Scrutinizing SPARKLE (Freeway alternative)

Hi All,

I recently needed to get a new site up. I had hoped to move from Freeway Pro to Pinegrow but never managed to find the time to get to grips with Pinegrow before the trial expired. Pinegrow really needs a 30 day trial for non-professionals like me.

For whatever reasons Freeway Pro 7 with Backdraft was not playing nicely with my design for an Ecwid based site.

Duncan had been very helpful when I trialled Sparkle earlier even letting me have a copy of the beta of 2.1 which allowed the Ecwid store to expand vertically. So I thought why not give it a go.

The latest version was Sparkle Pro 2.2.1 and two things were immediately evident:

1. This is a very intuitive app for anyone coming from Freeway.
  2. Forget Sparkle’s automatic scaling across devices (sorry Duncan!)

Once you realise that you will have to manually intervene at every device size life become much easier. As Caleb noted earlier in this thread Sparkle is not truly responsive. But with a little effort you can make make a pretty good pass at it!

Anyway, I managed to create what I wanted in Sparkle (and a few tweaks to its generated code with Brackets - setting height of an image to 100vh and applying text-shadow) pretty quickly. The results, still a work in progress (my real business is growing plants as you’ll see) can be seen here:

thymeplants.co.uk

For a straightforward single page site Sparkle Pro proved to be an excellent replacement for Freeway Pro. I’ll be adding more pages and more detail over the next few weeks, which is why I have purchased the Pro version, but see no reason why there should be problems.

Steve

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: