Uploading web site

With no Upload option as yet, it’s suggested that an FTP programme is used (I use Fetch). I can see that my single xway file contains – document.plist (no idea what that is), a Resources folder containing most of the jpegs I’ve used, and a Site folder. Inside the Site folder are the HTML pages and another Resources folder that contains all the jpegs I have used.
Presumably the xway file is uploaded as one ‘lump’. Will the index.html page be automatically located when the site is searched? Also, is there a reason why one of the Resources folders omits two of the jpegs I’ve used?
And less importantly, why do some of the jpegs have red tags?
Thanks
Geoff

The only part of an Xway (or Freeway) document that you need to upload to your server is the Site folder. Specifically, the contents of the Site folder should be mirrored to the folder on your server that contains your site. You don’t need to upload the document.plist (which is a machine-readable list of all the details and contents of the site, but nothing that a Web server would understand or concern itself with) or the xway file (bundle) itself. Whatever is in the Site folder is the generated artifacts from the site design process that your Web server needs. Nothing more, and nothing less.

In Freeway, the process of “uploading” a site consists of Freeway doing a remote synch of the Site folder and the server’s “web root folder” as configured in the Document Setup dialog. Any files that are new or newer on the Mac than the server are uploaded, any files that have been removed on the Mac side and still exist on the server side are deleted from the server. Any files that are identical are left alone and not modified in either place. In Freeway, the database file that tracks this is called _siteinfo, and exists only on the Site folder side of things. It’s the rough equivalent of the document.plist

The top-level Resources folder is a place where any images you copied into your Xway document are gathered and sourced for use within Xway. This is similar to the Media folder you may recall from Freeway. I don’t know what governs the process of deciding which resources to gather there. There may be some rules that say that a particular file should be referenced from its original location on your Mac, rather than being copied into the document bundle itself. The reason it exists and has any files in it at all is as a convenience for you, the designer. If the original file gets moved or deleted, you have the hidden copy to fall back on. One of my most frequently-answered Freeway questions has to do with “re-attaching” files that have gone missing because they were moved in Finder while the Freeway document that referenced them was not open. This feature strikes me as a means of heading off that problem at the pass.

In any case, this outer Resources folder is not referenced by your Web documents, those paths are all relative to the Resources folder within the Site folder. That Site folder/Resources folder is managed by Xway during the publish process, and the files within it are constantly being deleted and re-made as necessary. It’s very important that you not use that folder as the source of any resources that you place on the pages of your site (think Inception, or if you want a deeper reference, Flick’s “tunnel inside a tunnel problem” from A Bug’s Life).

I can’t answer any of the other questions, and defer to Jeremy.

Hope this helps,

Walter

On Dec 28, 2019, at 4:07 AM, Geoff Mullett email@hidden wrote:

With no Upload option as yet, it’s suggested that an FTP programme is used (I use Fetch). I can see that my single xway file contains – document.plist (no idea what that is), a Resources folder containing most of the jpegs I’ve used, and a Site folder. Inside the Site folder are the HTML pages and another Resources folder that contains all the jpegs I have used.
Presumably the xway file is uploaded as one ‘lump’. Will the index.html page be automatically located when the site is searched? Also, is there a reason why one of the Resources folders omits two of the jpegs I’ve used?
Thanks
Geoff

Thanks for that. I’ve successfully uploaded one of my simple sites and it’s pleasing to see it sizingf correctly on phones etc. I gave up trying to do that with Freeway.
I’m surprised the upload facility wasn’t included with this first offering of Xway. Doubltess it’s a simple task for professional users, but as FTP software can’t see inside the Xway file, the process of control-clicking to show its contents, then creating a duplicate of the contents of the site folder elsewhere to enable the FTP programme to see it and upload it, is a real faf!
Hopefully the second release will remedy this.
Geoff

Hi Geoff,

It’s easy to locate the Site folder from Xway (without any control-clicking): you can do this by choosing Show Site Folder from the File menu (underneath Publish and Preview).

The reason we haven’t added an Upload option is because there are third-party programs which can do this and we’ve been concentrating on more essential functionality. Freeway didn’t have an Upload command until version 2, and we sometimes have to advise users to use a third-party FTP program with recent versions of Freeway (if their FTP server is incompatible for some reason).

Jeremy

On 29 Dec 2019, at 15:18, Geoff Mullett email@hidden wrote:

Thanks for that. I’ve successfully uploaded one of my simple sites and it’s pleasing to see it sizingf correctly on phones etc. I gave up trying to do that with Freeway.
I’m surprised the upload facility wasn’t included with this first offering of Xway. Doubltess it’s a simple task for professional users, but as FTP software can’t see inside the Xway file, the process of control-clicking to show its contents, then creating a duplicate of the contents of the site folder elsewhere to enable the FTP programme to see it and upload it, is a real faf!
Hopefully the second release will remedy this.

Hi Geoff,

Also, is there a reason why one of the Resources folders omits two of the jpegs I’ve used?

Xway should publish any resources that are needed. The only situation I can think of in which resources might not be published is if they are used on pages that are set to not publish (Publish checkbox is turned off in Page Inspector.)

This might happen if the original JPEGs that you imported had red tags. Xway copies the images that you imported, but it doesn’t add any tags to them.

Jeremy

maybe not the smartest question… but right now i’m uloading all html pages piece for piece to the html public folder, and the jpegs to the resources folder, piece by piece. using the directadmin of the server. is there a easyer way to do that? i tried a ftp thing but it didn’t realy work at my lappy
www.vloerengilde.nl

I’m using Transmit. Its simple once you work out the root on the server and where to put the resources and folder.

As Mad said, Transmit makes this easy. Once you figure out which folder on your server (it will be named something like public_html or similar) is the actual site root, you can choose your Site folder on the left side, and with one command, “synch” the two folders. Only files that are newer will be uploaded to the server, anything that didn’t change will not be bothered with. It’s very fast and very precise.

Walter

On Dec 31, 2019, at 3:43 PM, email@hidden wrote:

maybe not the smartest question… but right now i’m uloading all html pages piece for piece to the html public folder, and the jpegs to the resources folder, piece by piece. using the directadmin of the server. is there a easyer way to do that? i tried a ftp thing but it didn’t realy work at my lappy
www.vloerengilde.nl