Project assistance little by little can go a long way

I thank you. But I still find all the different text settings somewhat confusing. I guess I will get there some time.

Getting there. Although I would hope for some help or suggestions how to implement the connections to the social media from the icons and back, here Instagram and Linkedin.

And Jeremy, I have very much appreciated your help with this little project.

example/link8: 7SeasCharter

Jon

PS. Could the old contact form from Freeeway Action be used in one way or another? Or another solution? It’s such a drag using Jotform with all its ugly features and self promotion.

Hi Jon,

Social media icons: I think you just need to add links that go to your social media pages (select an image and choose Link from the Format menu).

Contact forms: this is something we need to find a good solution for. There are problems with the Freeway Action (we need to update it so it works with new versions of PHP) but if it’s working for you, then perhaps one solution would be to create (and publish/upload) a form in Freeway and embed it within an iframe on an Xway page?

Sending mail is is more complex these days than just getting it to work on any random shared hosting. It’s increasingly important to have a strategy for authenticating and authorizing your server, so that your messages actually get delivered to people who use Gmail or Yahoo Mail or whatever. Those systems are under so much load that they put their barrier to entry quite high (and yet still let in tons of spam).

It makes the old PHP

mail(to, subject, body, headers, from_address);

that PHP Feedback Form and Send Form used completely irrelevant, unless you also own (in the sysadmin meaning of the word) the server that it’s running on, and devote a considerable amount of time (daily) to ensuring that host is not on any of the many real-time ban lists out there.

Don’t get me wrong: you can still use that PHP above to send mail. It will actually compose and send the message out of your server. But the message will have a strong chance of not going much further, and ending up in a pile on the floor with all the botnet spam from compromised dishwashers etc.

I’ve posted here before about a number of different services that exist to service the “static site” crowd with form->mail handlers. There’s got to be one that is better than JotForm – more “white label” – even if you have to pay for it. (edit: found the message) Form Handler as a Service

(I even toyed with building one of these a zillion years ago, dubbed FreeForm, that was going to stash all the resulting form submissions in a database, so you could look up the contacts there and not rely on the vagaries of mail delivery. My lawyer though that might be a great way for her to make a lot of money, but that it would be a poor business choice on my part.)

Walter

1 Like

Ok, got it. This website is so small and will not have that much traffic so I’ll look into your suggestion for other form handlers. Thank you for your extensive answer.

Jon

I think I am where I should be, so no more ‘test…’-appendixes. This is it, but nothing is static so I am open for any suggestions or critics:

https://7seascharter.net

Let me know if you think it is a good idea to keep all the test pages up and running. I thought it might be quite educational for new Xway users to see progress in real time.

Many thanks to the contributors/helpers.

Jon

PS. The contact form needs to change, but I’m a little bewildered into what, spam and implementing and all that.

That everything was good was too good to be true I suppose. The finished version isn’t flexible. It doesn’t shrink with smaller sizes (bar one page, ‘Travels’. What has gone wrong?

Solved. For reasons unknown the page-wrapper width had been set to 960px, not undefined.
Peace has been restored.