Smooth Scroll with Exhibeo 'Thumblie'

When I use the Thumblie Exhibeo theme, Smooth Scroll no longer works on the page. It works fine with other themes. Can anyone suggest a workaround?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Could you post a link to a page that shows this? Also, do you have the Develop menu enabled in Safari? You can learn a lot about these sorts of problems by looking in the Develop / Show JavaScript Console menu option. (To enable the Develop menu, look in the Safari Preferences, under Advanced.)

Without an example, I am only guessing, but there are some themes that use jQuery, and jQuery cannot easily coexist with Prototype.js, which is what SmoothScroll uses for its effects. There are plenty of jQuery-based smooth scroll effects out there, just not packaged in a Freeway Action. If you find one, particularly if you find one hosted on CDNJS or another JavaScript repository, you would be able to add it to your pages using the External JavaScript Action. But you would have to ensure that you don’t use any of the other Prototype-centric effects, even the built-in ones.

Walter

On Mar 2, 2019, at 4:17 AM, grantsymon email@hidden wrote:

When I use the Thumblie Exhibeo theme, Smooth Scroll no longer works on the page. It works fine with other themes. Can anyone suggest a workaround?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hi Walter. Thanks for the reply.

I’ve uploaded a test page. (http://test-1.grantsymon.com/index.html)

The 3 white links on the left are:

•Smooth Scroll with no exhibeo
•Smooth Scroll with Bloxx
•Smooth Scroll with Thumblie

The other links are on the page, where the Smooth Scroll should work.

(You may find that you need to empty the caches between pages, if not the Thumblie page may seem okay).

I do have the Developer menu visible in Safari and it shows an error for Thumblie:

“TypeError: element.dispatchEvent is not a function. (In ‘element.dispatchEvent(event)’, ‘element.dispatchEvent’ is undefined)”

But I’m afraid I’d have no idea what it means. :frowning:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Yup. It looks like Thumblie is bringing in jQuery, and not in a compatible way. I don’t see if there’s a way to invoke jQuery.noConflict() as a wrapper around the code, either, which is the usual way to do this. If you’re dead-set on using that theme, I would have a quick search for a smooth-scroll plugin for jQuery. Then you may be able to remove the Smooth Scroll Action and simply add a line or two of script to the page through the Page / HTML Markup dialog to replicate its effect.

The rule is: use either Prototype + Scriptaculous, or jQuery, but never both. They both can do the same things, and even if you can smooth out their differences using noConflict(), you would still be loading twice as much JavaScript as necessary.

Walter

On Mar 2, 2019, at 4:44 PM, grantsymon email@hidden wrote:

Hi Walter. Thanks for the reply.

I’ve uploaded a test page. (http://test-1.grantsymon.com/index.html)

The 3 white links on the left are:

•Smooth Scroll with no exhibeo
•Smooth Scroll with Bloxx
•Smooth Scroll with Thumblie

The other links are on the page, where the Smooth Scroll should work.

(You may find that you need to empty the caches between pages, if not the Thumblie page may seem okay).

I do have the Developer menu visible in Safari and it shows an error for Thumblie:

“TypeError: element.dispatchEvent is not a function. (In ‘element.dispatchEvent(event)’, ‘element.dispatchEvent’ is undefined)”

But I’m afraid I’d have no idea what it means. :frowning:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thanks Walter.

I’m having a rethink on this, but am struggling with that too! I’ll ask a separate question, as it’s not the same topic.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden