[Pro] Won't generate XHTML

I set the “Document Setup → Output” in my Freeway Pro document to “XHTML Strict.”

However, it generates pages that start like this:

Abdominal Circumference<!--

A previous document that I set the same way generates this:

Abdominal Circumference<!--

And my indexing app that I wrote, which uses NSXMLParser, chokes on the equal sign in “<meta http-equiv=Content…” in this file - it does not choke on the XHTML document done properly.

So I need this document to be output in XHTML strict. Yet it won’t do it.

Is there some preference file I need to delete or alter in order to make FWP generate XHTML-strict?

Anyone who can help, I’d really appreciate it.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hi Johnny,
It sounds like you’ve manually set the HTML page output level in the
third tab of the inspector palette to HTML 4 transitional. generally
this is set from the setting you changed in the document setup dialog
but if manually updated it will stick to the setting chosen. This is
so you can mix and match your page HTML levels throughout your site if
you wished.
I’m intrigued by your indexing application. Can you tell us more?
Thanks,
Tim.

On 15 Nov 2009, at 20:10, Johnnylundy wrote:

I set the “Document Setup → Output” in my Freeway Pro document to
“XHTML Strict.”

However, it generates pages that start like this:

Abdominal Circumference<!--

A previous document that I set the same way generates this:

Abdominal Circumference<!--

And my indexing app that I wrote, which uses NSXMLParser, chokes on
the equal sign in “<meta http-equiv=Content…” in this file - it
does not choke on the XHTML document done properly.

So I need this document to be output in XHTML strict. Yet it won’t
do it.

Is there some preference file I need to delete or alter in order to
make FWP generate XHTML-strict?

Anyone who can help, I’d really appreciate it.

FreewayActions.com - Freeware and shareware actions for Freeway
Express & Pro.

Protect your mailto links from being harvested by spambots with Anti
Spam.
Only available at FreewayActions.com

http://www.freewayactions.com


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hi Tim, no I did not manually set them that way, but there were 32 pages that I used the “get HTML” function to get from my previous document. Those were supposed to be XHTML also but somehow wound up as 4.1.

Then I selected all of them and chose the XHTML option, and what it did was put TWO items on each page, one whose title had some capital letters and another one with lowercase. One was behind the other and would only show up if I deleted the frontmost one.

So now I am deleting them both from each of 32 pages and dragging images back in.

Apparently if you have pages that are 4.01 and you convert them to XHTML, it makes two items that are stuck together.

I think the original problem I had was thinking that choosing a different HTML type in the Preferences box would change all of my pages. It didn’t.

Also, selecting them all and choosing XHTML in the inspector doesn’t work either.

So I’m doing it one by one.

On another note, do you know any way to quickly find a page when you are trying to link to one? When I choose “Hyperlink…” there doesn’t seem to be any way to locate a particular page without scrolling through all 217 of them. No way to sort them either as far as I can tell.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Not a way to sort or search for pages, but if you break your site into
a series of folders, each holding a number of related pages, it is
much quicker to find the page you want and it also seems to help with
entry points for search engines, if properly named.

Colin

On 15 Nov 2009, at 22:31, Johnnylundy wrote:

On another note, do you know any way to quickly find a page when you
are trying to link to one? When I choose “Hyperlink…” there
doesn’t seem to be any way to locate a particular page without
scrolling through all 217 of them. No way to sort them either as far
as I can tell.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Sometime around 15/11/09 (at 17:31 -0500) Johnnylundy said:

there were 32 pages that I used the “get HTML” function to get from
my previous document. Those were supposed to be XHTML also but
somehow wound up as 4.1.

Sounds to me like your import has also imported the page’s doctype
code. That would explain why you see two sets of that stuff in the
output. It is no help to you, but I avoid using that particular
feature. It never seems to work as simply as remaking pages from
scratch using fresh master layouts.

Have you tried looking in Page > HTML Markup to see if the stray code
can be found there?

If it isn’t, I’m sure copying and pasting the stuff on a page to a
brand new one then deleting the original would cure it. Although it
would also mean you’d have to remake your links.

there doesn’t seem to be any way to locate a particular page without
scrolling through all 217 of them. No way to sort them either as far
as I can tell.

Try dragging pages into a new order in the Site panel. That will
change the listing order in the Site panel and in the popup hyperlink
menu found at the bottom of the document window.

Colin’s suggestion about storing your pages in sets of folders within
the Site panel is a good one. In particular, this helps dramatically
when using the document window’s hyperlink popup menu.

k


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Thanks everyone for the assistance.

I made folders and it’s going to help a lot. I could not move the folders away from the bottom of the file list, and they are always expanded in the dialog box, but they’ll be much easier to use.

My indexing app that parses the XHTML now finds no errors and produces 4100 keywords from the 217 XHTML pages output by FWP.

Thanks again.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Sometime around 15/11/09 (at 21:42 -0500) Johnnylundy said:

I could not move the folders away from the bottom of the file list,
and they are always expanded in the dialog box, but they’ll be much
easier to use.

Yep. Ans even though folders are sorted at the end of the list you
can still sort pages within folders.

Also, when making links try using the popup menu from the bottom of
the document window rather than the Edit Hyperlink dialog. Both are
perfectly good ways of doing things, but you might find the
non-dialog way to be a bit more swift in your situation.

k


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I forgot to answer Tim about the indexing app. I couldn’t see any way for FWP to generate me a page of links to serve as a Table of Contents or Index, so I wrote a Cocoa app to do it.

I couldn’t find any existing apps that did this either. What I wanted was, for example, if the user typed in “anemia” in my search box, to return a list of pages (shown by the Title, not the actual URL) in which that word “anemia” appears.

So my indexer loops through all 217 of my pages, making a list of all of the words in all of the pages. It uses an NSXMLParser to get only the content, not the HTML tags.

Next, I remove all “stopwords” like the, an, but, etc. and duplicates.

Then the app starts again, taking each word in the list and generating a list of pages in which the word appears.

On a quad 2.66 Xeon Mac Pro, it takes about 15 seconds to index 217 pages into 4100 keywords.

One thing I discovered was that I had written the app to assume that all of the pages are in a single directory. That’s going to have to be changed if I stay with this folder approach - I did not realize that FWP was going to actually re-organize my actual pages on disk. I thought the “folders” were just for internal FWP display.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Sometime around 16/11/09 (at 11:03 -0500) Johnnylundy said:

I thought the “folders” were just for internal FWP display.

:slight_smile:
The Site panel reflects the actual site structure that you get.
Although obviously it shows titles rather than file names.

k


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Wow, this sounds like a fantastic solution to your problem. Well done.
Thanks for spending the time to explain the process.
Regards,
Tim.

On 16 Nov 2009, at 16:03, Johnnylundy wrote:

I forgot to answer Tim about the indexing app. I couldn’t see any
way for FWP to generate me a page of links to serve as a Table of
Contents or Index, so I wrote a Cocoa app to do it.

I couldn’t find any existing apps that did this either. What I
wanted was, for example, if the user typed in “anemia” in my search
box, to return a list of pages (shown by the Title, not the actual
URL) in which that word “anemia” appears.

So my indexer loops through all 217 of my pages, making a list of
all of the words in all of the pages. It uses an NSXMLParser to get
only the content, not the HTML tags.

Next, I remove all “stopwords” like the, an, but, etc. and duplicates.

Then the app starts again, taking each word in the list and
generating a list of pages in which the word appears.

On a quad 2.66 Xeon Mac Pro, it takes about 15 seconds to index 217
pages into 4100 keywords.

One thing I discovered was that I had written the app to assume that
all of the pages are in a single directory. That’s going to have to
be changed if I stay with this folder approach - I did not realize
that FWP was going to actually re-organize my actual pages on disk.
I thought the “folders” were just for internal FWP display.

FreewayActions.com - Freeware and shareware actions for Freeway
Express & Pro.

Protect your mailto links from being harvested by spambots with Anti
Spam.
Only available at FreewayActions.com

http://www.freewayactions.com


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options