redirect homepage to a new site

Hi,

I need to redirect people from an old site to a new site when they land on the home page of the old site.

how would i go about that?

thanks in advance

Cheers

Peter

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

301 Redirect

Google it as it needs to be done server side for best effect.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

thanks will do, cheers

Peter

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

There is a redirect option in the Freeway menu. Otherwise you’ll have to
change the DNS-settings at webserver side.

Op zaterdag 14 november 2015 heeft Peter email@hidden het
volgende geschreven:

thanks will do, cheers

Peter

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden <javascript:;>
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Otherwise you’ll have to change the DNS-settings at webserver side.

Just hold on a minute.

I think that we need clarification about exactly what he means by “redirect homepage to a new site”

If existingsite.com/index.html is to be redirected to newsite.com/index.html then a 301 Redirect (on existingsite.com’s server) is the way to go.

Similarly if existingsite.com/index.html is to be redirected to existingsite.com/newsitefolder/index.html again use a 301 to preserve any SEO juice you have acquired.

If your scenario is different from this then tell us what it is.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thanks guys.

I want to redirect visitors from two old sites to a new sites.

So when they click on the link of the old sites it will take them to the new sites.

I would like to preserve the SEO from both of the old sites to add to the new site.

Hope this is a better explantion of what I’m trying to achieve.

Cheers

Peter

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Then you will need to set up a 301 Redirect from both the old servers to the new sites.

The following is the code for an htaccess redirect. The code should be included in the .htaccess file on the old domain(server)

Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule (.*) http://www.newdomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

You will need to FTP into the old server to find (or create) the .htaccess file which should be at the root of the server (if there is one there already)

You may have to enable the option “Show Invisible Files” within your FTP software as often it will be set to not show files that begin with a leading full stop such as .htaccess

Once you have found the .htaccess file open it with a plain text editor such as TextWrangler and add the code from above.

If their isn’t one there already then create a plain text file called htaccess with the code from above and upload it to the root of your server. Once it is uploaded then change the file name to include the leading full stop so that it becomes .htaccess.

If you try and create the file on youtr mac with a leading full stop it will disappear as they are hidden by default.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden