Responsive design general starting question

I thought I had put as separate post. So anyway here it is again.

Responsive question. Getting started to make the transition to responsive with Freeway. Been using all the previous version for years. Am I better off practicing with a FW template or downloading something like Backdraft? Thanks John

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

What is your comfort level?

Would you prefer the hand-holding that Backdraft and/or a Template would give you? If so then either offer a reasonable starting point.

If you want to break the mould a bit then that is probably easier in a straightforward FW site.

But really it boils down to whether you have any experience building inline layouts. If none then either BD or a Template are good starting points. Substitution of text/images will get you a long way down the road.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Disclaimer: I’m biased. :slight_smile:

It really depends on what your needs are. If you need to get a nice-looking responsive website up very quickly, or don’t consider yourself a “designer”, Softpress’ templates are the bees knees. They are pretty and ready to populate with content right out of the box.

Backdraft, on the other hand, is a framework, not a template. You’ll have to build the page layouts yourself and spend some time styling it before it looks even relatively nice. However, these same traits also mean that it’s also far more flexible and is much easier to customize than a traditional template. In a lot of ways, it’s the middle ground between a fully styled and layed-out template, and a fully custom inflow layout.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’m a fan of deconstructing templates as learning tools, but never just copy/paste/replace. It’s potentially a bit of a chore to get one’s conceptual approach to change from old style FW design to responsive/inline design. There is value in seeing a working example to tweak and use trial and error experimentation. I’ve learned some nice tricks by observing things done in some templates, and translated those ideas into my own sites.

I can’t speak to Backdraft as I’ve never used it for a site design, though in some ways it may be the easier approach as you don’t have to “undo” the layout and styling and other design elements that are built into the FW responsive templates. It’s certainly more of a “clean slate”.

The templates are all on Black Friday sale right now (or soon) for super cheap. Some are worth taking a look IMHO for those wanting to learn how responsive design is done in FW.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks All. Sounds like I just need to step in and start doing it.
John

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Just a note on Backdraft. Most of the frames supplied are great and work straight out of the box. But I really struggle with the logo/menu frames - they are very limited and I can’t seem to work out how to manipulate them to what I want to achieve

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Ill throw my 2 cents in here too… I started with Backdraft before FW7 was a reality, and I learned so much from Caleb’s amazing work and if it were not for his Backdraft, I would have not been able to comprehend inline and responsive framework. I learned how to design responsively because of Caleb

I love FW7 but I love Backdraft too…

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I fully endorse the post by Carla, i am a novice at this but over the last few years since i had to find an alternative to Apple’s iWeb i have found this forum very helpful and the contributors extremely patient at times.

But i must say when i made the decision to get to grips with responsive design i found the challenge of working with FWP rather daunting and this was before FW 7. However, when Backdraft became available i realised that my limited experience and knowledge was not a barrier to getting started, so i became a Backdraft convert.

And i must say that i have benefited from the Backdraft experience in that i now feel more confident in working with FWP 7.1.1. but i am learning all the time… at my vintage things sometimes take a little longer to percolate through the grey matter but i get it in the end.

Thanks to everyone on the forum and Caleb for BD.

John

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Just take a look at this: http://www.valveco.com/newsletter/articles/satisfying-customer-needs-by-iso.html (and some other articles). Completely done within Freeway, nothing fancy. But yes … it took some time and effort to learn working with an inline layout, but I started doing that around FW5.5/6.

Richard

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden