Pulse 4 with Freeway site question

Can you guys have a look at igmack.co.uk/testcms. You will see 2 rows of 3 boxes. The simple test site was built in Backdraft/Freeway and incorporates Tim Plumb’s Pulse page action. The bottom row comes from the template, and the top one from Pulse.

Can anyone advise how do I create a gap between the 2 rows of boxes as Pulse seems to ignore whatever I code into Freeway in terms of margins, etc.?

Thanks, in advance.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

One of the problems doing it this way is that you now have 3 pairs of duplicate IDs on that page - not good.

You should also wrap the top 3 in a wrapper div that you can style to give you something you can add margin-bottom to.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I strongly advise sorting your ID issue and adding the wrapper but meantime just to create a margin you could use

.three {
    margin-bottom: 20px;
}

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks a lot, Dave.

Your suggestion about the wrapper worked.

However, your comment about IDs has demonstrated my complete lack of understanding about how the whole Pulse thing works. If I change the ID of one of the blocks, the formatting disappears and everything is messed up.

If I delete the 2nd row of 3 boxes from the template, the structure falls apart again.

In order to achieve this stage, i.e. replicating the row of 3 boxes in Pulse, I did the following:

1. install Pulse and change config file path to point to /testcms

2. in Freeway, apply Pulse page action and insert a Pulse content action with width 100% and flexible height

3. upload to template folder

4. create home-left, home-middle and home-right blocks

5. get code from Freeway page for each of the left, middle and right boxes by copying from the browser page after doing a Preview of layout.php

6. paste the code into the relevant Pulse blocks

7. no images showing up as the generated paths didn’t work, so

8. Replace - src=“<?php echo $path; ?>/template/Resources/placeholder-threeLeft.jpg” with src=“/testcms/template/Resources/placeholder-threeLeft.jpg”

9. create a home page in Pulse and insert the code for the 3 blocks

What is fundamentally wrong with this and missing from my understanding?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

1. get code from Freeway page for each of the left, middle and right boxes by copying from the browser page after doing a Preview of layout.php

OK - but doing this you are copying the existing code which includes IDs etc. - and as FW uses styling based upon IDs and classes you can end up with duplicate items trying to occupy the same space and styles.

At the very least you should give the the duplicate items unique IDs - or use the Anonymous action?

But my depth of knowledge on Pulse and BD doesn’t stretch to your Frankensteinisation (yes I know that isn’t a real word!)

I think you should concentrate on getting the classes correct.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thanks again, David.

You say ‘Frankensteinisation’ - seems like a good word to me! - but I can’t see how else to get this working.

In the example we are looking at. Once I have copied the code into the Pulse block (and created the undesirable duplicates), if I go back into the FW site and delete the non-Pulse content row - leaving just the Pulse content block with the copied code - then all the styles disappear as FW uses IDs etc. which no longer exist.

So, then the Pulse template is screwed.

I know I’m moaning a lot, but never have I come across anything as frustrating as trying to get Pulse working with a Freeway site. It should be a simple system for non-coders, but I can’t see it so far.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

t should be a simple system for non-coders, but I can’t see it so far.

But you aren’t trying to build a simple site! Incorporating a CMS is not beginner level stuff and to do it within an externally created responsive framework makes it worse.

Have you looked into Tim’s work with Pulse Support, Resources and Help for Pulse - that might be the way to go?

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks again, David.

I would say that trying to get a row of 3 boxes to work in Pulse SHOULD be a simple task, but I guess I must be wrong.

I haven’t seen that page before, but I’m guessing it is basically what Tim has done with the Freeway Pulse action which has page and content aspects. Again, I might be wrong there.

I am using Tim’s action, but the basic issues still remain.

This has nothing to do with Backdraft. I only used that as a convenience. Look at igmack.co.uk/pulse4test that is a simple 3 box inline Freeway page with a Pulse content row below. The issues we have been discussing still apply.

I just don’t know where to go with this.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I haven’t seen that page before, but I’m guessing it is basically what Tim has done with the Freeway Pulse action - haven’t used Tim’s action so I cant comment.

This is the link to the full page email from Pulse - http://email.yuzoolmail.com/t/ViewEmail/r/FC3D98A232127D172540EF23F30FEDED/DC26A0F30D381B47DDA3541AF197FE1F

I am out of the loop as far as Pulse’s more recent versions go but if you can expand on what your ultimate goal is then I am sure others will chime in.

At the moment we can only guess as to where you are trying to get to and how big a part Pulse has to play and even if Pulse is the right way to do it?

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks again , David.

I got that email from Michael a day or so ago, but hadn’t looked at the Theme-o-matic thing.

What am I trying to do?

In the short term, I am trying to get Pulse 4 working with a Freeway generated site. So, for example the one I mentioned, i.e. http://igmack.co.uk/pulse4test. There, I just want to be left with the row of Pulse content and lose the ‘hard coded’ row from Freeway. This will allow editing of the 3 boxes in Pulse. I can achieve this in Pulse 3, but I feel the support for that may disappear, and I wanted to make it work in the latest v4. I’m struggling big time with how to achieve that without getting into actually coding the blocks., When I do manage this, I will be able to apply the knowledge to real time situations and sites.

The bigger picture is - and this is why I am trying to make Pulse 4 work for me - that I have 2 multiple page sites, that my clients want the ability to edit the content of one or two of the pages to amend items they have up for sale.

As ever, any help appreciated!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

David? Anyone?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden