Trying to use Exhibeo to create gallery pages - almost there?

My only experience with website building is having used Freeway for many years to create and maintain my own website. I am trying to make a replacement website using Xway. I have the basic framework of the site set up and working well - about 6 pages so far.

I now need to create a few gallery pages to display my artwork. Each of these pages would contain 10 or 20 images with captions. This seemed to be difficult with Xway, so I am trying to use Exhibeo to create the content of the pages and then use Iframes to include those images in the individual gallery pages as was suggested in another thread here.

I have created one such gallery with Exhibeo, but so far I am unable to get it to appear when I do a preview of the Xway page. Hopefully there is an easy fix. Can anyone advise me?

In more detail, here’s what I’ve done:

1. I created a sample gallery page in Exhibeo and exported it as HTML. That produced a folder containing four folders labelled css, image, js, and theme plus two files: ExhibeoExport.html and index.html.

2. When I click on the index.html file, the appropriate stuff appears in my browser window.

3. Clicking on ExhibeoExport.html, I get the following instructions followed by a window containing html code.

Add Exhibeo to your site

Copy the code by clicking the Copy to clipboard button below.
Paste the code in your tag where you’d like it to appear.
Upload the css, js, image, and theme folders to your server next to the page containing the code.

Copy to clipboard Preview

1. Presumably, this cut and paste is to be done if you are coding in html or using this with Freeway (somehow).

2. On page 87 of the Xway user guide, it explains that Iframes can point to URLs.

3. I uploaded the three Exhibeo folders and two files and then added the URL of the index.html file in the Xway Iframe.

4. When I try to preview the gallery page in Xway, I don’t get the Exhibeo generated gallery - just a blank space that is roughly the size of the Iframe box.

So, do I need to do something with this cut and paste? If so, can you tell me where to put it? If not, what else should I be trying?

I have the same problem. I’ve spent hours on this and ended up creating a link from a gallery photo in Xway to an unrelated site created in Freeway, where the gallery works fine. An awful workaround, but those visting the gallery don’t notice the change of URL, and I have a menu on the Freeway page that links back to the Xway site.

Geoff

Hi Art,

I think the easiest way to use Exhibeo galleries in b2 would be to put the HTML in a markup item.

Xway b3 will have direct support for Exhibeo import.

Jeremy

Thanks, Jeremy. That seems to work. If anyone else tries this, please note that if the Exhibeo galleries are all of the same type, the css, js, and theme folders appear to be the same, so you only need one copy of them. You need (I think) to combine the image folders into a single image folder. At least, that’s what worked for me. I still have a lot of tweaking to do before I can upload this, but I think it will look good.

Thanks for your response, Geoff, but the complication is using Freeway from Catalina. I was looking for a way around that.

I’m still using OS 10.13.6 and afraid of moving to Catalina as many of my Adobe products won’t work unless I move to their subscription system, which as a casual user, I can’t afford to do. And Freeway, of course.

As an aside Geoff. You should perhaps take a look at Serif’s Affinity range. They are very similar, high end and incredibly good value compared to Adobe. Unfortunately, you will have just missed an amazing half price deal for covid19, but even then, they are still fantastic value. I bought into Affinity Photo at vs 1.0 for 39eur. That was almost 4 years ago. I’ve had regular updates, with big feature improvements. So that’s ~10eur per year and still decreasing. :slightly_smiling_face:

I use VMWare Fusion and have created a virtual machine copy of OS X 10.11. Within that I run Adobe Creative Suite CS6 and Freeway. My main computer runs 10.15.6. Working in the virtual machine is slower than running natively but it’s a reasonable compromise for me at least. I also have Serif’s Affinity range but have struggled to get in to them to be honest and keep going back to the old Adobe CS6 apps.

After 35 years use, I moved from Adobe (do not like the constraints of subscription or its heavy pricing) to Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher, it is fantastically priced and if your an Adobe creative suite user, its a minor learning curve before it becomes second nature to use. The lack of continuation from Freeway to full Xray has caused me problems, I have to use an old laptop running Maverick to maintain my sites, but eagerly look forward to the finished product. Smaller companies like Softpress and Affinity are needed when global software companies dominate the market to the point where they impose rather than reciprocate.

I burnt my bridges so to speak, my old Mac died and my new 27" Mac came with Catalina, so there was no ‘sneaking’ back to Adobe as I was not prepared to pay by ongoing subscription. It was probably for the best that I could not sneak back when an Affinity way of doing a particular function differed from the Adobe way I was used to. With a few acceptions (lack of artistic filters etc) I am now comfortably embedded with Affinity and never go back to Adobe, so stick with it and you will be rewarded. However, I have not found an acceptable alternative to Freeway and will continue to use it on my old laptop and wait patiently for the Catalina friendly full program Xray.

My time span with Adobe’s is similar to yours Nick. I actually have a boxed copy of Photoshop vs 1.0 sitting on the bookshelf in my studio. I believe it may have been the first copy ever sold in London, as there were only two places you could buy it at the time and they had to pre-order it for me (to go along with my £6,000 Mac, which I bought specifically to use Photoshop). I largely dumped Adobe in the mid 90s when Live Picture appeared and could be used for compositing actual professional work (~300Mb files) but continued to use Photoshop as a ‘toolbox’ for a number of things. Their ‘buy and kill’ strategy also annoyed me a lot, because they were killing innovation and also their general sloppiness regarding quality just wore me down. Another spew of ‘critical’ security alerts in their products this week. I agree with Steve Jobs really.

Much like XWay, Affinity products don’t have old code in them and as an interesting teaser, I have an iPad Pro and it runs some aspects of Affinity incredibly fast. As Apple have now announced that they are moving Macs to ARM to accompany iOS devices, this is going to give a lot of apps a significant bump. That said though, I do miss the astonishing speed of Live Picture’s extraordinary vector based system, compared to everyone else’s number crunching pixel based systems.

Gordon … there is a very active online community for the Affinity range. Searching within it will quite easily find answers to most of your questions about coming from Adobe products, because loads of Adobe users have already asked the same questions.

QuarkXpress is supposed to convert legacy InDesign files. However I’m still in contact with Quark’s support team as it is not converting my CS5 files.

Worth looking into, as you can get a trial version to see if it works for you.

Neale Rowlands
email@hidden

On Jul 27, 2020, at 7:08 AM, grantsymon <email@hidden> wrote:

My time span with Adobe’s is similar to yours Nick. I actually have a boxed copy of Photoshop vs 1.0 sitting on the bookshelf in my studio. I believe it may have been the first copy ever sold in London, as there were only two places you could buy it at the time and they had to pre-order it for me (to go along with my £6,000 Mac, which I bought specifically to use Photoshop). I largely dumped Adobe in the mid 90s when Live Picture appeared and could be used for compositing actual professional work (~300Mb files) but continued to use Photoshop as a ‘toolbox’ for a number of things. Their ‘buy and kill’ strategy also annoyed me a lot, because they were killing innovation and also their general sloppiness regarding quality just wore me down. Another spew of ‘critical’ security alerts in their products this week. I agree with Steve Jobs really.

Much like XWay, Affinity products don’t have old code in them and as an interesting teaser, I have an iPad Pro and it runs some aspects of Affinity incredibly fast. As Apple have now announced that they are moving Macs to ARM to accompany iOS devices, this is going to give a lot of apps a significant bump. That said though, I do miss the astonishing speed of Live Picture’s extraordinary vector based system, compared to everyone else’s number crunching pixel based systems.

Gordon … there is a very active online community for the Affinity range. Searching within it will quite easily find answers to most of your questions about coming from Adobe products, because loads of Adobe users have already asked the same questions.

Have you downloaded the free QuarkXPress Document Converter? That opens very early XPress files, so it might work with CS5. I could never get on with InDesign, so have used XPress since 1990.
I’ve tried Affinity as a replacement for Illustrator, but having used the latter since the late 80s I’m hanging on as long as I can. When XWay becomes a complete replacement from Freeweay, then I’ll move to Catalina and ditch Adobe.

We will be releasing Xway b3, with direct support for Exhibeo galleries, early next week.

Jeremy