Problems with Version 0.2b2 (0203)

Hi Jeremy,
I’ve been playing around with the new version (0.2b2 [0203]) and am running into some issues. I’m wondering if it’s something I’m doing wrong or bugs, so I wanted to bring them to your attention.

The Xway file is here: https://www.blue-iceberg.com/xway/Blue%20Iceberg%20X.zip

I tried uploading the file itself but it uploads as a folder, which is why I created a zip file. This seems to be a change from Freeway where it created a self-contained file.

Here are the issues I’m encountering:

1. I uploaded the files using Transmit. The site is here Blue Iceberg | Home but the upload seems to not have worked–some files are missing. No idea why.
  2. This was a file I originally created in the first beta. Now nav links on pages other than index and about us can’t be edited. The link box doesn’t appear when I select the text I had applied the link to, and I can’t create links.
  3. As a corollary to 2, if I select text in the nav box (“navigation”), the link panel in the inspector doesn’t appear and I can’t set a link from the text menu (link is grayed out).
  4. In navigation on the about us page, the Home link is underlined even thought I don’t have underline selected in text decoration.
  5. Odd text styling issues. For example, on the What We Do page, in the item1 box (body text), the text is currently white (I had a background image before which I deleted). When I go into the item 1 box, select all, and set the text color to gray a, all the body text changes to gray except the title (About Us) which remains white. When I select the title text it shows as gray in the inspector but displays as white.

I hope this is helpful as you squash bugs and build more functionality. Let me know if you have questions.

Thanks.

Hi Richard,

Xway documents are packages (similar to folders) rather than flat files. That is different from Freeway.

1. You need Transmit to upload all of the files that are contained within Xway’s Site folder. I’m not sure why it hasn’t done this.

2. Taking the “navigation” box on the “What we do” page as an example, you have applied a single link to the entire section of text: "Home | About Us | What We Do | Contact Us”. One way to see this it to put a text cursor in this text and choose “Select Parent” from the Edit menu: Xway will select the entire text and switch to the Link Inspector, showing the link that is applied to this section of text. HTML doesn’t allow you to nest links, so you can’t apply a separate link to part of this text.

What you want to do in this case is put the cursor in this text and choose “Remove Links” from the Text menu. Once you have done this, you can select individual words and phrases (“Home”, “About Us” etc.) and apply links to them.

If you want to change a link, you don’t need to select the entire span of text to which a link has been applied. All you need to do is to put the text cursor somewhere in the text. This is different from Freeway, and it applies to text styling generally: you don’t have to carefully select the exact range of text to which a link or styling has been applied (you can also do that if you wish, but it’s more difficult and error-prone, so Xway gives you an easier alternative).

1. On the About Us page, you have created a span for “Home”, and turned underlining off for this span, but links are still underlined because you haven’t changed the way that links are styled (it’s hard to see the link in Xway because you have set the text colour to white, but if you give the box a background colour you can see that there is a white underline).

What I would do in this case is to remove all the styling that has been applied to the text (“Home | About Us | What We Do | Contact Us”). You can do this by selecting it and choosing Flatten from the Text menu. I would also remove styling that has been applied to individual links: place the cursor within each link and select “Inherit style” in the Text section of the Link Inspector.

The next thing to do is to go to the Document Inspector, where you have set up a basic link style that should apply to each page. Open the Default Styles section and select “Link” from the Element popup. This is where you have set the link colour to be White. If you don’t want links to be underlined, you can turn off underlining here. When you have done this, you also need to select “Visited Link” from the same popup and set up the style you want to be used for visited links (otherwise links will appear to be underlined in a browser if you have already visited the page to which the links refer).

1. There isn’t any text in the “item1” box in the document that you sent me, so I’m not sure what is happening here.

Jeremy

On 20 Jun 2020, at 16:25, Richard Cacciato email@hidden wrote:

Hi Jeremy,
I’ve been playing around with the new version (0.2b2 [0203]) and am running into some issues. I’m wondering if it’s something I’m doing wrong or bugs, so I wanted to bring them to your attention.

The Xway file is here: https://www.blue-iceberg.com/xway/Blue%20Iceberg%20X.zip

I tried uploading the file itself but it uploads as a folder, which is why I created a zip file. This seems to be a change from Freeway where it created a self-contained file.

Here are the issues I’m encountering:

1. I uploaded the files using Transmit. The site is here https://www.blue-iceberg.com/xway/index.html but the upload seems to not have worked–some files are missing. No idea why.
  2. This was a file I originally created in the first beta. Now nav links on pages other than index and about us can’t be edited. The link box doesn’t appear when I select the text I had applied the link to, and I can’t create links.
  3. As a corollary to 2, if I select text in the nav box (“navigation”), the link panel in the inspector doesn’t appear and I can’t set a link from the text menu (link is grayed out).
  4. In navigation on the about us page, the Home link is underlined even thought I don’t have underline selected in text decoration.
  5. Odd text styling issues. For example, on the What We Do page, in the item1 box (body text), the text is currently white (I had a background image before which I deleted). When I go into the item 1 box, select all, and set the text color to gray a, all the body text changes to gray except the title (About Us) which remains white. When I select the title text it shows as gray in the inspector but displays as white.

I hope this is helpful as you squash bugs and build more functionality. Let me know if you have questions.

Thanks.

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 04:25 PM, Richard Cacciato wrote:

1. I uploaded the files using Transmit. The site is here https://www.blue-iceberg.com/xway/index.html but the upload seems to not have worked–some files are missing. No idea why.

Hi Richard – it looks to me as though the “resources” folder (note the lower-case ‘r’, unlike Freeway’s “Resources” folder name) hasn’t been uploaded, or if it has it’s not where the HTML code thinks it is. The easiest way to get to the Xway document’s generated HTML etc. is to choose File > Show Site Folder, which takes you to the site folder that’s ‘hidden’ inside the Xway document package, and then to upload everything you see in there. Transmit is an excellent choice of FTP client (in my opinion the best), so carry on with that. :slight_smile:

Rather than continue working on my first efforts I ended up remaking my site from scratch in b2 when that became available. This was mostly because I’d learned things NOT to do and it made more sense to start the whole thing properly, but it may also help avoid oddities.

k