Text over inserted images

Hey Jame’s,

Two questions

How do you print over an image? You once told me Xway doesn’t have floating boxes.

Also, you had a query regarding starting a new line straight under the one above, similar to Shift/Return , this doesn’t work with Xway. You suggested, iirc, to print out the text in a text editor then cut and paste. I tried this but once pasted there is still a space between the two lines.

Below is the url I designed in Freeway which I’m trying to replicate in Xway you see my problem with the Header.

Regards
Peter A-B
https://w121som.co.uk

Hi Peter,

Xway doesn’t yet have float-left and float-right boxes, but they wouldn’t help with placing text over an image.

Your link doesn’t work for me, but one way to place text over an image would be to put the image inside a container box (div) and add a second box with text within the container. Then set the second (text) box to have absolute position.

Generally, you need to be careful when using absolute position: it’s not a good idea to use absolute positioning as your primary way of positioning items, but I think it should work fine in this case.

Using a container for the image (and text box) will prevent the image from being used inline with text. It will need to stand on a separate line.

Jeremy

Also, you had a query regarding starting a new line straight under the one above, similar to Shift/Return , this doesn’t work with Xway. You suggested, iirc, to print out the text in a text editor then cut and paste. I tried this but once pasted there is still a space between the two lines.

Do you mean adding a line-break which doesn’t start a new paragraph?

Text handling - #2 by Jeremy

Jeremy

Hey James,

Thank you for the ultra fast reply. Yes it was the line break I wanted not the new paragraph.

The url fir some reason does not transfer the .co.uk for some reason so if you try again with this it should work. https://W121SoM.co.uk

I’ll see if your fix for adding text on top of an image works. Take care.

Regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

I think that a better solution would be to use a background image on an ordinary (text) box. You can choose a background image from the Background section of the Box Inspector.

Adding a markup item with
(as mentioned in the other thread) should work for line breaks.

Jeremy

Morning Jeremy,

Further to this problem with starting a new line instead of a new paragraph when return is pressed. instead of pressing shift/return I tried control/return and it works. I can’t understand why I didn’t try these other combinations before.

I hope this helps the other guy that wrote in with this problem.

Regards,

Peter.

On 8 Feb 2021, at 16:00, Jeremy Hughes <email@hidden> wrote:

Hi Peter,

I think that a better solution would be to use a background image on an ordinary (text) box. You can choose a background image from the Background section of the Box Inspector.

Adding a markup item with
(as mentioned in the other thread) should work for line breaks.

Jeremy

Hi Peter – Xway doesn’t currently support line breaks; it only generates full paragraph breaks. This will come of course, but we’re still in beta world. You can get what you want relatively simply, albeit with a bit of clutter: click in your text where you want the line break, and instead of typing Return, choose Insert > Markup. In the sheet that drops down, do these two things:

• Type “
    ” (without the quotes)
  • Click the ‘Inline’ checkbox (so Xway knows this snippet of markup code is to be used inline within a run of text)

The problem you will have now is that the line in your Xway editing view WON’T be broken at all while the generated code as shown in Xway’s preview or in a browser WILL have the desired line break. Not ideal, but keep reminding yourself that this is a temporary situation. :slight_smile:

k

Thanks Keith. Still on the learning curve. I’ll stick a post-it on my screen to remind me it’s Beta Mode!!!

Appreciate the help.

Regards,
Peter.

On 12 Feb 2021, at 15:54, ThatKeith via groups.io <Thatkeith=email@hidden> wrote:

Hi Peter – Xway doesn’t currently support line breaks; it only generates full paragraph breaks. This will come of course, but we’re still in beta world. You can get what you want relatively simply, albeit with a bit of clutter: click in your text where you want the line break, and instead of typing Return, choose Insert > Markup. In the sheet that drops down, do these two things:

• Type “
    ” (without the quotes)
  • Click the ‘Inline’ checkbox (so Xway knows this snippet of markup code is to be used inline within a run of text)

The problem you will have now is that the line in your Xway editing view WON’T be broken at all while the generated code as shown in Xway’s preview or in a browser WILL have the desired line break. Not ideal, but keep reminding yourself that this is a temporary situation. :slight_smile:

k

If you add Peter’s suggestion of typing control-return to get a visual ‘line break’ in the design view as step 3 in Keith’s list then you’ll get what I think you are after.

A line of text[your manually inserted
][control-return]
Another line of text