[Pro] Urgent remove site

Hi chaps, a client has a problem (don’t they all) and wants me to remove a site for a couple of weeks, what’s the easiest way of doing this please (ie I want to be able to re upload later with as little effort as possible)

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

When you say remove, do you mean make the site respond with nothing but an error message? Or do you mean show a friendly page like “Coming soon”?

For the former, go into your hosting provider’s cPanel or equivalent, find the site in question, and point its Apache hosting at an empty folder. You can make a new empty folder in your account area using either a SFTP application like Transmit, or your cPanel (usually). That will make the server and domain continue to work, but will “break” the site, leaving 404 errors everywhere.

For the latter, make sure that mod_rewrite is turned on in Apache (most hosts have it on by default), and add (or edit an existing) .htaccess file to contain these lines:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}   \.html$
RewriteRule    ^(.*)     coming_soon.html [NS,QSA,L]

First line turns on the feature, next line filters only html pages to be processed (this will allow you to have images on your Coming Soon page without having them trapped by the same trick. Final line takes every input URL that ends in .html and translates it to coming_soon.html (which needs to exist at the root of your site folder).

Walter

On Feb 12, 2017, at 5:56 AM, Roger Burton email@hidden wrote:

Hi chaps, a client has a problem (don’t they all) and wants me to remove a site for a couple of weeks, what’s the easiest way of doing this please (ie I want to be able to re upload later with as little effort as possible)

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

It occurs to me that you may need one more line to the .htaccess approach, to handle the “just the domain” requests cleanly. So make the final set of rules look like this:

DirectoryIndex   coming_soon.html
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}   \.html$
RewriteRule    ^(.*)     coming_soon.html [NS,QSA,L]

On Feb 12, 2017, at 8:27 AM, Walter Lee Davis email@hidden wrote:

Or do you mean show a friendly page like “Coming soon”?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thank you so much chaps for your very helpful and prompt response, sorted now, good of you.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden