[Pro] Uploading

Hi everyone. I am a long time fan of Freeway Pro and was sad when they closed their doors.
I still have one site with Freeway Pro above and my client is still very happy with it and doesn’t want to change even though it is not responsive in the traditional way but works very well as long as you are willing to rotate you phone or tablet.
A 2 part question.
I built the site many years ago and have loads of versions of it and loads of folders.
I have changed hosting companies and no matter what we try we can not get it to upload so we have agreed to use filezilla to upload the site.
I want to create a new folder with just the Site, it’s Media and Site folder.
I normally don’t have a problem as Freeway just finds the correct files and uploads it whenever I make changes so the question is how do I get Freeway to create a new folder say on my desktop with just the site and the media and site folder which are used by the current site.
Any help would be great and I’ll ask question 2 when I solve the first one.
Thanks everyone and Stay Safe
Cheers Victor

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

If you look in the Document Setup dialog, under Upload, you will see that there are four methods possible: File Copy, FTP, FTPS, and SFTP. If you choose File Copy, Freeway should prompt you for a folder location where the upload will be created. Alternatively, you can just use the Site Folder as the local side of your FileZilla transfer. Freeway manages that folder, and barring error, it should only contain the current files generated by your Freeway document.

Walter

On Apr 24, 2020, at 9:28 AM, Victor email@hidden wrote:

Hi everyone. I am a long time fan of Freeway Pro and was sad when they closed their doors.
I still have one site with Freeway Pro above and my client is still very happy with it and doesn’t want to change even though it is not responsive in the traditional way but works very well as long as you are willing to rotate you phone or tablet.
A 2 part question.
I built the site many years ago and have loads of versions of it and loads of folders.
I have changed hosting companies and no matter what we try we can not get it to upload so we have agreed to use filezilla to upload the site.
I want to create a new folder with just the Site, it’s Media and Site folder.
I normally don’t have a problem as Freeway just finds the correct files and uploads it whenever I make changes so the question is how do I get Freeway to create a new folder say on my desktop with just the site and the media and site folder which are used by the current site.
Any help would be great and I’ll ask question 2 when I solve the first one.
Thanks everyone and Stay Safe
Cheers Victor

http://eltorosalou.com

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hi Walter thank you for your quick reply I have done the first thing you suggested and it has put a load of files on my desktop including a - index.html file - a CSS folder and a Resources folder.
Do I take all these files and put them in one folder?
And this takes me to Question number 2.
I don’t know if you have used Filezilla before but it has 2 sides, on the left is the folder? you select from your computer and on the right you have the folder on your server which is a subdomain folder I have set up to test if the Freeway site works before I point the domain.
I believe it is then just a drag and drop from one folder to the other?
Have you any experience of this?
and once again thanks for the quick reply
Cheers Victor

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’ve never used this file export feature before, by chance, did you choose a new folder you created on your desktop, or the desktop folder itself? Freeway will not create the surrounding folder, you have to do that yourself, first.

As far as file uploads in FileZilla go, I’ve not used that either, but every other FTP/SFTP tool I have used has had the two-pane metaphor. In Transmit, you would put the local folder in the left pane, and the server’s destination folder on the right pane. Then yes, you can drag-n-drop between them, but maybe you have a feature similar to Transmit’s “Synchronize/mirror directories” command there. Look for it. In Transmit, it will only upload files that either do not exist on the destination, or are newer on the source (left) side than they are on the destination side.

Walter

On Apr 24, 2020, at 11:12 AM, Victor email@hidden wrote:

Hi Walter thank you for your quick reply I have done the first thing you suggested and it has put a load of files on my desktop including a - index.html file - a CSS folder and a Resources folder.
Do I take all these files and put them in one folder?
And this takes me to Question number 2.
I don’t know if you have used Filezilla before but it has 2 sides, on the left is the folder? you select from your computer and on the right you have the folder on your server which is a subdomain folder I have set up to test if the Freeway site works before I point the domain.
I believe it is then just a drag and drop from one folder to the other?
Have you any experience of this?
and once again thanks for the quick reply
Cheers Victor

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Walter I have done the process again and this time it has created a folder with the files I mentioned before all in that folder.
It’s my first time using any FTP thingy not just Filezilla but I’ll have a look at another few tutorials but I know how to connect to the server and hopefully its just a drag and drop I’ll add a quick reply to this post during the weekend to let you know if it all worked out okay.
Thank you for all your help and a pity Freeway didn’t carry on and just get more up to date with the responsive side of things.
Thanks and Stay Safe during these times
Cheers Victor

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

You’re welcome. You should remember that Softpress is back, and is working on a new application that is responsive-first. Xway will eventually be able to do most things Freeway could. There’s a very early “beta” available now for download, although it’s best seen as a “yes, we’re still alive and working on things” rather than a complete example of what the application is going to do when it’s done.

Walter

On Apr 24, 2020, at 12:54 PM, Victor email@hidden wrote:

Hi Walter I have done the process again and this time it has created a folder with the files I mentioned before all in that folder.
It’s my first time using any FTP thingy not just Filezilla but I’ll have a look at another few tutorials but I know how to connect to the server and hopefully its just a drag and drop I’ll add a quick reply to this post during the weekend to let you know if it all worked out okay.
Thank you for all your help and a pity Freeway didn’t carry on and just get more up to date with the responsive side of things.
Thanks and Stay Safe during these times
Cheers Victor

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Walter.
After a few tries to my amazement it worked you can view both sites here

and the test subdomain
toro.sonicpulsestudio.com
Thank you for your help.
I have another question and don’t know if you have done this.
I believe when I point the domain to the new hosting company it will break the link to their email address which is info@ the site above.
I think I then just have to set up the same mail address with the new company and make sure my client backs up his old emails and contacts before I set up the new mail account with the same address.
Then I should not have to change anything on the contact form on their Freeway site?
Have you ever done this and do you know if that is the way it normally works?
I tried to download XWAY here on my Macbook pro but I can’t update it after El Capitan ,however I will download it when I am in the recording studio tomorrow and have a good look.
I was a Big fan of Freeway pro from the start all the way to 7 and the end!
I am glad that you have immediately addressed the multiple undo as it was a disaster if you forgot to save and something happened!!
I would love to be involved with the beta testing of the new program right through to it’s launch and I will get back to you in a few days when I have had a chance to have a good look at it.
Again thank you for your help and Stay Safe in these times.
Cheers Victor

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Yes, this should all just work. You may note that there are some mail services that are much fussier about delivering to a custom domain than others. If your new hosting provider is on their game, and sets up the mail server properly, then this won’t be a problem.

Your client should download all the mail from your current server (this technique will differ based on which desktop mail application they use). Most modern mail servers use a protocol named IMAP, which encourages you to keep everything on the server. Once that process is complete, you should be able to stand up the new server, and as soon as DNS cuts over, the mail will continue on the new server.

You may want to leave both up for a few days after the DNS cut-over, in case anything cached finds its way to the old server. Mail is a store-and-forward protocol, and as I’m sure you’ve noticed, sometimes it is anything but instantaneous.

Walter

On Apr 25, 2020, at 11:42 AM, Victor email@hidden wrote:

I believe when I point the domain to the new hosting company it will break the link to their email address which is info@ the site above.
I think I then just have to set up the same mail address with the new company and make sure my client backs up his old emails and contacts before I set up the new mail account with the same address.
Then I should not have to change anything on the contact form on their Freeway site?
Have you ever done this and do you know if that is the way it normally works?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden