[Pro] Where do you place your Carousel Panes?

I’m just curious as to where you place your Carousel Panes. I normally line mine up separately on my workspace, but off the page.

Are there any advantages to stacking them instead? Does Carousel care?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Carousel (the first version) actually removes the panes from wherever they are and places them inline within the slider wrapper element when it publishes the page. Carousel 2 leaves them where they are, but then the JavaScript scoops them up and rearranges the page when it loads in the browser. It doesn’t matter where you put them, although with slow browsers, Carousel 2 may thank you for placing them above the page on the pasteboard, where they won’t appear even if the browser takes a while to move them around.

Walter

On Feb 20, 2013, at 8:01 PM, RavenManiac wrote:

I’m just curious as to where you place your Carousel Panes. I normally line mine up separately on my workspace, but off the page.

Are there any advantages to stacking them instead? Does Carousel care?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I must concur with Walter about putting the panes in the pasteboard ABOVE the page. I used to put them on the left side, but on slow computers they flash on for about 200ms and then vanish. Putting them above the page ensure you never see them no matter what.

I’d also like to mention that Carousel2 does not play well with IE7 at all. Your main carousel graphic will be duplicated and popped out of place in the upper left of the browser window, covering any webpage content beneath. In my case, that means the left half of my CSS Menus navigation bar is inaccessible in IE7.

Even if Carousel2 cannot work in IE7, it would be best if that graphic didn’t get duplicated and popped over existing content (especially since it doesn’t do that with Carousel1), but I guess it can’t be helped.

What I’ve done is add some HTML markup that browser sniffs and displays a warning atop all my Carousel2 pages to alert IE6/7 users that their browser is not compatible with that page. I would advise everyone else to do the same, otherwise your page will appear broken and they might think it is your bad web design skills.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hello JDW,

Could you share that mark up code with us please?

Thx

John


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Carousel 1 isn’t playing very nicely with FWP 6.0.2. I just spent 2 hours trying to figure out why one of my Carousel enabled pages had WAY to much desktop space, even though I had flexible page height selected.

It turns out it was because of the placement of my Carousel Panes. Although you couldn’t see them in the browser, they were affecting the browser background.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

The only reason I didn’t post the code before is because it’s for my Japanese site. But here it is:

<!--[if lte IE 7]>  
<div style='border: 1px solid red; background: #ffd3d3; text-align: center; clear: both; height: 75px; position: relative;'>    
<div style='position: absolute; right: 3px; top: 3px; font-family: courier new; font-weight: bold;'>
<a href='#' onclick='javascript:this.parentNode.parentNode.style.display="none"; return false;'><img src='http://visionsecurity.jp/Win7CloseBox_Norm.gif' style='border: none;' alt='閉じる'/></a></div>    
<div style='width: 950px; margin: 0 auto; text-align: left; padding: 0; overflow: hidden; color: black;'> <div style='width: 250px; float: left; font-family: Meiryo, MS PGothic, Sans-serif;'>              
<div style='font-size: 14px; font-weight: bold; margin-top: 12px;'></div>        
<div style='font-size: 12px; margin-top: 4px; line-height: 14px;'></div>      </div>      
<div style='width: 75px; float: left;'><a href='http://www.mozilla.jp' target='_blank'><img src='http://visionsecurity.jp/FireFoxRed.gif' style='border: none;' alt='Firefoxのダウンロード...'/></a></div>      
<div style='width: 75px; float: left;'>
<a href='http://windows.microsoft.com/ja-JP/internet-explorer/downloads/ie' target='_blank'><img src='http://visionsecurity.jp/ExplorerRed.gif' style='border: none;' alt='Internet Explorerのダウンロード...'/></a></div>      
<div style='width: 75px; float: left;'>
<a href='http://www.google.com/chrome?hl=ja' target='_blank'><img src='http://visionsecurity.jp/ChromeRed.gif' style='border: none;' alt='Google Chromeのダウンロード...'/></a></div>      
<div style='width: 280px; height: 76px; float: left; font-family: Meiryo, MS PGothic, Sans-serif;'>        
<div style='font-size: 14px; margin-top: 13px; line-height: 16px; color: red;'>このページはエクスプローラ6版または7版に対応してないため、IE8版以上またはFirefoxやChromeはおすすめです。</div></div>
<div style='width: 130px; float: left; margin-left:20px;'>
<a href='http://www.microsoft.com/japan/msbc/Express/sbc/windows-7/migration/default.aspx' target='_blank'><img src='http://visionsecurity.jp/XPwarning.gif' style='border: none;' alt='XPサポート終了について...'/></a></div></div></div><![endif]-->

You can see the code in Action on this page in my website:

http://kiramek.com/japanese/new.html

You’ll of course need to use IE7 (or IE9/10 set to IE7 compatibility mode) to see the problem.

–James Wages


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

OK, Thanks, but may give that a miss.

Walter, any reason the action cannot be made to include the IE 7 warning?

thx

John


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I try not to do too many things in one Action. I have a GetFirefox Action that detects all versions of IE and posts a colorful warning. I also haven’t concerned myself with IE7 in a number of years, I am letting it die where it lays. This is the last year that I do anything proactive for IE8, too. Microsoft is abandoning XP next month, and with that goes any reason to support IE < 9.

Walter

On Feb 21, 2013, at 4:39 AM, ejw wrote:

OK, Thanks, but may give that a miss.

Walter, any reason the action cannot be made to include the IE 7 warning?

thx

John


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Fair enough, totally understand


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Next year, actually:

Also, XP use varies by country. The Japanese a very stubborn when it comes to using old software, and it makes life he’ll for those of us who design websites here.

For what it’s worth, SoftPress added a special IE8 page compatibility mode in FW6. That doesn’t help Carousel, but it does say that SoftPress expects people to stubbornly use that old browser for at least another couple years.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Or, it means they are more stubborn than the Japanese at letting go of outdated and irrelevant computer technology.


Ernie Simpson

On Feb 21, 2013, at 9:02 AM, “JDW” email@hidden wrote:

Next year, actually:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/endofsupport.aspx

Also, XP use varies by country. The Japanese a very stubborn when it comes to using old software, and it makes life he’ll for those of us who design websites here.

For what it’s worth, SoftPress added a special IE8 page compatibility mode in FW6. That doesn’t help Carousel, but it does say that SoftPress expects people to stubbornly use that old browser for at least another couple years.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

The issue here would have to do with the way that Carousel 2 does the infinite scroll. That’s on my list of things to look at. It’s extraordinary complex to solve, though. My current thought is that the moment that the carousel ends its scroll to the last element on the list, the last element needs to be temporarily shuffled to the beginning of the list, and simultaneously the slider needs to be reset to 0,0. After the scroll to the next element completes, it needs to be sent back to the end, and simultaneously the slider needs to be reset back the appropriate number of pixels to account for that shuffling (either 1x pane width or 1x pane height, depending on the animation orientation). That’s a lot to take care of at once, and compared with simply duplicating the first element to the end of the list and leaving it there when the page loads, adds complexity to what the browser is asked to do on each cycle of the effect.

Walter

On Feb 21, 2013, at 4:06 AM, JDW wrote:

Even if Carousel2 cannot work in IE7, it would be best if that graphic didn’t get duplicated and popped over existing content (especially since it doesn’t do that with Carousel1), but I guess it can’t be helped.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

XP is like Rasputin. Microsoft have tried to kill it for ten years!

Walter

On Feb 21, 2013, at 9:02 AM, JDW wrote:

Next year, actually:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/endofsupport.aspx

Also, XP use varies by country. The Japanese a very stubborn when it comes to using old software, and it makes life he’ll for those of us who design websites here.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 21 Feb 2013, 8:07 am, JDW wrote:

I must concur with Walter about putting the panes in the pasteboard ABOVE the page. I used to put them on the left side, but on slow computers they flash on for about 200ms and then vanish. Putting them above the page ensure you never see them no matter what.

But, placing them above the page is only for Carousel 2, correct?

The reason I ask is I have one web page that includes 5 Carousel panes, so if I place them ALL above the site page I’m going to have to increase my pasteboard significantly.

Also, if I don’t have enough space ABOVE the page, where is the second place you would place the extra Carousel panes (left, right, below)?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Yes, only for C2. And no other spot on the page would work as well – all may be visible, depending on the amount of browser window the visitor has.

Walter

On Feb 21, 2013, at 2:23 PM, RavenManiac wrote:

On 21 Feb 2013, 8:07 am, JDW wrote:

I must concur with Walter about putting the panes in the pasteboard ABOVE the page. I used to put them on the left side, but on slow computers they flash on for about 200ms and then vanish. Putting them above the page ensure you never see them no matter what.

But, placing them above the page is only for Carousel 2, correct?

The reason I ask is I have one web page that includes 5 Carousel panes, so if I place them ALL above the site page I’m going to have to increase my pasteboard significantly.

Also, if I don’t have enough space ABOVE the page, where is the second place you would place the extra Carousel panes (left, right, below)?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 21 Feb 2013, 6:41 pm, waltd wrote:

Yes, only for C2. And no other spot on the page would work as well – all may be visible, depending on the amount of browser window the visitor has.

Walter

Walter, why would the position of the Carousel 1 Panes affect the page height, if they’re suppose to be invisible? For some reason that happened with one of my pages. I basically had the panes scattered around the document, but not in any particular order.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

That’s an acknowledged bug in Freeway 6. If you’re seeing it in 5.5, I’d be surprised.

Walter

On Feb 21, 2013, at 3:30 PM, RavenManiac wrote:

On 21 Feb 2013, 6:41 pm, waltd wrote:

Yes, only for C2. And no other spot on the page would work as well – all may be visible, depending on the amount of browser window the visitor has.

Walter

Walter, why would the position of the Carousel 1 Panes affect the page height, if they’re suppose to be invisible? For some reason that happened with one of my pages. I basically had the panes scattered around the document, but not in any particular order.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 21 Feb 2013, 7:43 pm, waltd wrote:

That’s an acknowledged bug in Freeway 6. If you’re seeing it in 5.5, I’d be surprised.

Walter

No, I’m using 6. I wonder if this was addressed with the latest update? Guess I’ll find out. :slight_smile:


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Walter, if you define “infinite scroll” as the “Wrap around” checkbox in Carousel2 (Actions palette), then I would like to say for the record that such is NOT the root of the problem. The problem still occurs even with “Wrap around” unticked.

You can see a screen shot here, which looks the same in IE7 with or without “Wrap around ticked”:

(And for those of you who wanted to know my IE7 Warning code, you can see that displayed atop the screen in my screen shot too.)

–James W.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

That’s just wacky! No wonder MS are trying to kill this browser. Is that the location on the layout of the pane in question, or is that the first pane? There’s just no reason for this to be where it is, no reason at all, unless that was where it sat in Freeway.

Walter

On Feb 21, 2013, at 7:10 PM, JDW wrote:

Walter, if you define “infinite scroll” as the “Wrap around” checkbox in Carousel2 (Actions palette), then I would like to say for the record that such is NOT the root of the problem. The problem still occurs even with “Wrap around” unticked.

You can see a screen shot here, which looks the same in IE7 with or without “Wrap around ticked”:

http://www.kiramek.com/21test95/Carousel2_IE7problem.png

(And for those of you who wanted to know my IE7 Warning code, you can see that displayed atop the screen in my screen shot too.)

–James W.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options