Softpress on Twitter

Just wanted to follow up on my previous post. From the cited article:

“Users are widely opposed to terms that grant Facebook the right to license, copy and disseminate members’ content worldwide. But Facebook says it has to ignore those objections… (Other Web sites have similar stipulations.)”

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I’m on Twitter and I follow about 10 or 15 people/businesses, and I am of
the opinion that it would be a good/additional way for Softpress to make
announcements. As it has been pointed out, you don’t have to follow Twitter
if you don’t want to, but it is a great way to get short/quick notices.
I get the Freeway Talk emails, and I try to read through them every day or
two, but it’s just too much sometimes. I want to read all the posts so that
I can learn, too, or so that I might be able to answer someone (just
kidding, that never happens), but I’m lucky to get through a third of them,
and that includes announcements for new or updated actions. Those kinds of
things are perfect for Twitter. Also, software updates, new sites added to
the gallery, notices of new Freeway articles/reviews, new screencasts
posted. I’m sure I could think of more.

Plus, with MacHeist giving everyone a free version of EventBox this week to
ANYONE (except me, of course, because I’m stupid and bought it a week ago),
it makes it even easier to organize your Twitter comments, setting up smart
lists to filter out the fun stuff from the important stuff. Plus, it has
Growl notifications, so you don’t even have to go into EventBox if you don’t
want to, and still get the notices.

It can’t hurt, and it most definitely could help. I’m all for it.

Robin Stark

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’ve found that Twitter has informed me of news quicker than the news sites do. I tend to have a quick look at the “trends” part of Twitter quite a lot to see what people are talking about.

Trends is basically a listing of the top 10 words currently being mentioned on Twitter. At this very minute we see there is “blackout” and “sydney”. When I look at the tweets involved then I can see that there’s a blackout in Sydney at the moment. OK, that’s not exactly news I’m very interested in, but it gives you an idea of how news filters through Twitter. Apparently the Airbus ditching in the Hudson first got onto the news wires through passengers Tweeting about their predicament.

I think I said before, I think Twitter only really works if you have a mobile device of some description that can use it.

As someone else has said also, you can totally ignore Twitter and not loose anything. However I would like it if Softpress has some kind of Twitter presence.

It should include product announcements, announcements on where you can see Ian or the team on a particular day, and also just comments on news etc, like the new Mac/iphone/ipod/igadget or whatever and even just generic stuff like “It’s a beautiful day today! The engineers are tied to their desks in an attempt to discourage fun in the sun and improve our chances of getting Freeway 6 out!”

In a way I think Twitter is “PR” in its purest sense. It’s not all about promotion, but literally it’s a relationship with the public. Users can follow Softpress, and Softpress can follow users.

Ian has mentioned that he’s not quite sure how to use Twitter for Softpress. I think you should use it in the way you’d use your own Twitter account. Obviously tweet about Freeway and Softpress, but also tweet about other stuff, Mac news, general news, facts on Freeway, that type of thing.

James

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden