Spread out scale over 10 frets

Hi Jeremy,
Brilliant, brilliant project! Thank you so much for making this.
I just switched to 4ths tuning, and am re-learning all my scales etc…
So, what I’m trying to do is spread the scales out over 10 frets with the root in the middle of the E string.
This lets me see the shapes on the neck in a way that’s pretty useful for me.
So, here’s me trying this on one of my fave scales, the C Lydian Dominant:
http://www.giphy.com/gifs/XxlkLwM0bUKtfke06E
Maybe I’m doing something wrong or missing a setting, but it re-spells the whole thing as an arpeggio each time I add a note, and I can’t switch it back to C Lydian Dom.
So I guess my Q is: is there a way to freeze the spelling so that when I add dots it doesn’t try to interpret, and every D is just 2, E is 3, etc…?
Thanks!
John

Hi John,

What is happening is that when you add a note that already exists (on another string) Fretspace interprets the shape as an arpeggio rather than a scale (because of the duplicated note).

You can prevent this happening by entering the name manually. If you’re starting out with an existing C Lydian Dominant shape:

1. Select the box name and copy it (Command-C)
  2. Add a note (Fretspace will change the name at this point)
  3. Select the box name and paste back the name you copied

After you have done this, Fretspace will no longer change the name. If you want to revert back to having the name be automatically chosen (when you have finished adding/removing notes) you can select the name a second time and delete it.

You might also find that selecting C Lydian Dominant in the scale finder and choosing “Diagonal” in the “Shape” popup gets you close to what you are looking for.

Jeremy

PS The nice thing about “diagonal” shapes is that they repeat the same finger/note pattern across string pairs - so if you learn the pattern for one pair of strings, you can repeat it on the next two pairs.

Jeremy

1 Like