Updating a site from Freeway 5 to Freeway 7

If you type (or better: copy/paste) the following command into Terminal, it should list the places where helloworld.fwaction can be found:

find / -name "helloworld.fwaction" 2>/dev/null

(The 2>/dev/null bit at the end discards errors, such as “Permission denied”)

Jeremy this didnt retrieve anything at all.

1 YES
2 YES
3 Listed in ‘General’ Not ‘user’ or applications.
4 I think the sctions do work if they are meant to.
5 No errors at all at publishing.

regards Adam

The Edit Actions dialog is a little confusing, but there should be some checkboxes at the left. There are three possible top-level checkboxes: Document, Application, and User. The first is Actions that are in the Document, but not elsewhere. The second is Actions that are bundled within the application. The third is Actions that have been installed separately.

Then there are further subdivisions, and General is one of those.

So the question is really: are the Actions you install listed under “User” rather than “Application” within the top-level checkboxes? If you close/reopen the Application and User disclosure triangles, which of these contains helloworld.fwaction?

If you insert the “Hello World!” Action on a page, does it display “Hello World!” when you preview? You can insert it by selecting it from the Action Item submenu in the Insert menu.

The find command can take a while to complete. You know when it’s completed because the Terminal prompt (possibly “>”) reappears at the left.

Sorry I get you now Jeremy, yes they are in user.

We are there Jeremy. I finally found it. The terminal did work after a while. I had just rundisk first aid and a restart so maybe that was slowing it down. It did find the folder and it was exactly where it was meant to be. I had been looking at the main library folder because I could find the user folder, it wasnt showing in my folder list. But seeing your action in the terminal proved it was there , so with a bit of scouting there was an option to show the library which had been unchecked. I dont know how this had happened but it had. Thank you for all your help on this. Now onto finding out whether I can fix the EE action or find another way of attaching my tags to the beginning and end of my layers.

regards

Adam

Great!

Another recap:

1. Your current site is built in Freeway 5.5 and works fine
  2. But the Freeway 7 site doesn’t work when it’s uploaded

All true?

If that’s the case, we think the simplest thing would be to give you a Freeway 5.5 serial number (along with a Freeway 7 serial number) if you purchase an upgrade to Freeway 7. You can use your Freeway 5 serial number to upgrade.

That way you can decide whether it’s worth spending time on getting EE to work with Freeway 7.

If you decide to do this, send us an email (support at softpress dot com) when you’ve upgraded.

Jeremy

Other than some movement issues and the EE action not working I could get 7 going. Is this a site that would work in Xway long term. Would it benefit from using markup rather than relying on an action if I can?

I already have the 7 upgrade bought and paid for. I will try and get the 7 working as I love using Freeway. Will the 5.5 work on my my imac, a serial number would be great just in case? I’ve been using my G5 forever for old apps, It will give up the ghost one day.

Again thank you for your patience.

regards

Adam

Hi Adam,

Freeway 5.5 will run on the same versions of macOS as Freeway 7. If you send us an email (support at softpress dot com), we can send you a 5.5 serial number.

Whether it’s worth using markup items in Freeway 7, I’m not sure. If you run into additional problems, it might be simplest to continue using 5.5 until you’re ready to switch over to Xway.

Walter (@waltd ) wrote a Crowbar Action that may be helpful if you do have problems with Freeway markup items: this extracts the markup content from additional tags that Freeway wraps around it.

I also wrote another Action that lets you wrap code around an HTML item directly. It’s rather unimaginatively named TagWrap. TagWrap - ActionsForge

This may duplicate some of the functionality of one or another of the EE actions.

Walter

1 Like

Im using crowbar everywhere Jeremy its excellent. The only reason I didnt start with Xway was the learning curve and that it was still in Beta last time I looked. I will keep an eye on it and maybe start asking some questions in relation to my site. I did read I can open a Freeway file in it so It would be a full rebuild I think. I’ll send over an email shortly.

regards

Adam

Xway doesn’t read Freeway files yet, but you can import content from Freeway or a web browser - there’s an appendix on this in the Xway User Guide.

It’s in beta because there are some core features we’re still working on, including upload, but the code is release quality rather than beta quality.

Freeway (all versions) behaves very much like page layout applications like QuarkXPress and InDesign. A Freeway document doesn’t contain the original images that you use in your site, rather it maintains references to them. It’s like a recipe for assembling the pages, not the pages themselves. What it does contain are “proxy” versions of those images, stored at a lower resolution than the original. In a pinch, if it can’t find the original, it will use the proxy to publish, but always at a lower final quality.

Moving a Freeway document to another machine involves moving and re-linking all of those referenced images as well.

If I recall correctly, there’s a whole section of the manual about re-connecting lost resources.

Walter

Its OK Walter I had done everything right image wise, Freeway knew where they all were. I just forgot that I had to do a double upload the site to different folders to get the resources outside of Expression Engines brain because it didnt like connecting to the graphics inside its precious folder system . Thats why I deleted the post. I found I had written what to do to the side of my main Freeway page to do this but had missed it.

Thank you for your response on a weekend, much appreciated.

regards

Adam

No problem. And I interact with this list via e-mail, so there’s no such thing as a deleted post!

Walter