text fields -- enter key no longer works

Recently I’ve had a strange experience when editing a text field. Once I start typing text, there is NO WAY to finish editing using the keyboard. None of the usual tricks work: option-return, command-return, enter, or escape. The only way out is for me to take a hand off the keyboard, switch to the mouse, and click on another tool in the toolbar.

This happens in every document, old or new, and deleting the preference files (~/Library/Preferences com.PurgatoryDesign.Intaglio*) then restarting Intaglio didn’t help.

Has anyone encountered this before? Am I going crazy, or shouldn’t option-return (among other things) allow the user to finish editing a text field?

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

p.s. to be clear, when I say “finish editing” I mean that the flashing cursor should go away, the text field object should be selected, and additional keystrokes should be interpreted as selecting another tool rather than adding text to the field.

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Hit the ⊼-key to finish text editing or selecting the whole text when text-box is selected.

Cheers

Frank

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

On 8 Mar 2016, at 00:01, Frank email@hidden wrote:

Hit the ⊼-key to finish text editing or selecting the whole text when text-box is selected.

You’ve used the NAND operand. It’s U+2324 ⌤ UP ARROWHEAD BETWEEN TWO HORIZONAL BARS that’s used for Enter. :slight_smile:

Michael Everson * http://www.evertype.com/

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Unfortunately the Enter key doesn’t work. Neither do option-return, command-return, or escape.

Frank, were you indicating Enter (on the keypad), or some other key perhaps?

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

By the way, when I have a text object selected, I can BEGIN editing it using either Enter or option-return, so I know my keyboard is working and the keystrokes are being intercepted by Intaglio.

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Whatever it takes:
http://s9.postimg.org/tb1id72v3/Apple_Keyboard.jpg

Cheers

Frank

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks for the graphic, Frank. :slight_smile: Unfortunately that’s the key I was thinking of, and it doesn’t work. What’s very strange is that the enter key was working just a few hours ago. But now, not at all. I’m hoping someone reading this forum might have a suggestion for what settings I can fiddle with. Deleting the preferences hasn’t helped.

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Is this then maybe an OS X issue? I´m still on Yosemite. What are you on? And have you updated to the latest Intaglio build (3.9.4 • 28. January 2016)?

Cheers

Frank

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

I’m running OS 10.9.5, Intaglio v 3.9.4.

I’m mostly interested in suggestions for which files might contain some kind of preferences or settings. Deleting the files named ~/Library/Preferences com.PurgatoryDesign.Intaglio* didn’t seem change the behavior.

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

You have restarted the computer, right?

BN

On Mar 8, 2016, at 1:41 PM, Jeff email@hidden wrote:

I’m running OS 10.9.5, Intaglio v 3.9.4.

I’m mostly interested in suggestions for which files might contain some kind of preferences or settings. Deleting the files named ~/Library/Preferences com.PurgatoryDesign.Intaglio* didn’t seem change the behavior.

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Yes, I tried a restart, but that didn’t fix it.

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Are you really sure about the latest Intaglio Update? Please download from the website and install over; http://www.purgatorydesign.com/Intaglio/download.html
I had an text-tool issue here and it got fixed in the meantime:
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

Cheers

Frank

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Yep, it’s the latest Intaglio, freshly downloaded from the website. Reinstalling the app itself didn’t help.

Given that the malfunction is confined to cases where I’m editing text, I think some other part of Intaglio is intercepting the keystrokes, such as one of the inspector panes. These panes are context-dependent, insofar as when I start editing text a few of them change. For example, if I select a text object and hit Enter to begin editing, the Dimensions inspector has several elements that go from grayed out to being active. If some other inspector pane had a user interface element that also became active, it might be spuriously intercepting the Enter keystroke.

That’s why I’d like to try reseting all preferences. The only files I could find to delete are ~/Library/Preferences com.PurgatoryDesign.Intaglio*. There must be more, because deleting those doesn’t reset the inspector pane positions. Can anyone point me to where the additional settings are stored?

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

There´s more:
http://s23.postimg.org/61k1u97t7/Intaglio_PLIST.jpg

Cheers

Frank

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Hey gang,

I’m happy to report that I found a fix. The solution was to delete the system symbolichotkeys file and all Intaglio files I could find (listed below), then restart and zap the PRAM. When I put a copy of the deleted files back into their original places, the problem didn’t return, so I could safely return to my previous settings.

FYI, just deleting files and restarting wasn’t enough; the PRAM zap was critical. In retrospect, that step alone might have been sufficient.

Thanks all for your suggestions!

deleted files:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist

~/Library/Autosave Information/com.PurgatoryDesign.Intaglio.plist

~/Library/Saved Application State/com.PurgatoryDesign.Intaglio.savedState/
~/Library/Saved Application State/com.PurgatoryDesign.Intaglio.savedState/data.data
~/Library/Saved Application State/com.PurgatoryDesign.Intaglio.savedState/window_1.data
~/Library/Saved Application State/com.PurgatoryDesign.Intaglio.savedState/windows.plist

~/Library/Application Support/Intaglio/*

~/Library/Autosave Information/com.PurgatoryDesign.Intaglio.plist

~/Library/Preferences/com.PurgatoryDesign.Intaglio.plist

/private/var/db/BootCaches//app.com.PurgatoryDesign.Intaglio.playlist

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

On 7 Mar 2016, 11:51 pm, Jeff wrote:

Recently I’ve had a strange experience when editing a text field. Once I start typing text, there is NO WAY to finish editing using the keyboard. None of the usual tricks work: option-return, command-return, enter, or escape. The only way out is for me to take a hand off the keyboard, switch to the mouse, and click on another tool in the toolbar.

Jeff, I experienced something similar. I found that the line segment in the tool bar was locked. I had locked it using a right click. To unlock it, I right clicked line segment and unlocked. Have fun.

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Well done! Unlocking the line segment tool fixed it. I think this counts as a genuine bug, so I’ll email the dev.

Steps to reproduce:

• lock the line segment tool
  • create a text field
  • type text
  • enter key does not work

Thanks, Jean!

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden