Suggestions for the right CMS Demo / Concept Build tools to use…

Todd,

Thanks for the rapid reply.

“bit more” powerful — One of the features I’d like to highlight in a proof-of-concept piece is dynamic interaction with the user. In this case, the user selects a set of options (or none at all) and the content delivered to the screen (appropriate text, audio, video) is based on those selections. This is more interactive than I believe WebYep can handle. I’d rather not simply build dummy interactions as I have a ton of easily installed content from which to draw.

“relatively easy” — Yeh, I knew that was a stupid way of putting it when I hit “send.”
I’ve never bothered to learn hard-core languages because of my work history. I tend toward management of projects and am happy to hire the incredible skills of code poets. To me, “relatively easy” in terms of a CMS would equate it to Freeway Pro. While there are many easier tools out there with which one can build a website than FP, there are also tons more difficult. I understand the tradeoffs one needs to address when using WYSIWYG tools. While FP is fantastic, I don’t know that it has ever really measured up 100% to the pitch of letting it handle “the code.” To get something relatively sophisticated done with FP, one does need to know the basics of HTML and other applicable languages and SQL databases. That said, FP beats the pants off of hand-coding a site from scratch.

With the flurry of WYSIWYG web design tools all touting ease of use with “complete flexibility” in design, I’ve also noticed quite a buzz in the world of CMSs. It seems that many have blurred the line between web design and CMS tool. At the highest end of the scale one finds tools like eZ Publisher. Clearly it will do everything one could ever imagine and then some. Even for their “tiny” Silver edition, $12,900 is tough to justify for a demo piece (plus it comes with a serious learning curve). At the low end, WebYep serves its purpose but not, I’m thinking, in this case.

MODX may be a good fit and is sitting in my “to be reviewed” folder, as is your tutorial. If I use FP 7, I’d like the CMS to essentially be on par in terms of ease of use, hence my phraseology “relatively easy.” Alternatively, if there is a good integrated CMS/WYSIWYG web tool out there, I’d be willing to give it a serious try, as long as it isn’t hog-tied by templates (e.g. Joomla et al).

Again, thanks…

Robert

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: