Single page sites - a no-no?

Hi, I was chatting to someone the other day and they happened to mention that single page sites didn’t do as well on search engines as multiple page sites.

Is this correct? I can’t work out in my head what the difference would be if all of the search info and information is the same (albeit sometimes in accordion boxes).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Only asking, as I’ve just this morning been asked to design a single page site!!

Thanks
Trev

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Hi Trevor,

there is NOTHING speaking against one-page design. It has been trend in 2015 and it will go on in 2016. The thing to consider is using HTML5 semantics, allowing you to specify each part of the page.

Your chat is still in the “deep-linking” room, which is up to my opinion still valid, but not necessarily required anymore. Todays websites are more “storytelling” rather than heavily overloaded by unnecessary (and unrecognized) information spread all over the place.

My two cents (which may fail - who knows?)

Cheers

Thomas

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks for the info Thomas, much appreciated.

"By using HTML5 Semantics, allowing you to specify each part of the page” do you mean that you can specify each page anchor point with it’s own description, as you would a multi-page site, or am I reading your meaning wrong? If so, that’s a new one on me!! Never knew you could do that.

Trev

On 21 Dec 2015, at 10:23, Thomas Kimmich email@hidden wrote:

Hi Trevor,

there is NOTHING speaking against one-page design. It has been trend in 2015 and it will go on in 2016. The thing to consider is using HTML5 semantics, allowing you to specify each part of the page.

Your chat is still in the “deep-linking” room, which is up to my opinion still valid, but not necessarily required anymore. Todays websites are more “storytelling” rather than heavily overloaded by unnecessary (and unrecognized) information spread all over the place.

My two cents (which may fail - who knows?)

Cheers

Thomas

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

No - not with its own description, but you can specify “sections” each with its own H1 headline …

Cheers

Thomas

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

Ahh, okay Thomas, thanks.

Let me take this opportunity to thank you (along with every else on the FW list) that have helped me in the past year, and wish you all a very Merry Christmas (please substitute whatever politically correct phrase you’d like in there - just using mine, so I don’t upset myself!!)

Trev

On 21 Dec 2015, at 10:57, Thomas Kimmich email@hidden wrote:

No - not with its own description, but you can specify “sections” each with its own H1 headline …

Cheers

Thomas

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

…single page sites didn’t do as well on search engines as multiple page sites.

For the record, I think we’re talking about single page to a url sites. Multiples of “single” pages on the same url would produce different results.

I believe that such pages do skew certain ranking metrics, probably making them harder to find… but I also think this is a weakness of the search technology and will eventually be corrected. You and I in the meantime have an obligation to remain honest actors in the delivery of web content, and that means we should not try to game the system’s faults by generating unnecessary or dishonest content.

We should continue providing valuable human-rich content, organized semantically with the appropriate tags, and trust that the system will catch up with us. We can’t and shouldn’t try to make the content seem more valuable than it is, just simply present it clearly as possible and let the world decide its value. I think.

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

Why not ? Depending on your purposes. If you sell the single type of product, you may create a single landing page totally devoted to this. Also, the page should be informative for user, I mean to give comprehensive answers to their needs. but if you have multiple product or services it will be better to create the separate pages for it and follow the competitors.
Also, it depends on the traffic sources you’d like to atrack, if it;s paid traffic you may try the single page, but track the conversions. etc. If you have some questions, I can paint the detailes

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden