[Pro] Weird Stuff

Have two things happening that I’ve never seen before. First, a pink box around an combo graphic/html box. See:

2nd is positioning of combo graphic/text group… it’s dropping way down low. See:

Any ideas / suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Number One:

happens when a page-width (size) is bigger than the breakpoint set.

So assumed your breakpoint is 480px, but the page-size is set to 600px, you’ll have a 120px pink overlay.

In your case I assume that you use “graphic” items. Graphic items are not responsive cause the image Tag is carrying a fixed-width and height. Both images together are bigger than the breakpoint.

The second problem might be caused by the first, but could be clarified by a live-example which enables us to check code.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks much Tom, but could you please translate that into English? What is a 'breakpoint? Totally lost over here.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I started the page from scratch and the issues seemed to have disappeared. Not sure what’s going on; having ‘strange’ issues ever since upgrading (downgrading?) to El Capitan.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Ha - that’s cool. As a typical german, speaking english on a whim - your wish is damn fair :slight_smile:

So let’s give it a go:

The method we used to use over decades is called drop&drag. This method is out - and never comes back. The reason for this is, that the good ol’ method is about static (which simply doesn’t fit into the modern dynamic world anymore). It’s a bit like Charlie Chaplins’ “Modern World”.

This modern world introduced an expression called “Responsive”. I assume this is english, am not sure though.

The idea behind is to fit content on every device the best we can. So it’s a pretty dynamic beast, isn’t it?

Well - this dynamic is about devices and their screen-widths and I think it’s true to say, that there are billion different devices out there.

Example:

Assumed you set a page-width by 1000px, a mobile device can only display 320px (portrait) of this page. So nearby 700px is hidden and can only be reached by side-scroll. In the “Modern World” you have now the possibility to re-arrange your items. Simply to move everything into this “smaller range” called viewport.

A breakpoint is in Freeway called “media type”. It says:

At media-type “mobile” I’d like to display my stuff different. To me it is technically spoken the “breakpoint”. At this specific point, suddenly something happens. I think “breakpoint” is pretty common.

The pink area shows the situation of “still hidden” content. So everything covered by “pink” causes (unwanted) side-scroll.

Let’s be a bit more serious:

You can do whatever you want. It’s your decision. I’m not aware if you do personal stuff (amateur) or if you do client work. If the first, you’re fine with what you accept. If the latter, the sooner or later you’ll be confronted with “breakpoints (english or not)”. And even if you constantly ignore “Modern Times”, your career may end much quicker you can spell “breakpoint”.

Responsive design is about UX (which is something like user fun (experience) I suppose. A web-designer doesn’t matter anymore (at least not that much as we expect).

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thomas
Well said and for a German great English explanation.
John

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I started the page from scratch and the issues seemed to have disappeared.

Probably because on the new page you didn’t click on one of the Breakpoint Tabs and are just using the Default size.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thanks much Dave… you’re translated Tom’s translation quite well!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden