Remove 1 pix gap below inline object

I have a column of markup objects in an inline layout with a i pixel gap beneath each object. I’ve tried setting a negative bottom margin but this doesn’t work

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Do you see that gap in Freeway, or on the Web? If the latter, could you post a link showing the problem?

Walter

On Nov 20, 2015, at 4:30 PM, Trey Yancy email@hidden wrote:

I have a column of markup objects in an inline layout with a i pixel gap beneath each object. I’ve tried setting a negative bottom margin but this doesn’t work

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Here’s an example: http://lubbock.lightbenders.com – the first page of a prototype for a series of sites for different dealers around the country).

This is composed of a series of markup objects created in HTML5. You can see the gap at the top of each section (just above each large photo). With each section I have assigned a negative top margin, but it does not make a difference.

I can conceal the gap by using a dark blue background, but I’d rather find a proper solution.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Use the crowbar action to be found on the forge rather than Freeway’s markup-item. The reason for this is that markup-items are wrapped by a paragraph. Remove then the negative margin.

Alternative, there is also a remove paragraph action (however I’m not sure if it is on the forge too)

And if you talk about HTML5:

Check your doctype set in Freeway.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

As these are HTML5 elements placed within a HTML document, do I need to change the declaration?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Basically, you’re free to do everything you want. Doctype declaration simply tells a browser:

“Render HTML”

My definition is, that you placed “items” within HTML, not HTML within HTML. Those items do have HTML5 attributes applied so you do good to declare the doctype as HTML5.

This page typically shows, that most modern browsers doing an excellent job - it even displays the biggest woes (validation is not part of functionality).

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Freeway does some truly stupid crap with regard to Markup Items that I don’t have any good advice on how to overcome.

###Paragraph much?

When you insert a DIV object (an HTML object) into your Freeway page, Freeway automatically fills it with a paragraph tag <p> even when you put no text into it. In fact, specifically because you put no text into it. So you are left with an empty paragraph <p></p> tag pair that the browser tries to make sense of-- and usually fails. Since paragraph elements (empty or not) still have font-size, line-height and margin characteristics, they tend to take up some vertical space. There are some heavy-handed methods for countering this, not the least of which is the Remove Paragraph action which does just that.

###Span abominations

When you insert a Markup Item in Freeway, specifically as an inline or inflow item, Freeway wants to wrap it in a span tag. Span tags highlight a portion of code, usually to identify it for a style. The span will retain the ID you’ve given the markup item in the Workspace, though not a class.

The problem with this unintended markup on top of your already intended markup is that it produces validation nightmares and more malformed code for your user’s browser to wade through. For example, any div elements in your markup become de-facto children of the enclosing span…

<p class="f-fp"><span id="freeway-generated-unnecessary-code">
  <div id="markup-code">
    contents…

Fortunately, browsers are very forgiving-- which is still no excuse for serving them bad code. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to fix this, the program itself must be corrected. Good luck with that.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

###Paragraph much?

When you insert a DIV object (an HTML object) into your Freeway page, Freeway automatically fills it with a paragraph tag `` even when you put no text into it.

I do hard to believe this, at least I’m not really able to wrap a singular DIV in a p-Tag per se. What makes me wondering is that you never have any reason for a statement without (bullet) proof. Could you share a bit more detail in this with me?

Whatever this specifically talk is about:

I can’t believe as well, that Mark-Up has been created for construction purposes. Cause if you need Mark-Up for constructions purposes (wrapping DIVs, sections …), the use of a WYSIWYG application is pretty useless if not to say ridiculous. And this page is ridiculous.

Just to add a bit of background to this specific task:

https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/thread/view/163580#m_163580

https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/thread/view/162944#m_162944

to name two of the (pretty critical) talks. I’ve already commented most of them. I need to learn leaving emotions out, but disappointment is an emotion, too. I can’t believe how people sometimes create their reality. How they come to such statements. And finally it’s us, to swallow the dust. To “correct” or “advice” cause we’re the most polite and helpful audience in the world?

And here, we talk about Hype created content. A helpless mess from line 5, ending by the very last. A mixture of evil and good. If I’ve never got in touch with Freeway, reading just this talk, I’d call this application and its audience a well meant joke.

But as said - I should leave emotions out, concentrating on much more interesting things. Things achieved with Freeway.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Well, it seems that I need to walk back everything I just said.

I made an example in Freeway 7, and the empty div was completely empty. Granted, when I inserted a Markup Item into it Freeway then wrapped it with paragraph <p> tags… but no offensive span.

So, thinking that perhaps this was something fixed recently, I opened v6 and made the same example-- only to get the same results.

If Freeway ever behaved as I described, then it must have been an earlier version than 6… While I feel awkward at appearing to be doddering, clearly I was mistaken to vilify Freeway for behavior it no longer exhibits. This is on me, my deepest apologies, I hope the record has now been corrected.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden