Problems with Adobe Photoshop CS5 in MacOS Mojave

I know this is a bit off-topic but I’m posting in case some people find this useful.

I recently upgraded my MacBook Pro to Mojave and Freeway seems to be working fine. However, Photoshop CS5 started to misbehave: I could open .psd files but every time I tried to edit, Photoshop crashed.

I did a lot of research and most people said “too bad, just upgrade”. Many, including me, are irritated that what was a one-time purchase (and worked fine before Mojave) has changed to a subscription model that costs about $240 per year.

After a lot of gnashing of teeth and research, I finally came upon the solution. Adobe has created an updater to 12.0.5 (AdobePhotoshop12-5-mul-AdobeUpdate copy.dmg) that fixes the problem. You can download it here: https://supportdownloads.adobe.com/detail.jsp?ftpID=4972

However, installation is not straightforward: the installer crashed for me each time. As a result, you have to open the installer package and look for the “AdobePatchInstaller” file inside the installer package, which you then need to run from terminal. Read this discussion to get detailed instructions on how to do it:

I hope this is helpful. Thanks.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Perhaps this should have gone in the off topic section. I am actually surprised CS5 has worked for you until now, but you can be certain a day will come when there is no workaround and I know some who have already hit a brick wall with CS6. If you are opposed to paying the Adobe subscription fee I keep hearing of satisfied converts to Affinity Photo.

Ashley

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I expect my CS3 install(!) won’t work. I’ll be surprised that it does. I have a couple of old machines with it on where I can fall back if needed.

Right now, I’m finding Affinity Photo and Designer open my old PSD files well, so I can continue with those in most cases.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I have been using Affinity Photo along side my Adobe Photoshop (creative suite 4/OS Sierra) to judge its worth as a replacement to PS. It is a fantastic piece of kit for the money, there are some missing bits like not being able to input MetaData, but overall it very good and I am sure it will get even better. I have also trialled Affinity Designer against Adobe Illustrator with the same impressive results and look forward to buying Affinity Publisher when it is released. I have used most of the Adobe creative software since 1990 (even taught training sessions for it) but their greedy price structure has proved too much for a freelancer. So with Mac OS moving to 64bit with Mohave the choice has been made for me.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I purchased copies of Affinity Designer and then Affinity Photo and am now testing Affinity Publisher. I like a lot of what I see in these apps, and I offer the developer feedback in their forum. I would strongly suggest that any Adobe user buy Affinity Photo at the very least and give it a try and then provide detailed advice for the developer in their forum so they can improve the app. They probably won’t ever make it to be a Photoshop clone, but there are some things that Photoshop does a bit better and it’s important Affinity app users let the developer know those differences and why Affinity apps should be improved accordingly. I’m confident there will come a day when Affinity apps can be the preferred alternative to Adobe. That time has already come for many.

–James W.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I also use Affinity Photo and have dropped Adobe completely. It may not , yet, exactly match Photoshop but for £48 it is really good and developing. Would never go back now!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

My old graphics lecturer who introduced me to Photoshop way back in the early/mid 1990s contacted me about Affinity Photo/Designer yesterday. He’s keen to learn about it - I expect he’ll be buying into this soon.

I actually find Affinity Photo & Designer to be no worse than Photoshop (still on CS3 if anyone cares), and I’ve not really been that attracted to more recent Adobe offerings based on the feature set. So, I’m doing well with the tools they offer. The only thing that Designer doesn’t do that I wish it did was recordable Macros, even though Photo does.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

HMMM, 20% off right now.

Frank Harshbarger
email@hidden

On Dec 20, 2018, at 2:04 AM, David King via freewaytalk email@hidden wrote:

Affinity Photo

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options