Tables

I use tables extensively in Freeway. What should I use (and how) to replace tables in Xway?

At the moment, it’s hard to do. You would need to create some inline divs to act as cells, nested in another div that acts like a row. It has none of the semantic qualities of a real table, so for true tabular data, it’s not ideal. The benefit of such an approach is that you can cause it to decompose into a different shape at a narrow screen width. So instead of this:

cell | cell | cell | cell

At a narrow screen it could look like this:

cell
cell
cell
cell

Xway doesn’t make this easy at the moment, I tried doing it earlier in b1. Perhaps b2 (any week now!) will have more styling hooks that would let you create this kind of construction. The other thing is that I believe Jeremy has mentioned that eventually you will be able to make tables. I mean, there’s a real semantic reason to put data in tables. Now you would never use a table for layout and visual structure any more, but you might need to show tabular data to a visitor.

Walter

On Feb 29, 2020, at 3:02 PM, Daniel R. Earl email@hidden wrote:

I use tables extensively in Freeway. What should I use (and how) to replace tables in Xway?

Walter, thanks much for the explanation. I sure hope we’re able to use tables in the final version.

Hi Daniel,

Walter, thanks much for the explanation. I sure hope we’re able to use tables in the final version.

Tables are on the to-do list.

Jeremy