Scrutinizing SPARKLE (Freeway alternative)

Hi Duncan,

Thanks much for your replies!!! I do have the free version and I do know there is no time limit on it, which is why I have the free version and not the trial.

Questions:

It doesn’t seem possible to change the page width to 1200 in the free version, tho I might not have realized how yet. And, I’m not sure I understand the explanation about page widths. Are you saying whether I create a page at 960 or 1200, the browser will handle it’s view? When I preview the page created at 960 it is a tiny thing! Whereas my FW sites that were made with a 900 something size look quite large in the browsers. I would prefer to have a larger presence than what I’m seeing at preview.

Fonts: I’ve read through the Fonts and Text documentation. I’ve attempted to load a webfont and there wasn’t any indication that it actually loaded. The area on the Font Panel for custom webfonts didn’t show the font after I selected in on my HD & clicked “open”. However, when I preview the page in my browsers that font looks fine, whereas others I don’t have webfonts for change in Firefox. Is that the only way to tell if it’s loaded?

The Active mark next to the font name doesn’t mean it’s OK for web, just “active” on the layout, correct? I surmise this because it’s showing one of the fonts I use as active but it’s the one that changes in Firefox.

Looking at the Font Panel, how do we know if a font is sourced from Google’s webfont index?

Thanks so much for your replies. It’s a different approach than FW, and now I need to read through to understand how Sparkle handles Master Pages or what that becomes in Sparkle.

So far, I think this is pretty cool and a few more days of trying out, will probably result in a purchase. From a designer’s point of view, you’ve thought of many things to address, make easy, make familiar as to our usual tools of the trade, and I very much appreciate that!

I know many folks here like to code, yet I am not one. I paid my dues ages ago as a Software Engineer until I woke up and went back to my first love, Art & Design which I now have been doing for even longer ages… I love being able to focus on the design and not deal with the coding. Too much of a brain shift otherwise. So far, Sparkle is pretty sweet. And hello, your support here is amazing and creates confidence in the product.

Thank you!!!

joette / redfeather

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: