The Day X - allow me a note

The day X is far away. I guess something between 2 and 4 years. Whatsoever, many people are seeking for an adequate substitution of FreewayPro. This is damn fair, cause we can’t afford standstill. I thought about boring you with my personal thoughts and finally decided to do - I mean to bore you :slight_smile: - it was a spontaneous decision wrapping this up in a video message.

There are different approaches and attitudes - some of you already made your decisions.

I decided to ride the Freeway some miles more - but to include the off-ramp.

This is open to discuss. Everything is accepted. Questions are allowed. And I’m happy if you drop me note. You don’t like it? Let me know it anyway.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Thanks Thomas, really interesting viewing.

I too am looking to find an alternative to run alongside FW. I have tried Mobirise and Blocs and both are easy to use but Pinegrow looks interesting. The 7 day trial is a problem though, not because it will take longer than 7 straight days to get up and running but because, like a lot of people, I have to fit that learning into a busy work schedule so it seems a bit short on their part.

Anyway, I like how you can open a Freeway site and edit content but can you swap images and make changes to the page structure easily? Also, do you have a sceencast for starting a Pinegrow site from scratch?

Thanks again for all your input, I may not post much but you and a lot of others have really helped me.

Regards

Mark

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Mark,

haven’t got more than this. Creating videos requires a plan, a lot of time and effort - so not on my schedule right now.

but can you swap images and make changes to the page structure easily?

It depends on how you define “Easiness”. Basically and in all honesty, I wouldn’t call it a Walk in the park. But manageable. I did images - it works great.

The crazy cool thing is, that it currently fits in my thinking which is:

“Classes are the new actions”.

Or in other words:

It’s possible to create “Master Page Content”. It’s possible to create predefined and reusable elements. With a set of class styles shared on a single css-file, you can offer kind of basic library stuff. Or in other words: It’s somehow possible to make Pinegrow a lil bit Freewayable (if to say so).

It will be work - perhaps a lil bit too much of it for a single person like me. But who knows?

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hi Thomas, I’ve actually downloaded a PG trial and I tried editing an existing Freeway site as you did and I was really pleased to find that most things are editable in Pinegrow. I say most because I haven’t tried everything yet!

Text changes are a breeze and changing background pictures also works well. This is great news because if and when we get to the day that freeway grinds to a halt, at least I know that I can maintain some older FW sites for clients.

Building a site from scratch was, for me, the biggest benefit of FW. It allowed me to create and design from a blank canvas. This is the main reason why Rapidweaver out of the box is not for me. With Pinegrow, I was pleased to see the “blocks” option which allows me to quickly drag in elements to a page while I’m still at the bottom of the learning curve, but with the facility of creating from scratch as I progress.

I have a limited knowledge of code and I have been searching for a book or online course to help me in this respect (any recommendations would be welcome) but I think that Pinegrow will also be a good “teacher.”

I know some people on here (including your good self) used Freeway to learn about code but I found myself needing to get sites done quickly and on a budget so I didn’t really have time for that.

I am now in a position that I need to learn and I will use Pinegrow alongside Freeway and force myself to find the time!

I’m actually feeling quite good about this now - thank you for your screencast because that was the catalyst!

Regards

Mark

PS: Have you joined Walter’s Google Group yet?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Mark,

excellent! Well - regarding “teaching” I did a lot in the past (free and paid video courses available on my page). Currently I’m really thinking of a “conversion from FW to …” basic series. I mean the things you need to know.

The problem is, that there are thousands of good literature about web-design. But there is nothing, explaining a Freeway-user the wild world from its view. That’s a challenge. Let’s see - soon I have holidays and perhaps a bit of free time minding about it.

Meanwhile try out a couple of more things. The more you know the better. Yes - I joined the new destination yesterday - just in case :slight_smile:

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

@Mark When launching Pinegrow there’s a message about contacting the dev if you need to extend the trial beyond 7 days. Problem solved.

@Thomas, the Atom integration is pretty cool. Have you tried it? I’m playing with it now.

They also have a Slack Team. I’m waiting on my invitation.

Todd
Office (Chicago): 312.212.3955

The 7 day trial is a problem though

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hi Todd,

haven’t had yet (saw it in a video) - but will do.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

OK - done and Atom is obviously cool! So my new workflow would be:

Pinegrow, Atom, CodeKit and Dropbox.

I already joined the Slack team, honestly Slack sucks though. Especially when a group grows, it’s so tiring reading and finding some stuff.

Now it’s time to create a basic stylesheet which is reusable for all further projects from scratch.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden