingo… all fine.

Use SFTP (SSH File Transfer) from drop down menu.

Server : host53.servers.prgn.misp.co.uk
Port : 2510
Directory : public_html
Username : As set in CP
Password : As set in CP

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

After reading your comment I finally got the SFTP to work - it helps if you add in the Port number. Many thanks.

Just makes you wonder why Tsohost has a secure upload as well as a less secure one?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden