Version 2.9.8 Is Available

A Crop tool would be nice to have when including an image in drawing page. I noticed another problem: I could not open a JPEG file that I saved using Intaglio. I purchased this program as a possible replacement for Canvas X for the Macintosh because ACD does not plan to develop Canvas X for Intel based Macs. They think that we Mac users will buy Canvas for Windows, that has to be a joke because Mac users use the Mac because it is user friendly. Canvas Is an all in one application, complicated but powerful. I have to use Canvas or Photoshop Elements to open it, however I can drag and drop to an open Intaglio drawing. I can Crop an image in one these other programs just takes a little more time more time.

Thank you for responding to my question.

Richard

Get the scoop on last night’s hottest shows and the live music scene in your area - Check out TourTracker.com!
(http://www.tourtracker.com?NCID=aolmus00050000000112)

I do agree with you Richard, a crop tool would be nice, however it is quite possible
to do crops which are even more powerful than your standard crop tool in Intaglio
it’s all in there- I promise- you just have to work at it a little harder (and be aware
of a few weird bugs). :slight_smile:

Also, I myself never use jpeg format any more, because jpeg is notoriously bad at
being edited. Also, everytime you move a jpeg, it looses quality. It is far better in my
experience to use png files, because not only are png’s portable, but they have transparency
and edibility properties. I always save my final artwork in Intaglio to EPS or tiff (although,
I’ve been using png more than tiff recently.)

Now if Intaglio just had a built in GIS ability- that really would be cool!!!

On 13 Jul 2008, at 21:17, email@hidden wrote:

A Crop tool would be nice to have when including an image in drawing page.

Crop is easy to achieve (if not completely straightforward). The easiest way to crop an image is to mask it with a path such as a rectangle. There’s an example of this (with text instead of an image) in the sample file “catch the WAVE”. Basically you draw a shape over your image where you want your image to appear (e.g., a rectangle or circle), group the mask shape and image, and set the standard mask property in the group inspector (from the menu WIndow > Group).

There are a couple advantages to this approach. One is that the crop is non-destructive. In other words, the full image is still there so you can always resize your crop mask to include a larger portion of the original image. Another advantage is that you can crop to any shape, not just rectangles.

Regarding JPEG export, this is performed using Apple’s imaging libraries so the image quality should be the same as images exported from most Mac OS X software. I would also expect it to be creating correct images by now. It’s possible that there’s a bug there but I’d be more likely to suspect the software you’re using to read the image.

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options